Clinical Roundtable: Rapid Response Teams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That was merely an arbitrary number I came up with. :cool: (based on optimal staffing guidelines for a medical/surgical floor) I know many hospitals don't follow optimal ratios.

the small e.d. I work in(28k/yr) has 11 beds and 2 nurses total/shift so if full we have a 5.5:1 nursing ratio with 1 provider(me) seeing all 11......

Members don't see this ad.

I rarely work ER only as a float, so not familiar with standard norms there. Where I work there are good ratios, but the med/surg nurses are spoiled complainers who don't know how good they have it, and sit at the nurses station complaining and surfing the net whenever they have a chance. Our ER is similarly disposed. I work ICU/CCU where the nursing staff has better work ethics.

Members don't see this ad :)
hallway pts should be avoided if possible...

if nothing else, it's not very private...

if they are there, (nursing) priority #1 is to get them a room...

We've had rapid response in house now for close to two years. Preliminary results for own our institution show a substantial decrease in the amount of codes. During the day, a critical care or hospitalist attending along with a critical care nurse, pharmacist and respiratory therapist usually comprise the rapid response team. The in-house senior resident on medicine consult is also expected to come to all rapid responses. At night, the attendings aren't in house, but a senior critical care nurse is. On call residents are expected to come to rapids responses at night.

The RRT should be looked at as an extra pair of hands and as a mechanism for simulating ICU level care on the general floor. It also helps in securing an open bed in the ICU and cuts down on the wait time and workload of the on call resident in transferring a patient to the ICU. When RRT works well, the primary intern and/or resident on call runs the rapid response and delegates tasks to the rapid response team. The attending present sits quietly beside the resident running the RR and offers suggestions, approvals, or polite disagreements. When it runs poorly, primary residents arrive sheepish and the RRT dominates the decision making process while leaving out the members of the team who know the patient best.

I've seen it work fantastically and badly. It often mostly relies on the personalities of those on the team. Overall, I think RRT have been great additions. Most of us (residents) actually feel like we aren't getting enough code experience but feel very well versed in managing hypoxia, hypotension, SVT, VT, AMS, etc.

Now, though, when a rapid response is announced over head, the residents in the ICU cringe.

Does your hospitals data show any impact on outcomes?

I want to say that is has based on a conversation I had with one of the attendings whose research focus is in this area. I'll shoot him an e-mail and see.

In our program, only residents are part of an RRT team. However, during overnight or weekend call, interns are also supposed to report to all RRTs. About 50% of the time, I am at a loss as to how to help. Many of us end up standing by the bedside, not really doing much and basically getting in the way. Codes are a different story. Interns have a very specific role. We go through code training so when a code is called we're not guessing as to what we're supposed to do. We even have our compressions measured during code training so we know if we are good "compressors". So I just wanted to know if any other programs have RRT training for interns, or certain responsibilities for interns during an RRT. Thank you.

the small e.d. I work in(28k/yr) has 11 beds and 2 nurses total/shift so if full we have a 5.5:1 nursing ratio with 1 provider(me) seeing all 11......
28k/year and only 11 beds? Is that usual?

The hospital ED I'm at sees 56k/year and has 31 beds, not counting the 3 trauma beds + 3 psych rooms.

28k/year and only 11 beds? Is that usual?

The hospital ED I'm at sees 56k/year and has 31 beds, not counting the 3 trauma beds + 3 psych rooms.
It depends on acuity and turnover. If your admission rate is 5% because of a higher number of 99283's, then you don't need as many beds. Likewise, if your admitted patients are camping out in the ED for 2-3 days at a time waiting on a bed upstairs, then you need less beds in your ED.

It depends on acuity and turnover. If your admission rate is 5% because of a higher number of 99283's, then you don't need as many beds. Likewise, if your admitted patients are camping out in the ED for 2-3 days at a time waiting on a bed upstairs, then you need less beds in your ED.

Ah, makes sense. This is a tertiary hospital, so LOTS of admits.