Columbia 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anything else we need to do to be considered for financial aid besides the FAFSA? I saw something about a supplemental aid application but you need an ID and pin number and when I try using the information from the acceptance letter it doesn't work...hmm...

Just wondering

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do need to do the supplemental app. Try it again in a day or two. Mine didn't work initially but worked after two days.

I just got a notification that I'm a recipient of the Heilbrunn Scholarship. It gave me the $$ amount but not much else does anyone know what exactly it is? I'm so excited and Columbia just jumped to the top of my list! :D

From their website: This is a scholarship made possible by a generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. Heilbrunn. Preference is given to minority students, or individuals who plan to work in city, state, or federal public health agencies, or public health oriented non-profit organizations after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a notification that I'm a recipient of the Heilbrunn Scholarship. It gave me the $$ amount but not much else does anyone know what exactly it is? I'm so excited and Columbia just jumped to the top of my list! :D

Don't know about this one specifically, but from experience in undergrad, these things usually require you to write the donors a letter and go to a dinner, it's a pretty sweet deal!

Is there anything else we need to do to be considered for financial aid besides the FAFSA? I saw something about a supplemental aid application but you need an ID and pin number and when I try using the information from the acceptance letter it doesn't work...hmm...

Just wondering

They also sent an email with a survey to fill out. The student ID number for the app should be in your acceptance letter (it starts with a C).

From their website: This is a scholarship made possible by a generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. Heilbrunn. Preference is given to minority students, or individuals who plan to work in city, state, or federal public health agencies, or public health oriented non-profit organizations after graduation.

Haha, I read the website. It's about as clear as mud. The letter they sent with it told me just about squat, too, except for the specific amount. I was hoping somebody knew a bit more about it :)

Don't know about this one specifically, but from experience in undergrad, these things usually require you to write the donors a letter and go to a dinner, it's a pretty sweet deal!

Interesting! That's good to keep in mind. I'll see if I get more details about it in the weeks to come. Thanks :)!!

Yea its strange...I got in Monday..I was thinking it would work now....

Just wondering

The pin number is your birthdate. Did you remember to put it in MMDDYYYY format?

I tried to activate it and it didn't work, but it ended up just letting me sign in yesterday.

Haha, I read the website. It's about as clear as mud. The letter they sent with it told me just about squat, too, except for the specific amount. I was hoping somebody knew a bit more about it :)

Think you're thinking too much into it. Someone gave the school money to establish a scholarship in their name. They placed certain conditions around who can receive it. You meet that profile and they awarded you the scholarship. What more were you expecting?

Think you're thinking too much into it. Someone gave the school money to establish a scholarship in their name. They placed certain conditions around who can receive it. You meet that profile and they awarded you the scholarship. What more were you expecting?

Except that the letter indicated conditions but was very vague about them. Things I had to do post-graduation. I was just asking if anyone else had heard of it and knew anything about it. That's all =/. Forget I asked.

Except that the letter indicated conditions but was very vague about them. Things I had to do post-graduation. I was just asking if anyone else had heard of it and knew anything about it. That's all =/. Forget I asked.

What did it say you have to do post graduation?

Has anyone not heard back from Columbia yet? I applied for epi as well and haven't received a decision :(. I think this means I was rejected.

Last edited:
What did it say you have to do post graduation?

I'm on my phone and it won't let me open anything from Columbia on it. I think it had a stipulation about working in a field. It was really very vague.

I'm just going to email them directly :). It's nbd.

Has anyone not heard back from Columbia yet? I applied for epi as well and haven't received a decision . I think this means I was rejected.

I know they sent out rejections today. I think they might be sending them (both acceptances and rejections) out in waves so definitely don't give up hope! Good luck :D. *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad :)

Just wondering

How do you even access the supplemental application? I don't even know where to look.

Sorry, if I came off abrasive. It's just most don't have conditions but since they told you there were conditions but not what they are, it makes more sense! Hope they're easy to fulfill!

Does anyone know what Columbias deposit is? I can't find it anywhere!

Hey guys, for the finaid supplement, after I login, I just see a long page with an intro, disclosure, and contact info. I don't see any forms that I can fill out or links that I can click on o_O Any idea on what I should do?

Hey guys, for the finaid supplement, after I login, I just see a long page with an intro, disclosure, and contact info. I don't see any forms that I can fill out or links that I can click on o_O Any idea on what I should do?

There's no link on the right hand side that says "2013/2014"? You should just be able to click on that after you've logged in. It should take you to a short internet-based form that you fill out.

There's no link on the right hand side that says "2013/2014"? You should just be able to click on that after you've logged in. It should take you to a short internet-based form that you fill out.

I see a button with 2013/2014 (blue background, white text) but it's not a link. I tried 3 different browsers too :/

I see a button with 2013/2014 (blue background, white text) but it's not a link. I tried 3 different browsers too :/

hmmm, give them a call on Monday. There should be a link to it if it allowed you to log-in.

Yes for CDE MPH!
Excited....as of now Columbia is my first choice! Always wanted to live in NYC and not going to let the obscene costs scare me away :D

Yes for CDE MPH!
Excited....as of now Columbia is my first choice! Always wanted to live in NYC and not going to let the obscene costs scare me away :D

Good on you!! This is my ideal scenario as well - how are you justifying the $ aspect to yourself?

Good on you!! This is my ideal scenario as well - how are you justifying the $ aspect to yourself?

Yes for CDE MPH!

I went to undergrad in New York. Mailman is a great school. However, the $10-20k difference from Emory or Michigan at 7% accrued compound interest for a job that on average earns $60k? Obscene does not begin to define that. It is atrocious and must be carefully considered. I loved my undergrad years in New York! But I wouldn't live there as a grad student unless there is significant funding other than loans. That said, the curriculum at Mailman looks promising and innovative. I am applying and waiting to hear. The class size is a little too big for my taste. The building in Washington Heights leaves something to be desired, and as with some sentiments here, I agree that some Mailman students have somewhat negative impressions of their experience thus far. (A close friend of mine is doing her fellowship at Mailman, and it is her impression that the public health students are "not happy.") This is not to say that the training is poor. Quite the opposite.

On a completely separate note, does anyone have any idea as to what the dress might be for the admitted students days? Its so much easier for guys--tan pants, button down, and a sweater. Should girls wear a simple dress, or is it casual enough for pants/courdoroys, or a skirt and a blouse? Digging through my closet...

I went to undergrad in New York. Mailman is a great school. However, the $10-20k difference from Emory or Michigan at 7% accrued compound interest for a job that on average earns $60k? Obscene does not begin to define that. It is atrocious and must be carefully considered. I loved my undergrad years in New York! But I wouldn't live there as a grad student unless there is significant funding other than loans. That said, the curriculum at Mailman looks promising and innovative. I am applying and waiting to hear. The class size is a little too big for my taste. The building in Washington Heights leaves something to be desired, and as with some sentiments here, I agree that some Mailman students have somewhat negative impressions of their experience thus far. (A close friend of mine is doing her fellowship at Mailman, and it is her impression that the public health students are "not happy.") This is not to say that the training is poor. Quite the opposite.

Porkbuns, thanks for this. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and I've learned a lot on this forum just from reading your responses :)

I like Columbia and NYC is where my fiancé has the best job prospects, but I just don't think I can do Columbia's tuition right now :-/.... I have a huge amount of undergrad debt - I feel like tacking on another 60,000 is insane for an MPH. Anyone have any opinions?

I have 4 years of public health research experience and I was also accepted to Yale and BU - all Epi (both also very expensive options).

I like Columbia and NYC is where my fiancé has the best job prospects, but I just don't think I can do Columbia's tuition right now :-/.... I have a huge amount of undergrad debt - I feel like tacking on another 60,000 is insane for an MPH. Anyone have any opinions?

I have 4 years of public health research experience and I was also accepted to Yale and BU - all Epi (both also very expensive options).

Do you (or anyone else) have a ballpark figure on how much Columbia costs compared to Yale?

Do you (or anyone else) have a ballpark figure on how much Columbia costs compared to Yale?

Tution only - they are very similar in cost (I believe close to 66,000 for the entire degree). My fiancé would be supporting me while in school so I haven't calculated the difference in schools based on the "school budget" which includes living costs.

I'm having the same issue. :/

I called the finaid office and they said the institutional and supplemental application is not available. They'll notify us through email when it's accessible.

I called the finaid office and they said the institutional and supplemental application is not available. They'll notify us through email when it's accessible.

That's really weird... I definitely filled out an institutional and supplemental application. That's curious that it's not available now.

That's really weird... I definitely filled out an institutional and supplemental application. That's curious that it's not available now.

I did as well, but when I logged in again its gone!

I did as well, but when I logged in again its gone!

What did it look like? Fwiw, I already got a merit award from them and the only thing I filled out was the survey monkey thing they sent us before admissions and the very small (3 or 4 questions) supplement app on the site when I first log in. Is that what you guys filled out? Didn't submit my parents' info on the FAFSA either.

Or is it possible you filled out one from last year :confused:?

The Columbia FA site leaves quite a bit to be desired lol.

Last edited:
What did it look like? Fwiw, I already got a merit award from them and the only thing I filled out was the survey monkey thing they sent us before admissions and the very small (3 or 4 questions) supplement app on the site when I first log in. Is that what you guys filled out? Didn't submit my parents' info on the FAFSA either.

Or is it possible you filled out one from last year :confused:?

The Columbia FA site leaves quite a bit to be desired lol.

Yea the one we all apparently filled out was from last year. So once they send the link, we just have to do it again.

The Columbia FA site leaves quite a bit to be desired lol.[/QUOTE]

Ha.I'm glad i'm not the only one. It would be nice if this was a problem with only their FA site. Anything they do online leaves more than a bit to be desired. OrgSync is quite possibly the most painful user interface i've dealt with in over a decade. And the Mailman website isn't all that great either.

Ha.I'm glad i'm not the only one. It would be nice if this was a problem with only their FA site. Anything they do online leaves more than a bit to be desired. OrgSync is quite possibly the most painful user interface i've dealt with in over a decade. And the Mailman website isn't all that great either.

Haha so much truth in this. Hopefully everything gets sorted out soon.

I just got the email about the schedule of events for admitted students' day. It wasn't as long as I expected...

I just got the email about the schedule of events for admitted students' day. It wasn't as long as I expected...
I thought it was fairly thorough and included all the events I would want. What else were you expecting?

I thought it was fairly thorough and included all the events I would want. What else were you expecting?

Nothing really, I was just comparing it to Emory's. Maybe a campus tour or a presentation on careers would have been interesting.
Also, it could be a far way to travel for some students for only half a day.

Is anyone else attending the admitted students day on April 12?

Is anyone else attending the admitted students day on April 12?

If you or anyone else goes, keep us posted? :D I have been to Mailman for something else, so I have no immediate plans to visit (if I am admitted). But it would be nice to hear about others' impressions.

Has anyone from the one-year accelerated MPH program heard back yet?

I think classes start around September 4, I saw last year's academic calendar. Anyone know when it would be best to move in. I would find an apartment ahead of time (online I guess) since I live out of state. I just do not want to move in too early to avoid paying that hella expensive rent lol

Any updates from those who attend the admitted student's day would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to visit but being on the other side of the world makes that a bit difficult :) So most likely I'll be apartment hunting online and moving up there blind in mid-august. I'm a bit terrified of living in New York, or really anywhere that I haven't been able to visit, but I feel really sure about Columbia's program being the best fit for my needs--and as someone who wants to work in non-profit the opportunities in New York are hard to beat.

So under the documents tab (was that there before?) does anyone else have "Not received" by their FAFSA? I submitted my FAFSA in January and I just made sure that I sent it to Columbia. I did.

So under the documents tab (was that there before?) does anyone else have "Not received" by their FAFSA? I submitted my FAFSA in January and I just made sure that I sent it to Columbia. I did.

It was there before but you couldn't click on it. At least I couldn't. I'm showing the same thing for my FAFSA so maybe they just haven't updated it?