Colombia or Peru?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFool

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a student (from the USA) going to colombia or peru to medical school?

Ha escuchado alquien de una persona que estudiaba en una escuela medica en colombia o peru?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey thanks. My girlfriend and I were thinking of living in Colombia if I don't get into school in the USA because she's from colombia but I am thinking about DR also. looks good because I can get loans. I speak spanish so that's not a problem. I got some F's in my transcript a long time ago (almost all A's in the last 3 years) that seem to be getting me a lot of rejections so I might be studying in latin america next year.

I honestly don't care where I end up practicing, I'd be willing to live a simple life in a latin american country and in fact I'd rather live in the country where I study as long as I have the ability to pay my bills and travel every once in a while.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, Listen Im A Premed Here In Miami At Florida International University. Im From Colombia And This December Im Going Back To Cali To Start Medical School. It Is So Much Better Because You Dont Have To Spend 4 Years Of B.s In Order To Get A Degree In Go To Med School. In Colom Bia All You Have To Do Is Take The State Exam Which Is Like The Sat To Get In. I Dont Know I You Guys Know But Now Days Every One Is Flying To Colombia For Medicine. They Have Great Doctors And Top Surgeons. All I Can Say Is That If You Want A Great Medical Education At A Really Low Cost Then Cololmbia Is A Great Place. They Have Top Medical Schools In All Of South America. Just Do You Research. The Cities I Recommend Are Cali, Bogota, And Medellin. Im Going To Cali!!!!! Forget The Usa And Its $40,000 A Year Med School Tuition!

Hey thanks. My girlfriend and I were thinking of living in Colombia if I don't get into school in the USA because she's from colombia but I am thinking about DR also. looks good because I can get loans. I speak spanish so that's not a problem. I got some F's in my transcript a long time ago (almost all A's in the last 3 years) that seem to be getting me a lot of rejections so I might be studying in latin america next year.

I honestly don't care where I end up practicing, I'd be willing to live a simple life in a latin american country and in fact I'd rather live in the country where I study as long as I have the ability to pay my bills and travel every once in a while.

I respect your idealistic veiw of life, but, I'm a last year student in Colombia. It's OK that you don't care too much about money, because the payment for general practitioneers is too low, like 2000000 a month if you are lucky.
The practice is frustrating as a GP, you can't even had an urine culture for a pyelonephritis being a GP.
Nonetheless, I'd say our quality of med education is very respectable and has plenity of oportunities for the intelligent student.