CNA and Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowfairy1004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone worked or taken classes to become a certified nurse assistant? I thinking about doing it this summer so I can work during my gap year in a clinical setting. Has anyone ever shadowed? Do you know if there is paperwork you have to go through to do it at a clinic? I really want to shadow at ER.

Members don't see this ad.

I too have the same thoughts and wants. If anyone can give info on this subject, I'll explode :D

I am a senior in college now. I have been a CNA at the local Level 1 hospital for many years now. And to be honest, I love my CNA job in the Recovery Room of the O.R. I must admit that I would probably never work as a CNA in a nursing home, but I know people who really injoy that. My job is quite simplistic (basically just transporting pts), but the things I get to SEE and the people I get to know is an amazing experience. I also get paid quite well ($13/hr)

As far as shadowing, thats a different story. I have attempted this many many times. And honestly, it is up to the individual physician. Some will say no flat out, because either they're busy, or training medical students, or they're cite pt. confidentiality. Don't forget the new HIPAA laws are very tough on pt. confidentiality. Some will allow you to tag along, but first the pts. must ok at, and that acceptance must be noted on paper. And then sometimes you'll get a doctor who would love for you to shadow them. My only advice, is to ask the MDs in person (harder to say no face-2-face), and make sure you dress nicely!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a CNA at a nursing home and they paid for all training and certification. I have been doing it for the last year and I feel that I actually make a difference in my resident's lives. I could not do the job for the rest of my life like some people, but I feel it is a great motivator to go into medicine.

I do not always smell or look good at the end of the night, and it is not a glorifying job at all. As long as you don't mind the sight of some nasty stuff, it is great! It also pays pretty well for a part time college job.

I make $9.47 hr.

Go CNA's!!

I haven't worked as a CNA, so I can't tell you from personal experience, but from what I've encountered, CNA is an ugly, dirty job. As I took my last undergrad class to graduate over the summer I also took the classes to become an EMT, which were really easy and lasted about 3 months. I would suggest going this route if you're at all interested in emergency medicine, I really enjoy it and it keeps me entertained until med school. I also get a lot of really challenging situations which help me become more prepared for work as a doc.

If you do go CNA, the best advice I can give is avoid nursing home work.

Stac'

I would really like to do EMT but can't find any programs that are in the summer in Minneapolis MN. Does anyone know of any EMT programs in MN that can be done over the summer? What are other programs I could do that would be entry level health certificates? I am really really interested in emergency medicine but don't know if I can make it work in a summer.

The Department of Health is who governs EMS systems in every state. Contact your state's DOH and they can tell you where to take classes. I know here they are offered year-round and the classes take about 3 months, part-time.

i was a CNA for 2 years before i started med school. there are some serious advantages and also some serious nasty parts.
on the up side, the pay is good (i worked in long term care - $15.50 and times 2.5 on the holidays!!!), you get an awesome experience with the patient/caretaker relationship, med schools just love it.... every school i went to wanted to talk to me about it.
but....you are changing adult diapers, bathing and dressing adults, etc. i have been crapped on, puked on (some of it hit my face), pissed on, had more food than i care to remember poured all over me, i dislocated my shoulder rolling an obese patient, and i emptied wound drainage bags (meaning 'filled with puss'), and worse yet colostomy bags.
BUT, i wouldn't trade my experience for anything. the training was relatively easy, and sometimes nursing homes will pay for it if you agree to work their afterwards. its a job that is in high demand, so you don't have to worry about finding work, and it is pretty flexible with school/other work schedules.

I got certified as a CNA last year and work as an ER technician. Went the CNA route rather than EMT because its much quicker and easier. Our ER has the techs do phlebotomy, EKGs, catheters, as well as all the splinting and bandaging.... LOTS of hands on. I recommend the route I took highly... quick and easy and the perfect experience.

I had to do 40? hrs in a nursing home for the CNA certif. and I would avoid that work at all costs. Good luck