Columbia 2013?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Columbia has specific dates they send out emails or is it just rolling admission? Waiting to hear about Epi!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Columbia has specific dates they send out emails or is it just rolling admission? Waiting to hear about Epi!!

I am anxiously awaiting Epi decisions as well :xf:

For anyone who was or is a student, with new curriculum, do you actually stay inside Mailman starting early in the morning and until 5-6pm? That is what the website makes the new curriculum sound like, and that sounds kind of depressing, considering that the building itself is out of date and claustrophobically designed:

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/academics/degree-offerings/MPH/program-schedule

Again, no personal vendetta here, just trying to elicit discussion on the matter!

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who was or is a student, with new curriculum, do you actually stay inside Mailman starting early in the morning and until 5-6pm? That is what the website makes the new curriculum sound like, and that sounds kind of depressing, considering that the building itself is out of date and claustrophobically designed:

Again, no personal vendetta here, just trying to elicit discussion on the matter!

I think the answer is, yes, most days you are pretty much there all day. Check this link:

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/aca...ime-mph/core/program-structure-and-experience

Theres also another cohort that starts later and ends later:

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/cohort_schedule.pdf

Just received an email with my acceptance to the health care management program! Yay!

I think the answer is, yes, most days you are pretty much there all day. Check this link:

http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/aca...ime-mph/core/program-structure-and-experience

Hm, this is interesting. I didn't really look into the daily schedule when I applied. Ideally I would like to attend part-time and work full-time. Doesn't look like that would be possible...?

Umm, can I please high five you through the internet for finding that link?

That's way more accurate than the other stuff. I don't think I'd mind that schedule, as long as I had the chance to have most of my weekends and 4pm-on during weekdays off.

I was accepted to Columbia (department of Sociomedical Sciences) on 2/22!!

I am very excited about the opportunities that this school has to offer with the quality of the education and it's reputation. I would think the job market for post-graduation would be excellent given it is Columbia, and the location of NYC. I did look at the class schedules- looks rather rigorous, but it might be worth it. I'm thinking the same with the cost- I expect it will be pricey with tuition and living costs, but, again, it might be worth it

it makes me happy to see so many other people happy :)

I actually meant to post this in THIS thread, not in the main thread but:

Another Epi acceptance!

Unfortunately, I'll probably be going elsewhere but it's happy news nonetheless. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got saw that I got in! HPM with a health policy analysis certificate.

What's strange is that I didn't see the email for a few hours because it was sent into my spam folder... Weird

Congrats everyone, I'm in for Epi also! Certificate in Applied Biostat

Just curious, my admission email says "MSPH" in the subject, but I applied for the MPH, and I don't think they even offer an MSPH. Did you guys get this too?

I was also accepted for the certificate in Sexuality, Sexual & Reproductive Health. Anyone else in this certificate?

I was accepted today with a certificate in Public Health Research Methods around 3 pm, but I didn't know until I looked in my spam folder. All better now!

I got accepted into epi today too!!!!! :D WOO
It was also in my spam folder.

I feel confident I will be attending (unless Emory makes a strong financial case otherwise)
so I am seeking a chill, female roommate to live on (or possibly off) campus with. (I am also female.)

Hi everyone!
For those of you who just got accepted into Epi, I'd like to know when you applied to Columbia.

Thank you!!

Hi everyone!
For those of you who just got accepted into Epi, I'd like to know when you applied to Columbia.

Thank you!!

11/27. It was sent out sometime mid-December from SOPHAS.

In at Colombia's MPH Epi program!! Anyone know anything about housing there? ...It's gonna be supper expensive...o welll

In at Colombia's MPH Epi program!! Anyone know anything about housing there? ...It's gonna be supper expensive...o welll

I've lived in and around the city for a while now, happy to offer up housing advice.

Anyone know if it is worth it taking out some loans ? Is the ivy rep really that big of a deal in the long run if you add on debt from loans? I don't what to do ahhh but i love their curriculum.

Does anyone know if they offer scholarships with letters or at some point in the future?

Not that I'm expecting to get one, but I can dream if they come out at a different time lol.

Just wrote this up for a PM and thought it would be helpful for everyone:

If you look hard you can find good places that aren't crazy expensive. The public health school is located on the medical campus, which is in a neighborhood called Washington Heights. Here is a map of Manhattan's neighborhoods:

http://nycinsiderguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/manhattan-neighborhood-map.jpg

As you can see, Washington Heights is almost all the way at the top. Though this used to be one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in all of New York City, it is actually really nice now! Lot's of families have moved North since rents are ridiculous further south.

The most convenient places to live are Washington Heights, Hudson Heights, Fort George, and Inwood (all trying to stay on the West side). These neighborhoods are especially nice because they are right near Fort Tryon Park, which is a beautiful park that is a nice retreat from the city. Even Harlem can be really nice (Bill Clinton's offices are there!). Rents in these neighborhoods are also the most reasonable in all of Manhattan, and if you live near a subway line it is super easy to get downtown.

You can also look at living in outer boroughs, or even in Westchester (a county North of NYC). The closest outer borough to live in is the Bronx. It has a bad rap because of the South Bronx area, but there are some very nice neighborhoods. For instance, Riverdale is towards the very top of the Bronx, and is about 30 minutes by train to get to the medical campus. Queens is another great option, and a much more lively place to live than the Bronx. I know a lot of people who live in Astoria (a neighborhood in Queens, has the best Greek food you will find anywhere). Astoria is 1 subway stop from Manhattan, and would only require 1 transfer to get to Columbia. Lot's of people mention Brooklyn, but that commute is a nightmare to the medical center, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you get a great deal.

Its also worth checking out neighborhoods on the West Side if you can find a deal(Upper West Side, Morningside Heights, Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea), as all of the neighborhoods are on the same subway line and lead straight to Columbia. That being said, rents in these neighborhoods will on average be a lot more. Manhattan is notorious for being difficult to traverse East-West (there are only 2 or 3 places where the subway crosses, otherwise you have to take a bus), so I wouldn't recommend the East Side, unless you are near a cross-town subway line.

All of the places I've mentioned are very safe. New York is a big city, so the most important aspect of safety is just being aware of whats going on around you.

The absolute best place to look for apartments is craigslist. You can also check out the new york times website, and Columbia has an off-campus housing posting service.

Personally, I plan on searching in the Washington Heights area, and also in Southern Westchester because of my wife's work.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions about any particular locations!

Thank you!! that's great help!! Also I keep seeing people write on different forums that tuition is 60K and 50K and other numbers...Is the tuition for the regular MPH not around $34000 per year as the site states? I keep seeing different numbers.

Thank you!! that's great help!! Also I keep seeing people write on different forums that tuition is 60K and 50K and other numbers...Is the tuition for the regular MPH not around $34000 per year as the site states? I keep seeing different numbers.

When people throw out 50-60K they tend to mean cost of attendance (tuition, housing, meals, other incidentals).

Now that epi decisions have been released, should I be worried if I haven't heard one way or another? Anyone know whether the epi department sends out waves of decisions or just one wave and that's that? I submitted my app to SOPHAS on 12/15/2012 and it was verified and sent out on 1/29/2013

Anyone going to the March 15th Admit Students' Day?

I have a Berkeley fellowship...I doubt it is worth choosing Columbia over that. I do not think Columbia would offer me a better financial package....hmmm we shall see..Decisions decisions

Hey- to those acceptedin the Columbia healthcare managment program first off congrats!!! Also if you dont mind sharing, what were your stats?

I graduated May 2012 from NYU with a 3.4 GPA major in economics and completed the pre-medical track. I'm applyin with my MCAT score of 29. I'm currently working for a Telemedicine research program that is public health oriented at a hospital. I would LOVE to get in! Getting anxious as I wait to hear back. Wanted to know what my chances were realisiticly...I've also applied to Yale and GW.

I'm going to the accepted students' day! :)

Also, I submitted to SOPHAS on 12/26 and it was sent on 1/24

Last edited:
Got a Merit Scholarship worth $11,000/year :)

Congrats! How'd you find out? Email?

Yup, same way they sent us the admission notification - an email with a PDF attachment.
It seems to be a general school-wide award and not a department-specific one.

Has anyone chosen the Global Health certificate? The fee is over $17k - but is this a one-time fee or is it per year?

Yup, same way they sent us the admission notification - an email with a PDF attachment.

Has anyone chosen the Global Health certificate? The fee is over $17k - but is this a one-time fee or is it per year?

The 17k is for the 2nd year because you will be off to do your practicum abroad. The first year tuition will be around 50k.

From the website, it says the total cost is the same regardless if the program. Instead of 33.5k and 33.5k, it is 50k and 17k. I think they just try to distribute it based on how many credits you are taking.

So I am guessing everyone is planning on taking out loans? AHhhh I don't know if I should...it scares me the amount that I would need. But it may be worth it........maybe

So I am guessing everyone is planning on taking out loans? AHhhh I don't know if I should...it scares me the amount that I would need. But it may be worth it........maybe
I am curious as to how people are going to pay for this as well. I have a substantial amount (well, substantial to me) of loans accrued from undergrad already. Have Epi students heard of financial assistance yet?

I was in the morning cohort, started at 8:30am and was done most days by 2:30pm. But be prepared to be on campus much later than that on some days.

Remember though we were the guinea pigs and I am sure next year there will be major improvements that will cause us second years to silently curse under our breaths about how lucky you all are. Heh.

If you love structure, then you'll love that schedule. The downside is that your entire life is schoolwork but it's graduate school, if you put in the work, you will be rewarded.

I just went through my practicum interviews, every interviewer I met with praised Columbia and how much they love Mailman students. I was offered a practicum during the interview with one place, the Columbia name does open doors. And to be honest, that's why I invested so much money into this MPH, for the connections/networks.

I just got a notification that I'm a recipient of the Heilbrunn Scholarship. It gave me the $$ amount but not much else does anyone know what exactly it is? I'm so excited and Columbia just jumped to the top of my list! :D