PhD/PsyD Clinical Psych PhD Programs with Trauma Treatment Centers and/or Certificates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureclinicalpsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! As a future clinical psychologist, I am hoping to specialize in PTSD treatment. The SDN forums about programs with advisors doing trauma research and the APA Division 56 list of programs have been very helpful. I am curious if you all know of any PhD clinical programs that have trauma treatment centers (and/or child advocacy centers) at their university, or have nearby trauma practicum opportunities. I am also wondering if you might know of any PhD programs that offer certificates in trauma recovery, trauma studies, PTSD treatment, etc. Thank you all for any advice that you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

I would look for programs that offer practica at a VA, either within a PTSD clinic or one that involves PTSD treatment (e.g., MST, post-deployment, sometimes general mental health as well). Some VA sites will let practicum students get certified in CPT.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! As a future clinical psychologist, I am hoping to specialize in PTSD treatment. The SDN forums about programs with advisors doing trauma research and the APA Division 56 list of programs have been very helpful. I am curious if you all know of any PhD clinical programs that have trauma treatment centers (and/or child advocacy centers) at their university, or have nearby trauma practicum opportunities. I am also wondering if you might know of any PhD programs that offer certificates in trauma recovery, trauma studies, PTSD treatment, etc. Thank you all for any advice that you may have!

UMSL has a trauma treatment center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would look for programs that offer practica at a VA, either within a PTSD clinic or one that involves PTSD treatment (e.g., MST, post-deployment, sometimes general mental health as well). Some VA sites will let practicum students get certified in CPT.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I will look into programs that offer these opportunities.

UMSL has a trauma treatment center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!
academic affiliate programs to VAs are a good bet too. You could do research in that population as part of your thesis more readily that way.

Examples UCSD, UF. . .

Ah, great! Thank you. I'll look into those programs and others that are VA affiliates.

Reactions: 1 users
University of Nebraska, Lincoln's clinical program has a faculty member who does research with child advocacy centers. That program was one of my top choices for that reason!

University of Pennsylvania (and some other local Philly programs) has a practicum at the Center for Treatment and Study of Anxiety which trains PhD students in Prolonged Exposure (PE) for PTSD with Edna Foa and at the end the students are certified PE therapists.