Clinical Laboratory Science majors?

Witless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I looked at all the similar threads and didn't find an answer.)

I'm going to be applying to college in the fall and I was looking at schools trying to find something to major in that would give me a backup plan if I decide not to go to med school (which is unlikely, but better safe than sorry :p). I came across the Diagnostic Genetic Sciences major at UCONN, which combines my love for genetics with my interest in medicine, so it's ideal. It leads to cytogenetics or molecular diagnostics certification and a bachelor's degree, so I'd have the option to go to grad school for genetics or to be a medical technologist doing genetic testing, both of which I'd be perfectly happy doing should I decide not to go on to med school. My question is: when applying to med schools, would adcoms see having a professional major as being unfaithful to medicine? Would I be at a disadvantage?

I'm planning on applying to a couple of other schools as a clinical laboratory major as well, so it'd be nice to know whether or not it's a good idea ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do something fun or something you can see yourself doing for a long time. When you major in something, it should be of interest, which helps make your GPA high.

I actually thought of this as well, in case I didn't want to be a medical student. In my case, I chose biology, which is probably the hardest major at my school, but is the most interesting for me. I sometimes think about graduate school or becoming a biology professor, etc. Either way, it is something that will free me up to be whatever I want to be.

We often have aspiration and dreams that are pretty specific. But, the most baseline dream I have builds on biology, so that is why I want to be a biology major.

Take home: Just do something you would be interested for the rest of your life. I love biology and can see myself interested in the subject forever. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very career-oriented pathway, much like nursing and engineering, and is similarly hard. My RA last year was this, and is applying to med school in the fall. He says that it SUCKS. You basically take slightly watered-down med school classes on top of the pre-med and general education requirements. He was taking clinical hematology and clinical pathology, on top of studying for the MCAT.

Although it might sound like a decent 2nd option, would you really want to be stuck in a hospital lab running blood tests for the rest of your life? Because that is what they do, and they don't make the best money.

Well, I know the job isn't the greatest, but I plan on being stuck in a hospital for the rest of my life anyway. Majoring in biology doesn't really appeal to me for some reason. I suppose I could always major in statistics or something and go into biostatistics/statistical genetics, which I can definitely see myself doing.

I have a ton of time to make my decision anyway.

EDIT: After deciding that I will, without any doubt, end up going to medical school, I decided to narrow down my list of majors to:
-Cognitive Science
-Communication Disorders
-Statistics

I'm equally passionate about all 3. If only I could somehow pull off a triple major!

Last edited:
You do know that you donot need to be sure of your major as you enter college. If you are interested in science related areas (it look like you are) take a few courses in those and see which one fits your taste.

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I looked at all the similar threads and didn't find an answer.)

I'm going to be applying to college in the fall and I was looking at schools trying to find something to major in that would give me a backup plan if I decide not to go to med school (which is unlikely, but better safe than sorry :p). I came across the Diagnostic Genetic Sciences major at UCONN, which combines my love for genetics with my interest in medicine, so it's ideal. It leads to cytogenetics or molecular diagnostics certification and a bachelor's degree, so I'd have the option to go to grad school for genetics or to be a medical technologist doing genetic testing, both of which I'd be perfectly happy doing should I decide not to go on to med school. My question is: when applying to med schools, would adcoms see having a professional major as being unfaithful to medicine? Would I be at a disadvantage?

I'm planning on applying to a couple of other schools as a clinical laboratory major as well, so it'd be nice to know whether or not it's a good idea ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!

You can see from my username that I'm a clinical lab nerd. I just graduated in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, and I loved it. It was a good fit for me, because I wanted to jump into studying a clinically related field. My fascination with medicine stems from loving to solve puzzles and learning the process of diagnosing diseases, and this major satiated some of the craving to learn how to do it. You learn how to interpret lab results (albeit not as much as medical students I think. "Watered down" like someone above stated). I considered other options, and decided to take a CLS class to try it out and fell in love with it.

Never in an interview did anyone drill me on being unfaithful to medicine by majoring in CLS. Several interviewers said that it was a good background to have, and not a common pathway for applicants to take (both positive things I think).

It's not for everybody. It took me an extra year to graduate, but I don't regret it.

Well, I know the job isn't the greatest, but I plan on being stuck in a hospital for the rest of my life anyway. Majoring in biology doesn't really appeal to me for some reason. I suppose I could always major in statistics or something and go into biostatistics/statistical genetics, which I can definitely see myself doing.

I have a ton of time to make my decision anyway.

EDIT: After deciding that I will, without any doubt, end up going to medical school, I decided to narrow down my list of majors to:
-Cognitive Science
-Communication Disorders
-Statistics

I'm equally passionate about all 3. If only I could somehow pull off a triple major!

Looks like you may have ruled it out, but if you have any questions you can PM me.

I want to coordinate with Students Majoring in Biology in to do Clinical Lab Science. Cytotechnologists please.. all Undergraduate will be welcome.
I want to set up a Lab at my house for experimental testing. I do have enough room... and so I figured it would be nice to consult with other students...
[email protected]

I am at Prairie View A&M university...