Program-Specific Info / Q's Columbia OT students, I have a question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karixel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm applying to Columbia's OT program and I read that they are really big on research so they have a research part in the curriculum. Can any OT students in Columbia tell me more about it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I am currently a student at Columbia. Columbia has two research tracks that a student can chose from. You can either be a part of a research Pod where you are part of a small group and pair up with a professor who is carrying out a research project, or you can be a part of a research class (about 25 students) where there is less group work and more classroom style teaching. Both research option offer the same curriculum. The first semester everybody is in the same intro to research course. I had never done research and was nervous about it but so far it has been great! Good luck!

Hi!
I am currently a student at Columbia. Columbia has two research tracks that a student can chose from. You can either be a part of a research Pod where you are part of a small group and pair up with a professor who is carrying out a research project, or you can be a part of a research class (about 25 students) where there is less group work and more classroom style teaching. Both research option offer the same curriculum. The first semester everybody is in the same intro to research course. I had never done research and was nervous about it but so far it has been great! Good luck!
Thanks for the info! Do you come up with a research topic and actually carry out the research on the topic then?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't get to come up with your own topic but you get to chose from a bunch of topics. The professors come up with the topics. The topics are really interesting and on a wide range of occupational therapy related topics and interventions.

Ohh I see. Thank you so much for all the info! It makes me feel a little more at ease with research.