Cold Weather Interview Attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a native California girl and have very little experience with real cold and snow (I consider it "cold" if it drops below 60 degrees ;)) However, I will be interviewing at a several schools (Creighton, and U of Minnesota) that actually have inclement weather, and I am really clueless on how to dress where I can stay warm and actually look professional.

I purchased a new suit in charcoal grey that I will be having tailored. I'm still having trouble finding the right blouse to go with my suit, but I'm leaning towards a pink button down shirt.

I own a very nice wool coat, but it's not very warm. Right after Christmas we had a bit of a cold spell where it dipped into the high 30's and low 40s here I was still pretty chilly wearing even with wearing a few layers underneath, so I don't think it would hold up to temperatures in single digits and below. I purchased a down coat from Land's End. This seemed to be the best balance I could find between warmth and and class without breaking the bank. It looks like it will be long enough to wear over my suit jacket. I will probably bring both coats with me, and see how cold it is when I'm there.

Now come the trouble with putting together the rest of my outfit. I received a really nice black circle scarf for Christmas that I think will look quite lovely, but I'm not sure what to do about a hat. I love the way knit berets look, but I'm not sure if they would be considered "professional" enough, and the one I have is certainly not warm enough. Should I be looking for a more structured hat? Maybe like a cloche or a newsboy? I would love some good example of chic women's hats that will look very classy, keep me warm and not mess up my hair too badly.

I was originally thinking black pumps to wear with my suit, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should look into some nice ankle boots to wear instead, such as these I found from DSW. I am wearing a pants suit. I don't think I want to carry around a change of shoes if I can possibly help it.

Underthings! Do you wear long underwear under your suit? What about tights or leggings? Any recommendations on thermals that will keep me warm but won't add bulk to my suit? I get really cold easily outside, but I'm also concerned that I might get too hot while indoors. I understand many places will really crank up the heat, and the last thing I need is to start sweating during my interview (at least from heat, that is).

Is there anything else I should consider? Do I wear any additional layers?

Thank you for helping out a clueless California girl. I'm honestly more nervous about the cold weather and snow than the actual interviews.

Members don't see this ad.