Clerkship or shadow opportunities with RFDS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denali

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the RFDS offers shadowing or clerkship opportunities?

TIA,

Members don't see this ad.

denali said:
Anyone know if the RFDS offers shadowing or clerkship opportunities?

TIA,

I'm not sure about shadowing for pre-meds but they do offer elective placements, and some of their doctors also participate in the John Flynn Scheme. If you want to set up an elective with them you need to apply early, last I heard they fill up about 18 months - two years in advance.

PS:

For those who don't know, RFDS = Royal Flying Doctors Service. Some places in Australia are quite remote from medical care, the RFDS flies medical staff out to remote areas in emergencies and also operates regular clinics in some towns/large stations.

We had one girl in year 1 (UQ) do an elective with them, set up ~6mos ahead. But I'm pretty sure they give priority to Aussies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UWA and my uni offered 3 x 2-week options in 5th Year. I spent 2 weeks with RFDS, and while I was there, a Singaporian med student was doing a similar elective, I think for a couple of weeks too. It was great fun - good luck!

Hey all,

Thanks for the info. I've got a real interest in rural medicine, and a 4th yr RFDS elective sounds like a perfect opportunity. I'll be visiting Oz soon, so I'll do some legwork to find out more then. Thanks again.

There are other rural options available as well if you can't arrange the RFDS one. I did Rural Gen Surg at Alice Springs and highly recommend it; I've heard Peds and ID there was great as well.