Columbia DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vforshort

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I got an invite from Columbia for an interview & I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Just about getting around NYC and the interview itself? Thanks so much in advance. Wish the best of luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys!

I got an invite from Columbia for an interview & I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Just about getting around NYC and the interview itself? Thanks so much in advance. Wish the best of luck to all of you!

Hello!

I was invited for an interview as well.. so although am I basically in the same position you are.. I did read the interview process is laid back and that they are more so looking at how you are personality wise. Hopefully that helps some. As for getting around NYC I have no idea.. I am coming from a few states above so I hope my GPS works well.

When is your interview date!? Mines Jan 15th. Good Luck!

Oh that actually makes me feel alot better! I'm flying in from California so this shall be interesting. My interview is Dec 4th! Good luck to you too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Well safe travels!

Let me know how it all goes! Any chance you know how many students are being interviewed in general, or during your section?
:)

Oh that helps tremendously!

:happy: thank you!

Hey!

I guess it went well because I got accepted! They let me know exactly a week from the interview date. You get a schedule at the start showing when your time is and who you have your interview with so that was nice. Honestly, just being yourself is a good tip. I didn't really rehearse or practice what I was gonna say so just be genuine. They didn't ask why I wanted to be PT, just more questions about myself. They do have your file so they may ask you question about your volunteer experience, letter of rec people, extracurriculars etc. That being said it really just depends on the faculty you get! The environment was really welcoming and they really tried hard to not make us feel nervous. Make sure you ask any questions you can to the students because that's how you're going to find out the reality of living in NY and such. Overall it was a great experience, so don't stress about it! :) Goodluck and let me know how it goes!

Hey!

I guess it went well because I got accepted! They let me know exactly a week from the interview date. You get a schedule at the start showing when your time is and who you have your interview with so that was nice. Honestly, just being yourself is a good tip. I didn't really rehearse or practice what I was gonna say so just be genuine. They didn't ask why I wanted to be PT, just more questions about myself. They do have your file so they may ask you question about your volunteer experience, letter of rec people, extracurriculars etc. That being said it really just depends on the faculty you get! The environment was really welcoming and they really tried hard to not make us feel nervous. Make sure you ask any questions you can to the students because that's how you're going to find out the reality of living in NY and such. Overall it was a great experience, so don't stress about it! :) Goodluck and let me know how it goes!

Congratulations on getting accepted! :snaphappy::)Thanks for the tips, and that's relieving to hear the environment was welcoming and organized. I'll be sure not to over rehearse, but I definitely wanted to be prepared, or semi prepared, haha. Now I'm stoked for the interview and experience! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes, and thank you so much!!:)

I have an interview scheduled for Jan 13th. Anyone else have one that day?

Hello!

I was invited for an interview as well.. so although am I basically in the same position you are.. I did read the interview process is laid back and that they are more so looking at how you are personality wise. Hopefully that helps some. As for getting around NYC I have no idea.. I am coming from a few states above so I hope my GPS works well.

When is your interview date!? Mines Jan 15th. Good Luck!
I'm interviewing on Jan 15th too! Flying in from CA!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

How long did you have to accept or decline your offer after you found out you were accepted?

How long did you have to accept or decline your offer after you found out you were accepted?
I interviewed at Columbia on a Friday, accepted on the following Tuesday and they gave me two weeks to send the $1000 deposit, which I did because Columbia is amazing! Good luck.

I interviewed at Columbia on a Friday, accepted on the following Tuesday and they gave me two weeks to send the $1000 deposit, which I did because Columbia is amazing! Good luck.

What was the attire that individuals wore to the interview? I have an interview next week so I want to make sure I am dressed properly!

What was the attire that individuals wore to the interview? I have an interview next week so I want to make sure I am dressed properly!
Most people wore a suit (men and women)! Maybe two wore professional dresses.

Looks like about 30 based off the email we got yesterday!
What email was sent out recently? I've only received the one inviting me in November. Nothing aside from that..

What email was sent out recently? I've only received the one inviting me in November. Nothing aside from that..
I received an email about food allergies a few days ago, but I still don't know the interview location for this Friday. For those of you who already interviewed, how many professors interview you?

I received an email about food allergies a few days ago, but I still don't know the interview location for this Friday. For those of you who already interviewed, how many professors interview you?

Location is at the Neurological institute I believe. Or atleast that is what's highlighted on the campus map that was sent via email.

only one!

Not too much touring, at least for my interview slot. They took us out in groups and we got to see one student's apartment but had to be walked back for our interview times. The campus itself is pretty spread out so don't wear heels if you're not comfortable walking in them.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been invited to interview at Columbia University in a few weeks. Here's the thing: I don't know why they found my application competitive enough to interview. I'm not a great applicant!

Full disclosure, here are my stats:
Undergrad GPA: 3.20
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.10
Pre-Req GPA: 3.00-3.3
GRE: V 150, Q 150, A 4.0
Observation hours: 400+ within 4 different settings

Relatively speaking, my GPA and GRE scores are not competitive. Why did Columbia select me to interview? Does anyone know how many students they plan to interview and accept for the 2016-2017 application cycle?

So I was rejected after an interview with Columbia last cycle, and accepted this cycle - so I've had a lot of interaction with Dr. Krasinski, Cynthia Worthington, and some of the current students. That being said, here is what I've learned about Columbia (and a lot of programs, for that matter): They aren't necessarily looking for a prototypical, run of the mill applicant. Rather, they are looking for applicants that seem to be a good fit for THEIR program. In some way, you've stood out to them. If I had to take a stab at it, I bet your PTCAS essay and supplemental essays were really really good. Your observation hours are perfect (the reason I was rejected the first go around).

SO... you've made it past one of the hardest obstacles! Forget about why, and just kill that interview!