Messaging Clients on Facebook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dee vee emm

Future DVM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OKay so I already thought about this and I'm not going to do it because it sounds slightly stalker-ish...but at the clinic I work at, there's a girl about my age and we get along good when she comes in.

She has a mini dachschund a couple months older than mine (they are still puppies) we let them play together one time at the clinic when they were both there. So she always asks me how my dog is doing and I ask her the same... etc.

Anyways, where I work is kinda in a new city and I've been here bout 2 years, but now that I'm not in school and most of the people I went to school with moved back home, it's kinda hard to meet new people (though I did join a summer volleyball league). But I think it would be fun if we could become friends eventually and like go to the off-leash park and stuff. And I found out too that there's a Dachshund Festival this Saturday and I think she would be excited for it too... but I think if I just messaged her on Facebook that would be maybe weird for her and probably unprofessional on my part.

I guess I could call her from work too, but I don't know if that might even be weird....just wondering what other people think...she probably won't be coming in before Saturday so if I waited till the next time she came in and asked her if she wanted to go to the dog park would that be weird at all?? lol

Or should I just forget about it?

I know this is a super weird post but I just wanted someone else's opinion!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I could call her from work too, but I don't know if that might even be weird....just wondering what other people think...she probably won't be coming in before Saturday so if I waited till the next time she came in and asked her if she wanted to go to the dog park would that be weird at all??

I don't think it's weird or stalkerish.

It becomes weird and stalkerish when you do it twice, after the person didn't respond the first time.

Just call/FB and say "Hey... I've seen you at the vet clinic a few times, and I remember our dogs get along great, and I thought I'd see if you ......"

I don't think it's weird or stalkerish.

It becomes weird and stalkerish when you do it twice, after the person didn't respond the first time.

Just call/FB and say "Hey... I've seen you at the vet clinic a few times, and I remember our dogs get along great, and I thought I'd see if you ......"

If this is someone who works/volunteers/shadows at your clinic, then I don't see why not.

But if it's a client (as it seems like it is from the title of the thread), I'd personally wait for the next time she comes in to the clinic, since she gave her contact info to the clinic for veterinary purposes, and I'm not sure if she or your boss would be happy with you contacting a client for personal reasons. If anything, ask your boss first.

Members don't see this ad :)
But if it's a client (as it seems like it is from the title of the thread), I'd personally wait for the next time she comes in to the clinic, since she gave her contact info to the clinic for veterinary purposes, and I'm not sure if she or your boss would be happy with you contacting a client for personal reasons. If anything, ask your boss first.

thats my gut reaction too. i'd personally be weirded out if a business contacted me for social reasons when i had given them privileged information (even though i might be flattered by the invite). if you do decide to call or FB the person, i would definitely check with the vet or office manager first. although unlikely, what if that person complained to the clinic and you were fired over it? :( i also think that if you're not comfortable asking them whether or not they think its appropriate, you have your answer as to whether or not you should contact the girl.

yeah that's what I was thinking too... it's probably better to wait until she comes in next time and hope I'm working that day! lol

I just wanted to get a different view... but I think if like I was going somewhere professional and I slightly knew someone there and they contacted me to hang out or whatever I might be a bit weirded out. And I don't want her to get weirded out and then her and her family find a different clinic to go to... that would be really bad.

(she is just a client btw).

I wouldn't personally be weirded out if one of the techs at the practice I frequent contacted me- once- about a pet-related social event they thought I might be interested in. I'd only find it awkward if they continued to push the point after I failed to reciprocate (if I weren't interested in having a more friendly relationship with them).

Some have straight-up admitted that they will be Facebook-stalking me after I leave for vet school, haha.

That said, not knowing where this client might stand, it's probably safer to wait until you see them in person again to make any social advances. It's not worth jeopardizing your job, you know?

yeah that's what I was thinking too... it's probably better to wait until she comes in next time and hope I'm working that day! lol

I just wanted to get a different view... but I think if like I was going somewhere professional and I slightly knew someone there and they contacted me to hang out or whatever I might be a bit weirded out. And I don't want her to get weirded out and then her and her family find a different clinic to go to... that would be really bad.

(she is just a client btw).

If you really really want to go to this thing with the girl and your dogs, then you could even put a note on her file so that if she comes in, and you're not working, you can still get the message to her and that is essentially (I would think) equivalent to you approaching her at the clinic.

Having said that, I was in a situation where I was contacted by hospital staff (not via FB!) for 'social reasons'.... we are now dating lol.

as a business owner, I personally would have a problem with an employee befriending a client. There are many reasons for this as your relationship good or bad could potentially affect the business. I have my employees sign something when they are hired and they are fully aware that socializing with clients is not permitted. However....if one of my employees were to socialize with a client AFTER they quit working for me this wouldnt be an issue. I would just ask if this is important enough for you to risk your job...if you are leaving soon then maybe just wait until after

As long as you're interested in contacting this person about pet-related stuff, I really don't see a problem with it, provided you get permission from the boss.

I think a phone call is fine. If you're more comfortable with FB, ok, but again, boss needs to be OK with that.

If this were for romantic or other non-pet/animal related motivations, yes, I'd be inclined to rule it as inappropriate.

One-time contact, reaching out, to ask, if boss is OK with it, is fine. If there's no response, I would drop the idea and move on.

I think it's a very cool idea. Dogs who enjoy playing together is a fun way to let off some doggie energy - combined with the related event - sounds like the client may appreciate the invite. If received well, it may create even more good-will for your employer and the veterinary clinic too.

I have my employees sign something when they are hired and they are fully aware that socializing with clients is not permitted.

Really? So like, don't recommend the clinic where you work to your friends and/or family? That seems a bit over the top, to be honest...

But at the clinic where I used to work, some clients were invited to social events with the clinic owners and staff quite frequently, so maybe I just have a weird perspective.

Really? So like, don't recommend the clinic where you work to your friends and/or family? That seems a bit over the top, to be honest...

But at the clinic where I used to work, some clients were invited to social events with the clinic owners and staff quite frequently, so maybe I just have a weird perspective.

I also think it has to do with the size of the clinic too... at the larger clinics it was all business, but the smaller ones I have worked at, clients were on a friend basis with some of the staff having interacted with them enough at the clinic.

So I see your perspective nyanko!

Well I ended up looking where she lives and it's not even that close to me so there's no point in asking about the dog park.

A few people at work told me just to call her and let her know about the Dachshund fest so I left a message on her machine yesterday just saying she might like to know about it and I was probably going too, but I didn't make it creepy saying like here's my number and call me so we can meet up lol. I just said I thought maybe her and her dog would like to go, but never hinted that we'd go together.

If someone knew about that event and I didn't I think I would appreciate a call letting me know, because it sounds like a fun thing.

So I'll leave it at that I guess, but I'm not going to keep calling her about it lol. Just a one time thing and she can do with it what she wants.

Well I ended up looking where she lives and it's not even that close to me so there's no point in asking about the dog park.

A few people at work told me just to call her and let her know about the Dachshund fest so I left a message on her machine yesterday just saying she might like to know about it and I was probably going too, but I didn't make it creepy saying like here's my number and call me so we can meet up lol. I just said I thought maybe her and her dog would like to go, but never hinted that we'd go together.

If someone knew about that event and I didn't I think I would appreciate a call letting me know, because it sounds like a fun thing.

So I'll leave it at that I guess, but I'm not going to keep calling her about it lol. Just a one time thing and she can do with it what she wants.

Sounds like you handled it well! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
2 of my best friends were clients at my clinic first, friends second. I am "Aunt Jamr0ckin" to the daughter of one. I don't think there is anything wrong with reaching out to a client that you have created a bond with, as long as you aren't creepy about it.

2 of my best friends were clients at my clinic first, friends second. I am "Aunt Jamr0ckin" to the daughter of one. I don't think there is anything wrong with reaching out to a client that you have created a bond with, as long as you aren't creepy about it.

I think OP is male. Male employee contacting female client is more likely to raise eyebrows than when both parties are female. It's not fair, but it seems to be the case.

The scenario here seems to be about making NEW friends - not about existing friends, especially when the invitation can be viewed as more than platonic.

OP is female. Seen her ta-tas myself. :love: :hungover:

K, that sounds more perverted that I intended it to. Uhm... lol. She's a girl.

Sometimes I facepalm myself.

I'll take that as a compliment! lol ;);)

as an update: I talked to her parents on Friday cuz we had an open house thing at work as an appreciation to all the clients, and they said she really wanted to go to it but she had to work. So I guess she appreciated the call to let her know about the event.

ohhh, I will facepalm myself with you. The whole thing honestly sounded to me like a guy who saw a cute girl and wanted to get to know her (with all its underlying implications), but clearly I was mistaken.

Dude, why would anyone really have a problem with a female employee contacting a female client about a dog event? :confused: Not directed towards the OP (because it's a legit question), but seriously now...

ohhh, I will facepalm myself with you. The whole thing honestly sounded to me like a guy who saw a cute girl and wanted to get to know her (with all its underlying implications), but clearly I was mistaken.

Dude, why would anyone really have a problem with a female employee contacting a female client about a dog event? :confused: Not directed towards the OP (because it's a legit question), but seriously now...

girls can hit on girls too :D
not saying that was the OP's intent...

girls can hit on girls too :D
not saying that was the OP's intent...
No, no, no... I'm happily engaged to a wonderful guy lol.

My original thought was that it doesn't hurt to make another friend (of the same sex) especially when we both share a love for Dachshunds! lol
Plus I think I mentioned before that I've only been in this city a little while and now that I'm not in school it's a little harder to meet people (since almost everyone in my program moved back home now)...but she doesn't even live that close to me anyways so yeah.... just let her know bout the Wienerfest!

I would wait until she comes in again.... a lot of us, as receptionists, get close to the clients on a more personal level- just talking a lot to them when they are waiting for their pets or doctors or what have you. I think it's fine to become friendly OUTSIDE of the clinic with clients, but I don't think I would use their contact information (even searching their name on FB) that you get from working at the clinic that they didn't give directly TO you....

just my two cents :)

hahaha! I know someone who went to Weinerfest! I wouldn't be able to handle that many daxies concentrated in one area!