This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conscious_Tea6344

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a mild form of deutan(red/green) color blindness. I was wondering if any of you know if oral surgery residencies test for color vision? oral surgery is very competitive, and I don't want to work so hard and spend so much time just to get disqualified because of something I can't control, and doesn't affect me much. Is it possible to pursue Oral Surgery if I am colorblind? I am very ignorant on how the process works for residency so any help is really appreciated!

Edit: I want to clarify. I am more than happy to stay a general dentist. I love working with my hands a lot which is why It was either being a mechanic or dentistry :lol: I absolutely love the field, and if I can't make it to oral surgery or any other speciality for whatever reason, I am extremely happy to be a GP. I wanted to be in the profession since I was a kid, and when I got the acceptance in december I was over the moon. Being a GP is an honor and a life-long dream for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have not started dental school yet. I will be starting next fall.
They aren't going to test you for color blindness. I dont have color blindness, but from my experience taking teeth out, I can't imagine it would be a deal breaker. A couple days of taking teeth out as a D3 and you'll know if you can do it or not

Reactions: 1 users
They aren't going to test you for color blindness. I dont have color blindness, but from my experience taking teeth out, I can't imagine it would be a deal breaker. A couple days of taking teeth out as a D3 and you'll know if you can do it or not
Trust me if I felt that I was not going to do it and do it well, I would've focused my mind on another speciality as I wouldn't want to waste my time studying for the cbse, trying on being the best in my class, doing externships and research etc.. I ask this question because I heard that ophthalmology residencies screen their applicants for color vision and depth perception, and I was wondering if oral surgery residency is the same.

Trust me if I felt that I was not going to do it and do it well, I would've focused my mind on another speciality as I wouldn't want to waste my time studying for the cbse, trying on being the best in my class, doing externships and research etc.. I ask this question because I heard that ophthalmology residencies screen their applicants for color vision and depth perception, and I was wondering if oral surgery residency is the same.
Well if you're thinking any specialty, than you should be busting you butt regardless. But no, OS programs don't test color vision

Reactions: 1 user
Thats very interesting, I didn't know they did that in optho.

But no, they do not do that in any dental residency as far as I know.

I know on SDN everyone is the top of their class and going into OMFS, but go into dental school with an open mind and possibility of being a general dentist. Work hard and you can make it happen, but again make sure you are a good and competent GP first.

Well if you're thinking any specialty, than you should be busting you butt regardless. But no, OS programs don't test color vision
you are absolutely right! It will be a grind for any specialty, and much will overlap. The hurdle is the CBSE. currently taking pharmacology, microbiology, pathology, and gross anatomy in my last semester of undergrad and....its alot and I haven't even scratched the surface. it opened my eyes for sure. Just wanted to make sure I can go through with it and not absolutely study my butt off for an exam that no other specialty looks at and after all of that get told "nope sorry you are qualified but not qualified" lol. Thank you for your help! I am forever grateful kind stranger :)

Thats very interesting, I didn't know they did that in optho.

But no, they do not do that in any dental residency as far as I know.

I know on SDN everyone is the top of their class and going into OMFS, but go into dental school with an open mind and possibility of being a general dentist. Work hard and you can make it happen, but again make sure you are a good and competent GP first.
I absolutely will. I worked as a dental assistant, and as a OMFS assistant and I can just tell that I will never be bored from OS, but maybe doing the procedures changes my life and I go a different direction. I will keep an open mind. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I will make sure to be the best GP I can be.

You should ask dental schools and residencies before going through with it. I can't imagine doing quality dentistry without color vision

My roommate in DS had the same color blind issue as the OP and he did just fine.

Does this mean the blood will appear green lol

You should ask dental schools and residencies before going through with it. I can't imagine doing quality dentistry without color vision
Maybe for esthetic cases? You can always have your assistant do shade matching though.

In any public health GP setting I don't think it would matter at all. For an OMFS, maybe for seeing stuff like biopsy borders if they really can't distinguish red borders? OP mentioned a mild variant. I don't think it would make any difference personally

Does this mean the blood will appear green lol
I'll try to describe what I see lol. The only difference I have seen (I tried on some corrective lenses to see what you all see) is that red is a bit more dull for me. Blood still appears red, and arterial blood still appears lighter than venous blood for example, but they are all a shade darker. So in the practical sense, I can see stop lights, stop signs etc.. just like you all do, just not as vibrant. That is my experience anyways. The only colors I have seen differently was red and purple. They were just more dull but I can still tell it was red or purple. Everything else was the same. When I worked as a dental assistant, I was able to do shade guiding under my GP supervision and I was able to do so correctly. So far in my life, no practical application was hindered by it, and I didn't know until 6 months ago in my physiology course on accident when we were shown an ishihara slide and I couldn't see the number.

Maybe for esthetic cases? You can always have your assistant do shade matching though.

In any public health GP setting I don't think it would matter at all. For an OMFS, maybe for seeing stuff like biopsy borders if they really can't distinguish red borders? OP mentioned a mild variant. I don't think it would make any difference personally
I have done shade guiding before, and I did so correctly. Even then, the market does have spectrophotometers that tell you the shade based off of the absorbance of the light reflected off of the tooth, or I can ask someone to confirm like you said. In the practical world, I never had issues and I never knew I had a deficiency until 6 months ago by accident in my physiology course when I failed a color vision test.

I have done shade guiding before, and I did so correctly. Even then, the market does have spectrophotometers that tell you the shade based off of the absorbance of the light reflected off of the tooth, or I can ask someone to confirm like you said. In the practical world, I never had issues and I never knew I had a deficiency until 6 months ago by accident in my physiology course when I failed a color vision test.
then I really wouldn't sweat it, you will be totally fine.

When I started D1 year, I had some flashes in my eyes.

I thought it was from sleep deprivation and normal studying as a D1, but went to the optometrist in winter break. I have been going fairly regularly to the same one, and have never needed to wear glasses thank God. He did some tests, and referred me to an opthamologist. He did some more tests and scans and they found a mass in the back of my eye.

The opthamologist told me he has never seen this before and it could be nothing or I could be blind in a few years. He said to get really good disability insurance and keep following up with him. That was a super scary moment for me in my career. Anyways, I followed up for regularly for two years, and at my last follow up he said it has regressed and is almost gone which I am very grateful to God for. I did not do any treatment or meds at all.

Did not affect my dentistry at all, and I am hopefully looking forward to a wonderful and long career! if even shade matching for you isn't affected you can be a great doc :)

• Care
then I really wouldn't sweat it, you will be totally fine.

When I started D1 year, I had some flashes in my eyes.

I thought it was from sleep deprivation and normal studying as a D1, but went to the optometrist in winter break. I have been going fairly regularly to the same one, and have never needed to wear glasses thank God. He did some tests, and referred me to an opthamologist. He did some more tests and scans and they found a mass in the back of my eye.

The opthamologist told me he has never seen this before and it could be nothing or I could be blind in a few years. He said to get really good disability insurance and keep following up with him. That was a super scary moment for me in my career. Anyways, I followed up for regularly for two years, and at my last follow up he said it has regressed and is almost gone which I am very grateful to God for. I did not do any treatment or meds at all.

Did not affect my dentistry at all, and I am hopefully looking forward to a wonderful and long career! if even shade matching for you isn't affected you can be a great doc :)
Wow that must've been extremely scary. I wouldn't even know how to handle that news. I am so glad you are ok and you are still able to do the profession that you love. God works in mysterious ways, and that's definitely a miracle that you didn't even need medical intervention for that . I wish you nothing but a long, healthy, and happy career! I appreciate the advice.

• Care
I’m colorblind as well and I have no issues. I would imagine it being even less of a problem for OS. Besides, if you’re seeing green in someone’s mouth there’s probably something going on.
As a GP there is much more shade matching and esthetics, and even so I don’t have a problem. The ONLY time I ran into an issue was during dental school on ONE histopathology question. I spoke to the professor and the question was dropped for me.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a colorblind OMS and never have had an issue in the OR or clinic.

The only time I ever had an issue is when my preceptor in dental school told me that there were caries left behind in one of my preps then asked me if I could see the area she was pointing to. I let her know that I could see the area, but I could not see the caries she was talking about. She looked at me dumfounded until I asked her what color it was - pink. Alas, I am color blind and could not see it. She let me go without incident haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I am a colorblind OMS and never have had an issue in the OR or clinic.

The only time I ever had an issue is when my preceptor in dental school told me that there were caries left behind in one of my preps then asked me if I could see the area she was pointing to. I let her know that I could see the area, but I could not see the caries she was talking about. She looked at me dumfounded until I asked her what color it was - pink. Alas, I am color blind and could not see it. She let me go without incident haha.
Thank you so much for your reply! it makes me feel alot better knowing there are successful OMFS out there who are colorblind like myself.

Thank you so much for your reply! it makes me feel alot better knowing there are successful OMFS out there who are colorblind like myself.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here - I never said I was successful.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users