Clinical Acumen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

po_boy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What things after training really helped you develop your clinical acumen? Were there any good books that helped you make better diagnoses based off of patient history (eg exacerbating/mitigating factors)? Any epiphanies you had during your first few years out after training? How long did it take you to really get comfortable/confident in what you were doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Always ask your patient for clarification

“My hip hurts”
“Point to where that is”
Patient points to their butt

All. The. Time.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Always ask your patient for clarification

“My hip hurts”
“Point to where that is”
Patient points to their butt

All. The. Time.

Every single time. And half the time they say they have shoulder pain, they point to trapezius

Members don't see this ad :)
Every single time. And half the time they say they have shoulder pain, they point to trapezius
I feel like 80% of time, neck pain is actually myofascial pain with poor posture a la upper cross syndrome.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
What things after training really helped you develop your clinical acumen? Were there any good books that helped you make better diagnoses based off of patient history (eg exacerbating/mitigating factors)? Any epiphanies you had during your first few years out after training? How long did it take you to really get comfortable/confident in what you were doing?
I found this website that has been extremely helpful.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
All joking aside, this forum is a continual source of information for me. I need to come up with some way to make my participation here count towards practice improvement projects for my MOCA.

Actually, I was joking when I started writing that sentence, and became serious by the time it was finished. Do we think that could work?

Reactions: 7 users
All joking aside, this forum is a continual source of information for me. I need to come up with some way to make my participation here count towards practice improvement projects for my MOCA.

Actually, I was joking when I started writing that sentence, and became serious by the time it was finished. Do we think that could work?
Genius!
I think if we can find some way to formalize the case discussions we could claim some practice improvement credit.
Like, maybe in the next 2 weeks?

Calling @lobelsteve - you've got experience with running CME courses. Can you think of how we could try to formalize this as a M&M/case review/journal club type of thing with CME and/or PIP credits? I'd be willing to organize but need some help figuring out where to start. Maybe check with mods of other specialty forums to see if anyone else has done something like this?

Reactions: 2 users

You have to attest the information is free of bias. I don’t know if railing at woke liberals every few threads would pass muster ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users