Cleaning your diagnostic lenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alesdu1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior resident and recently received my new set of lenses. i was wondering what people have found to be useful/best for cleaning your lenses.

Some of my attendings just use kleenex which seems like it would be a harsh, scratching material. The Volk website recommends just running under tap water with a mild detergent. Blogs for high end photographers use blown air, brushes, and cleaners with microcloth/lens paper.

On amazon, there are individually wrapped wipes but many (most of them) contain isopropyl alcohol which doesn't seem right.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a junior resident and recently received my new set of lenses. i was wondering what people have found to be useful/best for cleaning your lenses.

Some of my attendings just use kleenex which seems like it would be a harsh, scratching material. The Volk website recommends just running under tap water with a mild detergent. Blogs for high end photographers use blown air, brushes, and cleaners with microcloth/lens paper.

On amazon, there are individually wrapped wipes but many (most of them) contain isopropyl alcohol which doesn't seem right.
Go with what the manufacturer recommends.

I blow some fog on it with my mouth and wipe with lens paper. You could see where the oil marks are when u fog it up

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried this weekend washing them in my hands with Palmolive original dishwash, then drying the metal rims with a microfiber cloth and the lenses with lens paper and the result was beautiful-- crystal clear sparkling lenses without any streak marks. I think I'll carry a lens pen with me for those moments when I don't have time to wash it like in the ED but this method hopefully should preserve the antiglare coating. I'm just too nervous that any "optical cleaners" and/or rubbing with microfiber cloth will be detrimental.

Why the need to wash so regularly? I assumed if I'm seeing too much glare it's because of my beam width/brightness or the angle of my lens. They are only 3 weeks old and I don't smush my fingers all over them.

Any seasoned ophthalmologists to comment?