Columbia invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dromfs90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I got an invite from Columbia and wondering what they ask during the interview apart from bench test. Can seniors who did their program back when the school had International Dentist Program kindly give your input? Would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the invite!!! Didn't know they were sending out invites already, thought it would be after the 15th. Do you mind sharing your stats? and when you submitted your application? I was just looking for info on their bench test but not comming up with much.

Congrats on the invite!!! Didn't know they were sending out invites already, thought it would be after the 15th. Do you mind sharing your stats? and when you submitted your application? I was just looking for info on their bench test but not comming up with much.
How much are tuition fees at Columbia for the 2 year and a half international dental program? Can’t find it...

Members don't see this ad :)
How much are tuition fees at Columbia for the 2 year and a half international dental program? Can’t find it...
They have not posted tuition fee for the 3rd and 4th year yet. So, I do not know and they said they would post few months before the 3rd year class begins.

Reactions: 1 user

Hey,

I found this online;
Display Title: Advanced Standing Program (1st Yr, 2nd Yr, and 3rd Yr - half-year)
School: Dental Medicine
Year: 2017 - 2018
Program Points : Flat
Tuition: $67,500
Per semester

They also have a phone number you can call to speak with their financial services 212-305-4100, Just figured I'd cross that bridge when I get there.

Did you submit an app?

Hey,

I found this online;
Display Title: Advanced Standing Program (1st Yr, 2nd Yr, and 3rd Yr - half-year)
Per semester

They also have a phone number you can call to speak with their financial services 212-305-4100, Just figured I'd cross that bridge when I get there.

Did you submit an app?
Thanks, so I should wait until they post something...I haven't applied yet,but I'm gathering information for IDPs in NY.
67,500 $ x semester so that should be 135k a year??

Hey,

I found this online;
Per semester

Did you submit an app?
After some research, I found out that tuition fee for spring term 2018 ( 5.5 months) is 74,610 $ (no living expenses included).

Holly mother!

Well, Columbia always has higher tution fees, at least from what I saw.
Also, generally speaking, most other schools have a similar range near 70k dollars yearly...I'm really curious if there are schools with like 50k-60k $ tuition fees, maybe I'm too optimistic...

Last edited:
Also, generally speaking, most other schools have a similar range near 70k dollars yearly...I'm really curious if there are schools with like 50k-60k $ tuition fees, maybe I'm too optimistic...
I agree. UOP gave a quote of 336k$. UMN about 350k$. And yeah Columbia being an Ivyleague is always considered expensive. Heard it costs about 350k$ including everything at Columbia. I feel it’s worth it as they have one of the best programs.

I agree. UOP gave a quote of 336k$. UMN about 350k$. And yeah Columbia being an Ivyleague is always considered expensive. Heard it costs about 350k$ including everything at Columbia. I feel it’s worth it as they have one of the best programs.

The 3rd and 4th year at Columbia should be around 80k each ( again only tuition fees), the only downside I see is that the program is 30 months, 6 months more than the usual 2 years...also, do you know what they are looking for in your application? do you mind sharing your stats?

70 a year is fine, but you wrote 70 for 6 months multiplied by 2.5 years is 350 and this is just too much

70 a year is fine, but you wrote 70 for 6 months multiplied by 2.5 years is 350 and this is just too much

So Columbia for the first half year (5.5 months) wants 74,610k, then for the whole 3rd year is around 80k and the same goes for the 4th year...hope I cleared up the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So Columbia for the first half year (5.5 months) wants 74,610k, then for the whole 3rd year is around 80k and the same goes for the 4th year...hope I cleared up the misunderstanding.
May I ask you where the information re tuition came from?
Their admissions can't clearly tell tuition fees so I'm surprised that you know the info neither their financial department nor admissions can provide.
Thank you

May I ask you where the information re tuition came from?
Their admissions can't clearly tell tuition fees so I'm surprised that you know the info neither their financial department nor admissions can provide.
Thank you
Hi! So for the year 2017/2018 I found this on their website regarding the spring term, whereas, for the fees for the 3rd year and 4th one, I looked at those for the “ordinary” DDS/DMD course.

Attachments

• Advanced Standing 1718.pdf
    300.8 KB · Views: 75
  • dnbg17-18.pdf
    307.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hi! So for the year 2017/2018 I found this on their website regarding the spring term, whereas, for the fees for the 3rd year and 4th one, I looked at those for the “ordinary” DDS/DMD course.
I wish I had a clear figure on the tuition fees. I am trying to contact the school but no exact answer. I heard some one say 400k. I am not sure if I am willing to spend so much for 2.5 years.

Thanks. Its always more for IDP programs compared to the regular DDS program. Thats what even the admissions mentioned. So, we should add around 30K each year on the top of the regular DDS program?

Thanks. Its always more for IDP programs compared to the regular DDS program. Thats what even the admissions mentioned. So, we should add around 30K each year on the top of the regular DDS program?

30k added to the 80k per year? That's a lot...at this point NYU is cheaper...

30k added to the 80k per year? That's a lot...at this point NYU is cheaper...
Yes. Thats the difference for traditional DDS and IDP. As long as it falls under 350k, it is still fair. It is Columbia and needless to say, it is one of the most expensive schools.

Yes. Thats the difference for traditional DDS and IDP. As long as it falls under 350k, it is still fair. It is Columbia and needless to say, it is one of the most expensive schools.
Ok, let me know when you'll know the exact number for the 2 years, I'm really interested!

Thanks for replying!
Where did you get that piece of information?
They gave us the estimate today. Its my dream school but I am declining. Its way out of my budget. Good luck to the rest.

They gave us the estimate today. Its my dream school but I am declining. Its way out of my budget. Good luck to the rest.

Honestly, that's too much! I'm sure you'll have other offers from other schools in order to get the DDS/DMD degree! Don't give up!

Last edited:
I have declined for the same reason. Although I'm surprised that quite a few students accepted the invite. Around 6 I believe.

Well,on Caapid it said 15 seats,but only 14 people were invited for the interview and about 9-10 got accepted.

It's approximately 380 without housing. And it is an absolutely insane tuition.
I agree, the tuition is insane...just like UB. But what if it was your last resort? I don't mean to be pessimistic but you should always have a backup plan. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you'll be having any problem repaying your loans afterwards...

I agree, the tuition is insane...just like UB. But what if it was your last resort? I don't mean to be pessimistic but you should always have a backup plan. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you'll be having any problem repaying your loans afterwards...
If it was the only program I could get in after applying to advanced standing and residency programs I would prob be upset for a bit and then go for dental hygiene or maybe in dental sales.
I'm not willing to alter my life and struggle in order to pay back that type of debt with accruing interest of around 7% if to use a federal loan as an example. Simply not worth it. Being a dentist can be stressful and having a debt that big hanging over your head would be a kill shot.
Also I feel offended because Columbia University clearly showed foreign dentists that their DDS degree is a disadvantage to them since the cost of their regular 4 year program is much less. So theoretically Columbia is considering foreign graduates to be worse than their traditional students who knows very little of dentistry. Not really flattering esp since other programs are priced more into the favor of foreign dentists.
I'm willing to take a risk in this case, this is my personal opinion.

If it was the only program I could get in after applying to advanced standing and residency programs I would prob be upset for a bit and then go for dental hygiene or maybe in dental sales.
I'm not willing to alter my life and struggle in order to pay back that type of debt with accruing interest of around 7% if to use a federal loan as an example. Simply not worth it. Being a dentist can be stressful and having a debt that big hanging over your head would be a kill shot.
Also I feel offended because Columbia University clearly showed foreign dentists that their DDS degree is a disadvantage to them since the cost of their regular 4 year program is much less. So theoretically Columbia is considering foreign graduates to be worse than their traditional students who knows very little of dentistry. Not really flattering esp since other programs are priced more into the favor of foreign dentists.
I'm willing to take a risk in this case, this is my personal opinion.
Damn man. I didn't know that the tuition is more expensive for international dentists than the regular 4 years. That's a bummer. Anyway I'm sure a lot of schools would be happy to have you. Your stats must be amazing to get invited to Columbia!
Good luck man.