Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read that PA programs typically require clinical experience. On average, how many hours do they want? Also, would experience as a Rehabilitation Aide (assistant to physical and occupational therapists) satisfy this requirement?

Thank you!

PH

Members don't see this ad.

Not all programs have a specific hour requirement, but some have as much as 2000 hours required, it depends on the program. I think a Rehab Aide would be fine for most programs, assuming you have direct patient contact, which tends the most important factor to most programs.

PH,

The best thing to do is always consult directly with each individual program that you are considering applying to. As you do research on schools, you will find that the requirements vary quite extensively as to patient contact hours. With this information, you can start to make decisions on which schools best meet your needs, and vice versa. Best of luck!

Monika
UTMB PA class of 2005:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Sarah and Monika for your replies!

By the way, if you would not mind my asking, what were your backgrounds prior to pursuing physician assistant training?

PH

PH,

I don't mind telling you about my background. I have a master's degree in psychology and was a counselor. When I decided to pursue a PA career, I began volunteering at two different ER's and completed about 250 hours of volunteer time. While completing prereqs for school, I received my EMT-Basic certification and started working full-time in a Pediatric ICU as a Patient Care assistant. I have worked in the PICU for about a year and a half. I have shadowed 3 PA's, it's very important to try and get at least one recommendation letter from a PA. I know people with quite a bit more experience than myself, and some who only have volunteer/shadowing experience who are accepted. In general, PA programs like to see well-rounded applicants who have a very solid understanding of the PA profession. Of course, good grades, test scores (GRE, etc.,) rec letters, narrative statement, and interviews are important too!

Best of luck,
Monika
UTMB PA class of 2005:)

I am currently finishing my last couple of semesters of Undergrad. I will be graduating in December with a degree in Biology and Psychology. I will be applying for the class of 2006. I have been working as an Optometric Technician at two different practices for about 2.5 years. I have volunteered at the hospital for almost a year now. I will actually shadow 2 PA's tommorrow and hopefully more soon. And, I will be taking the GRE in the upcoming months when I begin to apply to schools. Hope this helps!!

hey guys,
how do u guys get in touch with PA's to shadow. I live in florida and I ahve been trying for a while. I am having a very hard time. Thas for your help .

optimist 819

Optimist 819,

Visit the the student academy of AAPA, go to the "pre-pa students" section. There is a link there about shadowing, best of luck.

http://saaapa.aapa.org/

Monika :)

Originally posted by optimist819
hey guys,
how do u guys get in touch with PA's to shadow. I live in florida and I ahve been trying for a while. I am having a very hard time. Thas for your help .

optimist 819

Best bet is to contact the state's chapter of the AAPA...you can find the link from the AAPA's website...also may have luck by contacting the program(s) in the area...

Monika-

I was wondering what you did as a Patient Care Assistant in the PICU? On advice from emedpa, I am currently getting my EMT-B certification. I had planned to volunteer with an EMS service, but now I'm seeing that there are other opportunities for EMT-Bs. Where did you work? I live in Houston, and I see you will be attending UTMB. I am applying to the Baylor program this year. Anyway, I just was wondering what specifically you did with your EMT-B certification as a PCA and where you did it.

Thanks,
Candace

I also got my EMT-B certification and worked in a hospital - the trauma/surgical ICU. You get to see some very interesting cases and there is opportunity for interaction with PAs. This may be a good way for you to find someone to shadow. As a PCA, in my experience, you work mostly with the nurses and the work is not glamourous, but you get patient contact and you get to work as part of the health care team. It can be a positive experience if you are working with the right people. Good luck!

Kelly
UF PA Class of 2005

Candace,

Hi there! I have actually been trying to reply to your post for a couple of days, but for whatever reason, my post would never go through. Anyway, you asked what I did with my EMT-B cert. Initially, I thought I wanted to use it to work as a Tech in a Level One Trauma ER, like Ben Taub or Hermann here in the Med Center. I was already volunteering at the ER at Ben Taub, and it was definitely a great experience. My heart really belongs to children though..so I used it as a stepping stone into an entry level healthcare position at the PICU at Texas Children's Hospital. I had been working there for a year and a half in a non-clinical position, and knew that without some sort of certification, I would not be able to do much in the area of "hands-on" healthcare. So, my EMT-B got me in the door. Take note though, you very well may be able to secure a healthcare position w/o any sort of certification. I have seen this mostly in adult care facilities, they are a bit more strict in the pediatric environment. Like the last poster said, a PCA's position is not at all glamorous, but it is what you decide to make of it. I have learned an incredible amount of knowledge in the PICU, you see every diagnosis imaginable in this environment. Lots of heartache, but when the children recover from their critical illness, there is nothing more satisfying to witness. As a PCA, we take vitals, prime IV fluids, dc IV's/foleys, set up art/cvp lines, perform bedside care, and other various duties. Like I said, it is not glamorous, but you can learn as much as you want to in this environment. I have met many PA's at Texas Children's and shadowed them, I hope to return as a PA when I complete my studies. I hope I answered your questions?? Best of luck in your quest! :)

Monika
UTMB PA class of 2005