Clearing the List Pros vs Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmebe

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is - do ppl think that it is more beneficial to have the goal of clearing the list coming into work? My thoughts are you probably get more volume and exposure at the cost of being exhausted and less educational time during and/or after work. In contrast, some programs don’t require you to clear the list, and I wonder in those programs how do residents set daily goals at work and how are responsibilities allocated?

Overall, on average, are there significant differences between graduates from the different training styles?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is - do ppl think that it is more beneficial to have the goal of clearing the list coming into work? My thoughts are you probably get more volume and exposure at the cost of being exhausted and less educational time during and/or after work. In contrast, some programs don’t require you to clear the list, and I wonder in those programs how do residents set daily goals at work and how are responsibilities allocated?

Overall, on average, are there significant differences between graduates from the different training styles?
You should come into the goal of being productive at a strong pace, whatever that means to you, and trust when you’re pushing yourself too hard. This assumes you have an appropriately calibrated gauge.

It’s like working out, push yourself so that you know you’re working and building yourself, but not so much you’re going to dread coming back the next time. This assumes though that your gauge for “too much” and “enough” are appropriately calibrated. A guy saying he can’t run anymore after barely pushing 130bpm isn’t appropriately calibrated.

That’s what you should be doing as a resident and as a physician. If you’re coming home bruised every day you may want to change gigs.

Reactions: 1 user
There is never an advantage in clearing the list when compared to not clearing the list.

If you are responsible for clearing the list, that can only mean they don't have enough staffing and are relying on the residents' help. While that is not a bad thing in and of itself, it does portend the possibility that the attendings may be placing education secondary at some point all for the sake of emptying the list.

Some say that it prepares you for private practice. But then my response to that would be "Doesn't being on call already help you do that anyway?"

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the point of volume all the time if you don't have time to process it

Their justification is that the volume is for you to get used to the pacing. Learning and processing is done at home.

Their justification is that the volume is for you to get used to the pacing. Learning and processing is done at home.
Ok, that's fine. How about:

what's the point of volume when you're not good at it and there is no time for your attendings to guide you through things

Clearing the list shouldn’t even be on residents’ radar. This is the attendings’ responsibility and it’s why they are amply paid. At my residency the only time “clearing the list” ever came up was overnight solo ER call, which I think is a good precursor to gaining some perspective as you start to fulfill an attending role.

Ok, that's fine. How about:

what's the point of volume when you're not good at it and there is no time for your attendings to guide you through things

Their response is:
Don't worry. You are getting better whether you realize it or not. You are becoming more knowledgeable. You won't notice it until the new junior residents start and they'll be asking you a lot of questions.

Also, look at the fellowship placements and look at how they are doing over there compared to their peers. You'll be way faster than your co-fellows and you will look like a superstar.

Clearing the list should be a secondary goal after being able to put out complete and accurate reports

But after you’ve mastered that step, the goal should absolutely be to clear the list