CME funds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StealthTech

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The end of the year is coming up and a lot of you all have remaining CME dollars. Unlike other specialties there seems to be limited ways to spend this other than the few conferences, books, and board review programs available. Do any of you have any good strategies here?

Members don't see this ad.

Anything that gives a gift card when purchasing. MDCalc is a decent one. Oakstone course also has one if you want some actual review material.

But none of the MDCalc content is "radiation oncology" related. Don't you think that may trigger an audit?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you treat a lot of neuro or head and neck, I would get an e anatomy subscription. You will actually use it.

Reactions: 1 users
You can ask around in the Dept, sometimes there is a "semi-secret" way to use up CME funds, e.g. to purchase electronics, etc

If its a hospital based job.. think carefully about playing fast and loose. An ethical violation could be a cascade of pain you don't want to deal with..

If its a hospital based job.. think carefully about playing fast and loose. An ethical violation could be a cascade of pain you don't want to deal with..
Especially if it’s the hospital that keeps charging 3D for whole brains and cone beaming every bone met…

Especially if it’s the hospital that keeps charging 3D for whole brains and cone beaming every bone met…
3D fine for whole brain, what are you, an evilcore reviewer? Lol
SiREfgD.png

Members don't see this ad :)
The end of the year is coming up and a lot of you all have remaining CME dollars. Unlike other specialties there seems to be limited ways to spend this other than the few conferences, books, and board review programs available. Do any of you have any good strategies here?
Look up radiology conferences or other oncology conferences (medonc, GU onc, gyn onc, whatever) in places you want to go. If it's end of the year and those conferences aren't happening until next fiscal year, pay the registration fee with this year's money and then pay for your lodging etc. with nexts year's money. This depends on how your employer handles this. Some will allow you to pay as you go, others only pay once the conference has been completed. Seriously, if you guys are only attending radonc conferences you're doing it wrong. There is an entire industry built around CME, and frankly both medonc and radiology are well within our scope of knowledge.

ACRO meeting location SUCKS once again. I understand they are "tryna keep costs down" but if this is one of 4 or 5 weeks I have off in the year, I don't f'n want to go to g-damn Orlando people! It BLOWS!

Hawaii? Maybe. S Florida? YES PLEASE there are tons of hotels nearby so one can pick and choose hotel quality etc.

ACRO meeting location SUCKS once again. I understand they are "tryna keep costs down" but if this is one of 4 or 5 weeks I have off in the year, I don't f'n want to go to g-damn Orlando people! It BLOWS!

Hawaii? Maybe. S Florida? YES PLEASE there are tons of hotels nearby so one can pick and choose hotel quality etc.

I think they only alternate between Orlando and Ft Lauderdale

Reactions: 2 users
I refuse to go to Orlando. I paid like 65$ and got 70 CME credits from AMA for doing the silly maintenance ABR nonsense.

Seriously thinking about the alternate NBPAS as my hospital takes it and I'm tired of being hosed by the ABR to do this silly stuff.

The questions are either homer simpson level stupid, totally esoteric, or "gotcha" questions if you read them too quickly. Nothing whatsoever useful for my daily practice. I wonder what happens to people who go "Below" their magical line? Do they have to take a real test? Get lashed? Totally stupid. Sad the lawsuits against MOC failed...

I refuse to go to Orlando. I paid like 65$ and got 70 CME credits from AMA for doing the silly maintenance ABR nonsense.

Seriously thinking about the alternate NBPAS as my hospital takes it and I'm tired of being hosed by the ABR to do this silly stuff.

The questions are either homer simpson level stupid, totally esoteric, or "gotcha" questions if you read them too quickly. Nothing whatsoever useful for my daily practice. I wonder what happens to people who go "Below" their magical line? Do they have to take a real test? Get lashed? Totally stupid. Sad the lawsuits against MOC failed...
Can't be worse than San Antonio every other year which is what ASTRO has felt like lately.... Better beaches and Tampa nearby, and hate to say it but plenty of options there if you are bringing the fam vs chi town

Just got back from Vegas, not sure why no love for sin city from either acro or ASTRO. Absinthe was hilarious and good stunts

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Mayo has a radiation oncology meeting in Jan/Feb each year which moves from isle to isle in Hawaii: link here.

This used to be an ACRO meeting but is now independent; also radiation oncology-specific and on a different Hawaiian island each year.

I like the Kukuna o ka la conference that is always in Hawaii, went 3 times in 6 years, switching off with colleague.

The venue was always good an the CME actually much better than I expected.

Radonccme.org