Columbia 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get their financial aid yet? I am thinking of going.
Yes, i did receive my financial aid award. At the 'Admitted students' day,' financial aid counselors said that people whose financial aid applications were submitted and complete by the deadline (FAFSA & Columbia's form) have all been packaged. There's no official notification per se (I for one did not receive one). Prospective students are to check their financial aid accounts to learn about their awards. The appropriate link is:

https://studentviewer.finaid.columbia.edu/

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

NO I was accepted to the Health Policy and Mgt Track which is supposed to be a 1yr program. H/e I talked with someone there about switching to the Gen Public Health. She said you're not confined to one discipline. You can cross the tracks and take any class you want. You design your curriculum as long as you take the 5 core classes. sounds like a sweet deal if you have multidisciplinary interests.

So far by phone, the faculty and staff have been nice and helpful, suggesting scholarships I should apply for. H/e I still havent received my financial aid packet.

In addition to Concern's questions, my questions was about the housing? I am single and want a single room with my own kitchen and bathroom. But from the website, it seemed hard to come by. Did the students suggests which dorms were the nicest? easiest to get into? Close, inexpensive alternative housing?
Thanks
I had this same issue as you going to this event. Housing seems to be a hassle. I asked currents/past students who were on the panel about this. In total, I directly interacted with three and none of them had or was living on-campus. They could not, as a result, vouch for the niceties/affordability of on-campus housing. All these students said was that there was nothing they could have gotten from living on-campus that they did not get off-campus. As for aprtmts/studios close to the Mailman School, well it all depends on your budget and how much time you have.

Then director of the housing office gave a talk. To be honest with you, none of the things she said assuaged my worries. Basically, the way things work, international students have priority when it comes to housing, be it on- or off-campus. People from out west of the U.S (Cali, TX, OR, etc...) are then next in line. Those from the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) and other New England states are at the bottom of the list. Not surprisingly, she said that her office assists incoming students regardless of whether or not they have been offered housing. Specifically, she and her staff can tell you which neighborhoods to consider/avoid living in.

Overall, I got the impression that those of us who fall into the last category will be having a tough time finding apartments. But I think that if you have friends/family in NYC (who might help you look for a place to live), time and a bit of $$$, then things might be easier for you. On the other hand, if you are like me and don't have any of these, then looking for housing might prove to be something of hassle. Anyways, we were told that more info could be found here:

http://www.cumc-housing.columbia.edu/announcements.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your post, kam.
I just wanted to confirm from anyone who knows, whether they've started accepting housing applications from MPH students. My impression is that they haven't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your post, kam.
I just wanted to confirm from anyone who knows, whether they've started accepting housing applications from MPH students. My impression is that they haven't.
You are right that they haven't yet. Everything starts on April 15th.

I had this same issue as you going to this event. Housing seems to be a hassle. I asked currents/past students who were on the panel about this. In total, I directly interacted with three and none of them had or was living on-campus. They could not, as a result, vouch for the niceties/affordability of on-campus housing. All these students said was that there was nothing they could have gotten from living on-campus that they did not get off-campus. As for aprtmts/studios close to the Mailman School, well it all depends on your budget and how much time you have.

Then director of the housing office gave a talk. To be honest with you, none of the things she said assuaged my worries. Basically, the way things work, international students have priority when it comes to housing, be it on- or off-campus. People from out west of the U.S (Cali, TX, OR, etc...) are then next in line. Those from the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) and other New England states are at the bottom of the list. Not surprisingly, she said that her office assists incoming students regardless of whether or not they have been offered housing. Specifically, she and her staff can tell you which neighborhoods to consider/avoid living in.

Overall, I got the impression that those of us who fall into the last category will be having a tough time finding apartments. But I think that if you have friends/family in NYC (who might help you look for a place to live), time and a bit of $$$, then things might be easier for you. On the other hand, if you are like me and don't have any of these, then looking for housing might prove to be something of hassle. Anyways, we were told that more info could be found here:

http://www.cumc-housing.columbia.edu/announcements.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks Kam77!!
That was helpful!

all scholarship decisions are out (just in case any of you were unsure). I haven't heard of anyone so far who's got it. looks like they've shown economy...ok i'm NOT going to get bitter...not even over the fin. aid department's pithy replies...economy again, with words. where does this great sense of economy go when it comes to tuition fees?

anyway. i want to believe this is going to be a great place and so yeah, i'm past being bitter.
congratulations to all (however few) scholarship recepients. :thumbup:

I am deciding between Yale and Columbia for and MPH and while I was leaning towards Columbia, I am beginning to rethink my decision after talking to a recent graduate. She told me that one of the biggest weaknesses of Columbia is it's inability to support students with job placement and connect them with the resources they need to succeed post graduation. I thought this was a strength of Columbia, so I was very disappointed to hear that. I'm also disappointed that Columbia's Admitted Student's day was operated on a first come, first serve basis and is now being waitlisted. If Columbia doesn't have the resources to allow admitted students into their admitted students day, what do they have the resources for?

I am deciding between Yale and Columbia for and MPH and while I was leaning towards Columbia, I am beginning to rethink my decision after talking to a recent graduate. She told me that one of the biggest weaknesses of Columbia is it's inability to support students with job placement and connect them with the resources they need to succeed post graduation. I thought this was a strength of Columbia, so I was very disappointed to hear that. I'm also disappointed that Columbia's Admitted Student's day was operated on a first come, first serve basis and is now being waitlisted. If Columbia doesn't have the resources to allow admitted students into their admitted students day, what do they have the resources for?

You are making me depressed. I got admitted to Yale as well but their session starts this July, which would be a tad early for me (visa and other issues). Columbia is ranked at no.6 and Yale way below. Perhaps this is not to be taken too seriously.

You are making me depressed. I got admitted to Yale as well but their session starts this July, which would be a tad early for me (visa and other issues). Columbia is ranked at no.6 and Yale way below. Perhaps this is not to be taken too seriously.
Those "rankings" shouldn't be taken too seriously. First off it was out in 2007, 3 years ago. A lot changes in 3 years not to mention that Stories showed a great correlation b/w size of class/school and those rankings. Not to say it's completely worthless, however, as applicants, we should take the time to think about what we want out of our degree, visit schools, and decide best fit.

Also, the schools know some of these rankings are bunk but they know it's hard to shake the impression of them so they're willing to boast about it (UNC) as much as they can. Sigh...

That said, don't misunderstand what I'm saying, Columbia and Yale are both good schools, but if jolie85 has some concern, they should definitely talk to staff, students, and try to get more of a feel before making their decision. This goes for all schools C:

Good luck you guys!!

Last edited:
all scholarship decisions are out (just in case any of you were unsure). I haven't heard of anyone so far who's got it. looks like they've shown economy...ok i'm NOT going to get bitter...not even over the fin. aid department's pithy replies...economy again, with words. where does this great sense of economy go when it comes to tuition fees?

anyway. i want to believe this is going to be a great place and so yeah, i'm past being bitter.
congratulations to all (however few) scholarship recepients. :thumbup:
well, i don't want to brag or anything, but i did get a departmental award (Health Policy & Management Department). If it is any consolation, said award wasn't that substantial ---whatever that means. PM me if you need more details.

Also, at the Admitted Students day, the Director of Admissions and Financial Aid said Columbia might still get some additional funding from the federal government. If that were to happen, some students could see their financial aid awards revised. He and his staff will keep an eye out for more governmental funding 'till the month of June at the latest. Of course, you can reach out to the financial aid office if you would like to confirm any of this.

Best of luck y'all!

First-time poster...long time lurker.

I was at the visit day last Friday (3/26), and walked away surprised and relieved at the nature of how the school is set up. Primarily, it seems that each department really functions as its own entity under the umbrella of the Mailman title. Of course, there are a set of core classes that everyone must take, but it didn't appear to be rife with any frivolous classes (meaning, every MPH student should be taking them regardless). Being an EHS candidate, I can't speak for other departments, but it also appeared that curricula are extremely flexible (ie, I'm interested in the biomarkers that may indicate the effects of climate change in vulnerable populations, whereas another student in my track my be focused on TB in urban areas). That said, curricula appeared to be set up in a way that appeals to the interests of each student (again, this is EHS specific). Furthermore, I wouldn't jump to general conclusions about post-graduation job connection, I think that depends upon department and focus. I can't think of any school that just hands a job to you, it requires some proactivity and networking skills.

I was in NYC from Thursday until Sunday, and spent my off days neighborhood/apartment searching. Of course, apartments are not available yet, but I wanted to get a general sense of apartment sizes, etc. in a given area of the city. I was pleased to talk to two incoming students at the visit day who are current students at Columbia's school of medicine, and both have lived in Gramercy, and stated that it wasn't problematic at all. This definitely mitigated some of my worry, as I assume the med students have a more class-heavy curriculum. In the end, I realized that living near the A train equals convenience to live anywhere in Manhattan (as long as you're near the A train). Also, friends who've been students at Columbia/Juilliard/NYU (and now live in the UWS, Hell's Kitchen, and the East Village, respectively) have told me that Craigslist is a reliable resource for apartment shopping, and is the place you'll like find the cheapest digs. The search engine allows you to specify neighborhoods of choice, and the results run the whole gamut of budgets. If you decide upon Columbia, I'd say head to NYC a week before wanting to move, and make appointments to see available apartments. Ultimately, it alleviates the angst of waiting for Columbia's housing, and it also provides your own space.

Anyway, that's my plan. I've been deciding between Michigan, Yale, and Columbia, and finally decided upon Columbia for the intimacy of my department. Sure, it's hella expensive...but I plan on applying for as many grants and doing as many TA-ships as is possible. NYC is doable, and "relatively" inexpensive apartments can be found. Sure, Ann Arbor would be cheaper...but, as I see it, it isn't Columbia.

I am not able to attend either accepted student's day. Did anyone who was accepted into the SMS department attend, and if so, what were your thoughts? I'm having a really hard time deciding between yale and columbia, especially because of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone! I absolutely love Columbia but the huge price tag is really affecting my decision. Does anyone know of any external fellowships that can fund MPH students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey UIUC! I don't know anything about fellowships, and I'm also feeling frustrated with Columbia's price tag. But I just wanted to give a shout out, because UIUC is my alma mater! :)

Thanks kam, climadoc and all you folks for the helpful messages.

did anyone get a phone call from Anne Paxton, chair of epi i believe?

i was really surprised...she left a voicemail asking if i had any questions and that she can answer them.

I got a call from an associate professor, I dont have voicemail and I was in class so he emailed me shortly after asking if there was a better time to call and if I had any questions!

did anyone get a phone call from Anne Paxton, chair of epi i believe?

i was really surprised...she left a voicemail asking if i had any questions and that she can answer them.

I am so far waitlisted for the next Admitted student's day on April 6th. I was thinking about showing anyways just to hear the information and to see the school/housing and to schedule an appt with people in my department. Will there be somewhere for me to stand discretely in the back ? Does it take place in an auditorium?

Why is columbia taking so long to get back to me with a decision!!!

You should definitely ask them. By April 15 they expect admitted students to confirm their decision.

So, I guess for students on the waitlist, we have to wait till after this date? I was wondering how to ask them when I will find out w/o being pushy since I do have to respond to other schools...Ideas?

Hi,
Has anyone had interaction with the Financial Aid department (other than accepting their offer)? This is my first experience with loans etc. and I'm feeling pretty lost on how to navigate this issue. Was wondering if there was anyone in particular at the school who was helpful.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm deciding between Michigan, Columbia, and UIC at the moment. I'm just wondering, for those of you who are set on Columbia, what are a few of the reasons for your decision?

I'm sort of turned off by the inflexibility of Columbia's MPH. 45 credit hours and not much room for elective coursework. This differs from Michigan, where students choose the vast majority of their coursework.

Does anyone else feel similarly about this set-up? I'd love to hear about everyone else's deciding factors.

I did not apply for financial aid but recieved an email this morning about accessing the website to either complete my application or view my package. I can't however access it since I was never assigned a Columbia ID (I would assume you don't get one until you decide to attend). Does anyone know anything about this?

I did not apply for financial aid but recieved an email this morning about accessing the website to either complete my application or view my package. I can't however access it since I was never assigned a Columbia ID (I would assume you don't get one until you decide to attend). Does anyone know anything about this?

I received mine in an email because I had indicated on my application that I was applying for aid. Call the financial aid office, and they will give you your number or email it to you. This is not an official student ID number.

Is anyone going to ask for an extension of the April 15th deadline? If so, do you know when we need to ask?

Is anyone going to ask for an extension of the April 15th deadline? If so, do you know when we need to ask?

I need an extension also - I have been wanting to attend Columbia, but just got another acceptance (Hopkins) and need more time to make my decision, given that April 15 is next Thursday.

how do you need to ask for an extension, I need one for even one week.

how do you need to ask for an extension, I need one for even one week.

I contacted the director of the track I was admitted to, and she told me to contact admissions. I haven't gotten a response yet, but the other schools I'm considering were flexible when I emailed (I asked for a 5-day extension).

Hi
I know this is very late but I am still making my decision. Did anyone feel excited about Columbia after the open houses? I was unable to attend either open house, so I would love some feedback. It doesn't seem like people are excited for Columbia, which makes me a bit nervous. Any comments?

sorry, i've been lazy about posting my admitted students day experience. i went to the april 9th visit day and sent my deposit the next day.

i'm in sociomedical sciences with a concentration in global health. my interests lie in health disparities + determinants of health + the local-->global health impact of prison health care post-release. columbia's center for the study of social inequalities was a major draw for me. anyway, particularly after breaking into our depts and concentrations within those, i was won over. i can only speak for SMS and only for GH, but i was struck by the motivation and accomplishment of the other students. i wanted to pick the brains of my peers as much as i did the GH prof (Dr. Miguel Muñoz-Laboy--so nice). GH is also much smaller and more intimate it seems (health promotion within SMS was HUGE, for example) so take my words with a grain of salt.

for a better idea of the other tempting offers of admission, i was torn between LSHTM, yale, and columbia. in the end, SMS at columbia fit my background (cultural/medical anthro undergrad) and research interests. i also like that the practicum for GH is a mandatory 6 months. lastly, i went to a large public university so i'm not worried about finding a niche or supportive faculty in the relatively large mailman school; it's usually just a matter of being affable and proactive. so, that's my spiel.

thanks for your reply! that was very helpful, although the health promotion track comment worries me. did current health promotion students seem happy? can anyone comment on health promotion because that is actually the track i have been accepted into. i am going back and forth between that and yale but have heard that the behavioral sciences dept is somewhat an afterthought at yale where at mailman health, sms is a great department. can anyone comment on this? any current health promotion students available?

Last edited:
In regards to the extension...they said to email or call them on Thursday, the actual deadline....I thought that was very peculiar? Is that what you all heard as well?

dancingdoctor - I didn't hear anything like that. I emailed several days ago and received a reply granting a 5-day extension this morning.

Oh, sounds even better! Who did you contact? I was told that information by Betsy.

Anybody knows if the Columbia Dept SMS- Aging Track is good?
Deciding between that and UW- Social Behavioural Science! Its urgent, the dateline is today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How big are the respective depts??

Hi Premad,
Would really appreciate it if you could give me an insight into Columbia SMS Aging Track.. deciding between that and UW-Social Behavioural Science.
Decision due today!!
Is Columbia really big with little interaction with the teachers?
I has a chance to visit U Washington and it seems more close knit. But I love the prestige and the location of Columbia!
Thanks!!!

I think the aging track has serious potential at Columia. I was accepted and in turn accepted that offer yesterday and will be there in the Fall. I was somewhat nervous after the open house, but decided that with Columbia's resources and their apparent interest in making the aging program something fantastic it's ultimately going to be a superb place to excel in that field. Good luck on your desicion

I think the aging track has serious potential at Columia. I was accepted and in turn accepted that offer yesterday and will be there in the Fall. I was somewhat nervous after the open house, but decided that with Columbia's resources and their apparent interest in making the aging program something fantastic it's ultimately going to be a superb place to excel in that field. Good luck on your desicion

Hi thanks for that! I didnt attend the visit day.. Any idea how large the track is? One of my greatest worries is the large student body. Its easy to get lost in a crowd as I probably will be. Also, what do you feel about the faculty? Distant? Friendly?
What made you nervous after the open house?

Hi thanks for that! I didnt attend the visit day.. Any idea how large the track is? One of my greatest worries is the large student body. Its easy to get lost in a crowd as I probably will be. Also, what do you feel about the faculty? Distant? Friendly?
What made you nervous after the open house?

Off topic, but has any one received work study from Columbia at all?

Hey, I'm headed to Columbia for Epi, and I'm probably going to live off campus. I'm looking for a roommate to share an apartment with- are there any other students in a similar situation?

Does anyone know when the campus housing decisions will be announced? Also, does anyone know when in September the session begins (small point but significant for international students like me)?

September 7 is the first day of instruction.

Does anyone know when the campus housing decisions will be announced? Also, does anyone know when in September the session begins (small point but significant for international students like me)?

I will be attending Columbia. If you look at their academic calendar, you will see it says Sep 7. Looks like its a semester school. Where are you staying?

Thanks. Where did you hear? Nothing official conveyed so far.
Were you finally able to decide between U Mich and Columbia?:)

Hi Premad,
Would really appreciate it if you could give me an insight into Columbia SMS Aging Track.. deciding between that and UW-Social Behavioural Science.
Decision due today!!
Is Columbia really big with little interaction with the teachers?
I has a chance to visit U Washington and it seems more close knit. But I love the prestige and the location of Columbia!
Thanks!!!

Hope you were able to make a decision that you're happy with! Gotta PM (private message) if you have questions, though, as I'm not really trolling these forums for my own health. :laugh: But, Aging Track is super small, which is great. But, it's had major problems over the past few years. Like, woah. However, I wouldn't worry about it because SMS is a great department, and the dean of the freaking school is an expert in aging, so I would feel very comfortable taking any major issues straight to her.

Hi, can someone point out some good neighborhoods to check out for housing purposes? Can someone also comment on the grad housing near the medical center. I plan on making some trips up to NY during the summer to check out places, but I'm not at all familiar with the city.
Also...I'm sure living further south, closer to Columbia's main campus is more expensive, but any thoughts about those neighborhoods as well?

THANKS in advance! I really do appreciate all the help I've gotten off this forum!

Have any of you received orientation related emails from Columbia? They said they'd send email info, etc. in the first week of June, but I haven't gotten anything yet. In any case, I remembered from last year that there was a medical history and physical form that is due by July 15th. I know it can sometimes take a while to get appointments for physicals, so in case anyone wants to get started on it early,the link for the current form is:

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/student/health/forms.html