Clinical Mental Health AND School Counseling - Best Paths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephhhhs

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wrapping up my undergrad this spring and I'm trying to figure out my next step as far as grad school. Currently I just want to focus on getting a master's.

My plan is to first begin my career with school counseling, which I know requires certification and in PA requires the Praxis. However, my ultimate end goal is to practice independently. Most school counseling programs I have seen offered in Pennsylvania also allow eligibility for licensure (LPC, which is fine for me) on top of certification, which seems perfect, but I feel like if I eventually want to practice on my own my education will be missing some key components that would be covered with a clinical mental health counseling curriculum. The other problem is it appears it would take me longer, as well as cost more, if I pursued clinical mental health counseling as a master's and then pursued school counseling certification considering the master's is 60 credits itself and the certification is extra, plus the Praxis. I'm sure there is also certification available for clinical mental health, but same issue in it being additional time and expense. Maybe this is unavoidable, but that's why I'm here because I just don't know what's best.

The only school I've found that offers both in a single program is Penn. I have a pretty solid GPA at 3.7, but it's Penn... and I'm not trying to put all my eggs in one basket with that (unless someone can speak to this program not being as competitive). Considering I have taken almost all of my undergrad classes online, I'm going to be lacking in the academic references area as well, but I have strong professional ones with my current job (though not relevant to the field). I will also be completing my degree with a certificate in Trauma-Informed Approaches.

With that, I was wondering if anyone either had recommendations of schools in Pennsylvania that offer a blend of/both school counseling and clinical mental health counseling in a single program, or some advice as to what the best path would be so far as applying for either masters program given my goals.

I appreciate any help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

CACREP DIRECTORY

Search accredited programs, use the filters to look at state and type of masters program, you can check both clinical mental health and school counseling. 33 programs popped up. Some schools had both. You can probably look at each school to see if any have the combined program. Good luck!

I’d check the other school counseling thread in this forum that I just responded to to give you a sense of the day-to-day duties of a a school counselor. That may help you round it down to one path.

I was in a program that had two tracks (community counseling and school counseling) but had to choose just one. I picked the least limiting option, which was the community counseling track, because in my state, you couldn’t become a licensed mental health practitioner if you were a school counselor. If you are set on both, you need to make sure you know the duties of each and apply to the appropriate programs as linked to above by @MAClinician .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

From my own research I've discovered, at least in my state, if one wants to do both they need to enter the school counseling track or pursue the certification offered following receiving a master's degree. The clinical mental health path itself does not meet the specific state requirements for school counselor certification. It appears some school counseling tracks require a few additional courses to meet licensure requirements, but it depends on the individual program.

From the typical description of school counselors, it appears very little counseling actually happens. However, for disadvantaged children the school system is often times the only opportunity a student will have to receive any intervention or help at all which is what really draws me into this position. Students that get referred out likely won't ever see that person given they already have barriers to access that prevented them from seeking it in the first place. Would there be a better career path to address that need?

If you have an opportunity try to reach out to school counselors in your state to ask those questions. Maybe start with the district you graduated from? You are correct there are many barriers for disadvantaged populations. In my state, Medicaid allows for home based counseling to address the transportation barriers. Some school districts have mental health “centers” in their schools where they allow outside mental health counselors to come in and meet with kids there. But that doesn’t exist in every school in every district. It will depend on what you want to do. If you don’t think you will move out of PA, then talk to folks who are doing what you think you want to do, to see what it’s really like.

I would love to, if they are not offered in my state (definitely not when I was in school), be a force in implementing such centers into the school systems! Maybe one day I will move out of PA, I'm not dedicated to living here forever, but the counseling certification requirements seem to be some of the most stringent and thus easiest to match with requirements in other states rather than vice versa should that day come. In the mean time, I'll definitely have to speak to professionals in my area to gauge if they believe that would be within the scope of their positions, and if not what is. Appreciate the advice!

Hi, so as some have mentioned I would try and find dual programs where they offer both within the same degree. I am not sure if you have more universities in PA or if you would consider going out of state.

School counseling (at least in CA) duties are mainly with class schedules, college prep, support groups, and whatever else the principal wants them to do. There aren't many job postings for them. From what I have seen, is that they're getting rid of them. A lot of elementary schools don't have them now.

if you want to do actual counseling/therapy I would look into school psychology. the job market is great and they are always hiring (especially here in CA) the pay in southern CA (not LA) is really high. Orange County they start around $92k.

Right now, I am finishing my masters in counseling, option in school psychology. Most school psych programs are 3 years. 2 years of courses + practicum and your 3rd year it's full time internship.
with my program I took additional courses in clinical to meet the requirements for the Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC). Because my school is a public university, I pay like $4k per semester for full time tuition. School psych courses are usually 4 classes each semester, so about 12-14 units and I took 1-2 clinical courses each semester. I didn't have to pay extra, because I was already paying full time tuition. they didn't charge for additional units.

The LPCC would give me the option to practice psychotherapy as a clinical counselor at schools, hospitals, clinics, or open up my own practice.

so maybe that can be something to look into. calling each program and asking about that.

as a school psych you'll do actual counseling (individual/group), behavioral/academic/socioemotional interventions, a lot of assessments, and report writing. It might vary from state to state on their job description, but I think it would be a better option if you.