Clients..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short and as non-rambling-like as possible. (And I'm sorry, my tenses will be all over the place. :) )

So we had a relative of a client that was in the other day, and one of the vets asked her if she wanted the nails trimmed on the dog she had brought in. Typically she has them done whenever she comes in, but the nails had been cut about a month ago, and she said no. None of us are really sure why, but the doctor preceded to cut them anyway. So, the tech decided that it wouldn't be fair to charge for it. Later that day, about 20 min before we closed, the client calls asking to bring the dog in again to see the doctor because the area around the dewclaw is swollen and seems painful. She explained that the dog had been fine that morning, and this is something that she had seen a vet for previously. (Apparently not at our clinic -- she sees 2 other vets in the area.) We offered her an appointment for the next day, explaining, after she asks, that there will be a recheck exam fee. She questions why, stating she would understand if this had arisen on its own, and in a roundabout way, insinuating the situation is our fault. After my attempts at answering her questions fail, she speaks to the owner/chief veterinarian. They come to an agreement that if it is something caused by the nail trim there will be no charge, but if it is unrelated there will be a fee. Fast forward to the appointment... Neither the original doctor nor the owner are in the office, so a different doctor, understanding the situation, does the appointment. It turns out the dewclaws were removed some time ago. Periodically the area gets infected and swells; she has seen a [different] vet about it twice in the past. When the doctor mentions that there will be a recheck fee, the client assures her that she and the other doctor had spoken and agreed that she would be seen at no charge. Not wanting to call her an outright liar, the vet sends the client on her way without the fee.

Was this the appropriate response? The actions of the original vet aside (since none of us are exactly certain what went on in the room), what would you do in this situation?

Personally, I don't know what I would do in the situation. I know that it could be a misunderstanding, and my feelings on the matter may not be in the right, but I feel terribly irked by this woman.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends if you want to keep them as a customer or not. Quick and easy would be to just drop the recheck fee and take their $20 for antibiotics and send them on their way. At least this way you will probably see them again in the future.

Tough situation, but this is a bit of a fishy client? Why would you see three vets in the same area? It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, I agree with David - drop the fee, pay for the drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm...I guess unless there was written record somewhere of the owner/chief veterinarian's original conversation (regarding the recheck fee), then you are kind of in a tight spot. Prob. easiest to just let her go, assuming it was a miscommunication, but I def. would have made a note in the chart for next time, just in case she's trying to scam you guys and it happens again in the future. That's why it's so important to chart everything whenever possible...

What's up with the seeing 2 other clinics in the area though... obviously not loyal, so my deciding factor would not be keeping her as a client! I say let one of the other clinics deal with her!!

Not sure what others will think (and I agree with the previous posts - fee/no fee depends on whether you want to keep the client) - but I bet that if this was human medicine, and a human patient, coming back in, later on in the same day, the office/doctors wouldn't think twice about charging another office visit (recheck or whatever).

Just a random thought of mine after reading this thread, based on some of my recent human medical experiences!

But, ah, it's the humanity of veterinary medicine that would always keep me away from human medicine ;)

I simply refuse to do things for free - i would have charged her. it sets a precedent, and if you allow clients to get away with it once, they'll do it again.

I hate when clients think that because you're working with fluffy little animals you should be doing it pro bono

I don't know what I would have done in the situation (I'm a conflict avoider, usually, unless really irked). However, I'd like to point out the following:

She explained that the dog had been fine that morning, and this is something that she had seen a vet for previously. (Apparently not at our clinic -- she sees 2 other vets in the area.) We offered her an appointment for the next day, explaining, after she asks, that there will be a recheck exam fee. She questions why, stating she would understand if this had arisen on its own, and in a roundabout way, insinuating the situation is our fault.
It turns out the dewclaws were removed some time ago. Periodically the area gets infected and swells; she has seen a [different] vet about it twice in the past.

How on earth would the woman have legitimately thought that a nail trim would cause problems with an area where there are no longer any claws? Sounds like a scammer to me.

(And if the exchange was documented in the chart or one or more of the techs/receptionists could attest to what the agreement had been, I'd really like to think that I'd make the lady pay the fee.)

In some cases, when I had a client persist to argue a charge that I knew was legitimate and reasonable, I gave them two options... Pay the fee and remain a client in good standing, or, release them from paying, but they were not to return to the clinic ever again in the future. It was a way of weeding out those who didn't value/appreciate/trust our services anyway. (Afterall, there are some people that you will never please... often the same ones who bounce from one vet to the next since they're never happy.)

Unfortunately, there are times when you cannot reason with someone, and depending on the circumstances and their history with the clinic and your relationship with them, you either make them pay - knowing they may not return - or you eat the fee and 'save' the client. There are ways of doing it, and there are worse ways of doing it. It was always important to me, when I was a manager, not to sell out my staff, nor give the impression to a client that I was giving them back money because my staff did something wrong - unless we truly had made a mistake (ex. you lost a boarder's leash or something).

I would have given her the bill, along with her records and a firing letter...

Maybe I am too harsh:oops:

Hmmm...I guess unless there was written record somewhere of the owner/chief veterinarian's original conversation (regarding the recheck fee), then you are kind of in a tight spot.

Yeah, that's the key. Any significant communication with a client should be documented in the record. Especially with "special" clients. It only takes about 30 seconds.

When you can say, "Let's see Ms. McSpecial ... according to our records, yesterday at 1:20 pm, Dr. Vet talked to you by phone and said ..." it takes care of the problem 90% of the time.

And for the other 10%, if it ever goes to court and it's not in the record, it didn't happen.

and this is why i have no desire to ever run a clinic :)

and this is why i have no desire to ever run a clinic :)

Doesn't mean you won't encounter a similar situation. Happens whether you run the practice or just work for one.

Doesn't mean you won't encounter a similar situation. Happens whether you run the practice or just work for one.

I think it would actually be more difficult if you didn't run the practice. Personally, I don't do well with high-maintenance clients and I would be much more likely to fire one, but I know many vets that want to keep clients at all costs - and as an associate I would feel obligated to follow my boss' philosophy.