Class of 2023 Veterinary HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Started this thread for those applying to Vet School/HPSP this upcoming cycle. All questions welcome about application process or army questions. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Started this thread for those applying to Vet School/HPSP this upcoming cycle. All questions welcome about application process or army questions. Good luck!
Thank you for starting the thread.
My questions are

1: If I am not accepted to the HSPS can I still join the army? And will they reimburse my schooling?
2: If that were the case, do I apply for an army position in my first/second year (same as I would do for HSPS) or when I finish vet school?
3: I'll be 33 by the time I graduate. How much of a factor does age play in getting accepted? I understand the cut off for joining is 35.
4: For future students, would acceptance chances increase if prior work with the army were a factor? If so, any recommendations?
5: I assume the HSPS is a nationwide pot, estimatimation of applications versus acceptance?
6: My uncle is a Major (my reference letter) I have a 3.7 GPA, I've done a lot of overseas humanitarian work, I'm very physically fit, and have a bachelors in Animal Science. What can I do to make myself more competitive? Is there any summer or one-year program, or perhaps volunteer work? What are your recommendations?

Thank you for your time and answering these questions.

1- Yes you can still join once you finish vet school (you can apply during your last year of school). The army will pay up to 120K in student loan repayment for a veterinarian.
2- see 1!
3-Age does not have anything to do with acceptance as long as you are under 42 when applying
4-Yes, any experience with the army/government/military is a plus. VA, military working dogs, animal lab experience, food safety programs, research. Pretty much any experience that would be useful as a active duty veterinarian.
5-Yes HPSP is a nationwide program, typically we have 33 slots and around 100-140 applicants.
6-Letters of recommendation, personal statement are big. Any post grad work really helps. see the list on 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I am a c/o 2021 vet student. Unfortunately, my medical papers took 9 months to process for some strange reason (submitted 10/2017 and just received confirmation that I could move forward with MEPS in 7/2018). So, despite having the rest of my application completed, my LORs submitted, and everything else necessary, I missed the application deadline because I was unable to get in to MEPS prior to the deadline.

Of course, I was quite disappointed. To further my disappointment, my recruiter then mentioned that the 2-year and 1-year HPSP scholarships were being eliminated and that the Army would just be pulling people off of the prior year's 3-year waitlist. I also heard from a c/o 2022 student that the HPSP deadline has changed from January 2019 to September 2018.

I just wanted to check in to confirm that there is no way for me to apply for a 2-year scholarship at this point?

Thank you for your guidance.

Hi, I am a c/o 2023 hopeful, I just submitted my vet school applications last week. I've heard conflicting information on when to actually start the HPSP process...is it now or after I have received acceptance letters?

Hi, I am a c/o 2023 hopeful, I just submitted my vet school applications last week. I've heard conflicting information on when to actually start the HPSP process...is it now or after I have received acceptance letters?

You can start the process now, they just won't send the packet up for selection until you get a letter of acceptance.

Hi @Armyhealth, Would you be able to PM me the application or put me in contact with a recruiter in the NYC area? I have not recieved any acceptances just yet but, I would like to begin gathering the application material. Thank you

Sent from my VS995 using SDN mobile

Hi @Armyhealth, Would you be able to PM me the application or put me in contact with a recruiter in the NYC area? I have not recieved any acceptances just yet but, I would like to begin gathering the application material. Thank you

Sent from my VS995 using SDN mobile

I would love to, your profile is on private so I can't PM you! Could you PM me and I will get you started?

Hi @Armyhealth. I recently contacted an army recruiter who told me that you cannot apply until you are currently in your first year of vet school as you cannot get a scholarship for your first year only your last three. Is this true?

Last edited:
Hi @Armyhealth. I recently contacted an army recruiter who told me that you cannot apply until you are currently in your first year of vet school as you cannot get a scholarship for your first year only your last three. Is this true?

Yes, they changed the board date again. So you would want to start your application around the same time you start vet school now.

I was looking into the HPSP through the army. My local healthcare professions army office informed me that your application will reflect your first year vet school GPA so I believe you would start the application in your first year of vet school. The HPSP only pays for 3 years of your vet school education.

I was looking into the HPSP through the army. My local healthcare professions army office informed me that your application will reflect your first year vet school GPA so I believe you would start the application in your first year of vet school. The HPSP only pays for 3 years of your vet school education.

Yes the scholarship only covers 3 years of the program and can include the transcripts from your first semester of vet school. However not all vet schools release them on time to get it in the packet so it is not a requirement but just a recommendation. Usually they are only looking at your undergrad and what vet school you have been accepted into.

Yes the scholarship only covers 3 years of the program and can include the transcripts from your first semester of vet school. However not all vet schools release them on time to get it in the packet so it is not a requirement but just a recommendation. Usually they are only looking at your undergrad and what vet school you have been accepted into.
I am planning on going into the HPSP, could you help me get set up with an application packet or a recruiter in my area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on going into the HPSP, could you help me get set up with an application packet or a recruiter in my area?
I would also like help with this as well! (in the North East Kansas area)

I hadn't know about this program until seeing this thread, now I'm extremely intrigued. I looked into it a little within the past few hours and noticed that, if chosen for the program, you receive a monthly salary, housing stipend, and all of those funds. What is the monthly time commitment performing duties? Would it be similar to something like National Guard or Reserves where they do a few days per month?

I would also be interested in receiving more information on the overall application, like everyone else!

I've spoke with a few veterinarians about active duty commitment for the HPSP and I'm getting different stories...perhaps you can set the record straight. I know that the army states for 3 years of scholarship you are committed to 3 years of active duty, but I've had a few veterinarians (though second-hand accounts) state that individuals are on the hook for >12 years of commitment. Is there any truth to this?
Can you also briefly go over the roles of Army Veterinarians on active duty? From what I understand they generally care for service dogs, horses, complete animal inspections, food inspections, etc.

Another question, what does the preliminary interview entail?

I hadn't know about this program until seeing this thread, now I'm extremely intrigued. I looked into it a little within the past few hours and noticed that, if chosen for the program, you receive a monthly salary, housing stipend, and all of those funds. What is the monthly time commitment performing duties? Would it be similar to something like National Guard or Reserves where they do a few days per month?

I would also be interested in receiving more information on the overall application, like everyone else!

The HPSP is for an active duty commitment so after vet school you would be an active duty veterinarian for the army full time.

I've spoke with a few veterinarians about active duty commitment for the HPSP and I'm getting different stories...perhaps you can set the record straight. I know that the army states for 3 years of scholarship you are committed to 3 years of active duty, but I've had a few veterinarians (though second-hand accounts) state that individuals are on the hook for >12 years of commitment. Is there any truth to this?
Can you also briefly go over the roles of Army Veterinarians on active duty? From what I understand they generally care for service dogs, horses, complete animal inspections, food inspections, etc.

It is a 3 year payback commitment, however you do have a one year FYVGE (first year veterinary graduate education) that is a non-payback year. So really you are looking at a 4 year commitment. I am not sure how some are saying over 12 years, that is not true.

Primary roles include- treatment and physicals for military working dogs. Officer in charge of the food inspection team. Depending on where you are stationed you also can work at a clinic taking care of soldiers pets, surgery, as the vet in charge of the clinic you will have leadership and administrative duties as well as you would in any clinic.

It is a 3 year payback commitment, however you do have a one year FYVGE (first year veterinary graduate education) that is a non-payback year. So really you are looking at a 4 year commitment. I am not sure how some are saying over 12 years, that is not true.

Primary roles include- treatment and physicals for military working dogs. Officer in charge of the food inspection team. Depending on where you are stationed you also can work at a clinic taking care of soldiers pets, surgery, as the vet in charge of the clinic you will have leadership and administrative duties as well as you would in any clinic.

This is a good synopsis of the mission but there is a bit more nuance to it -- talking to a current officer (such as myself) would be a good idea to see if this career/lifestyle is a good fit for you before applying. Another poster mentioned $$$ during HPSP which is nice, but it comes with some strings attached to it. The 4 year figure is correct save for the fact that the total obligation is for 8 years (with the remaining 4 served as IRR time subject to recall to AD which is unlikely, but possible).

Reactions: 1 users

I'm a class of 2022 Vet Student, but didn't see a vet-specific HPSP thread for my class. I just found out that I made the OML. Do you have any information about how many applicants are on the OML and how many people they typically pull off of it?

Thank you!

I'm a class of 2022 Vet Student, but didn't see a vet-specific HPSP thread for my class. I just found out that I made the OML. Do you have any information about how many applicants are on the OML and how many people they typically pull off of it?

Thank you!
Same. Also I was told there are 33 on the list.

Last edited:
@Wbe @bwoll This was answered in a different thread
Not many get off the list for the 3 year because that means another person who was selected declined the scholarship (maybe 1 per year), they usually take a couple off the OML for the 2 year scholarship (1-3 per year).

You were told there was only 33 on the OML? My recruiter said there was 66 on the list.
Yep, mine said there were 106 (ish, I forget exactly) applicants and 33 were put on the list.

Yep, mine said there were 106 (ish, I forget exactly) applicants and 33 were put on the list.

Alright. My recruiter said the 106 applicants, there were 30 selected and then 66 on the OML. If there are only 33 on the OML then I feel much better

Alright. My recruiter said the 106 applicants, there were 30 selected and then 66 on the OML. If there are only 33 on the OML then I feel much better

Well, good for you! I still haven’t heard anything, yet. This is too dang stressful.

Here are the official numbers, I have the board results right in front of me. There were 33 selected for the scholarship and 73 were put on the OML. Everyone who applied who was not board selected was placed on the OML. So 106 total applications made it to the board.

@Armyhealth, Do you have our individual numeral placement on the OML? My recruiter said he just knew that I was on the OML not what position I am in on the list.

I called the closest AMEDD recruiter to me and they basically told me that I can't do anything until October. Should I just call you @Armyhealth to see what I can do? I have officially been accepted somewhere and would like to do whatever I can do right now so I can get everything done as soon as possible. I don't want there to be any hiccups at all in this process.

I called the closest AMEDD recruiter to me and they basically told me that I can't do anything until October. Should I just call you @Armyhealth to see what I can do? I have officially been accepted somewhere and would like to do whatever I can do right now so I can get everything done as soon as possible. I don't want there to be any hiccups at all in this process.

It is a little early to start now, October is too late. I would start around May before you start vet school so you still have time to get everything done you need. If you want I can actually get you assigned to a healthcare recruiter and put in the system so they don't forget about you. Just send me a private message.

PS- I just started a thread for your class group, feel free to jump in!

Hi @Armyhealth! Is it too late to apply to this program for C/O 2023? I received two acceptance letters and am interested in learning more. What are the first steps I should take? Contact a recruiter? Thank you!!

Hi @Armyhealth! Is it too late to apply to this program for C/O 2023? I received two acceptance letters and am interested in learning more. What are the first steps I should take? Contact a recruiter? Thank you!!

It is not too late for the Class of 2023 students. The class of 2022 students were just notified. Somehow these threads got mixed matched. The thread for your class is under the Class of 2024 HPSP scholarship.

It is not too late for the Class of 2023 students. The class of 2022 students were just notified. Somehow these threads got mixed matched. The thread for your class is under the Class of 2024 HPSP scholarship.

I guess I was slightly confused on this part too. If we are the incoming DVM/VMD (depending on university) class of 2023, wouldn't we be here in this thread and not the 2024 thread? Unless you are saying "Class of 2024 HPSP scholarship" in regards to those that would be finishing their FYGVE year in 2024. I guess it's just confusing how it is being set up.

I guess I was slightly confused on this part too. If we are the incoming DVM/VMD (depending on university) class of 2023, wouldn't we be here in this thread and not the 2024 thread? Unless you are saying "Class of 2024 HPSP scholarship" in regards to those that would be finishing their FYGVE year in 2024. I guess it's just confusing how it is being set up.

yeah, I do not know what happened. You guys should be on this thread but somehow to got all messed up and another thread was started.

Yes the first step is getting ahold of a healthcare recruiter. I can even help if you send me a private message.

I meant the graduating class of 2023 the next one is for the graduating class of 2024.

Hello, I was just accepted into veterinary school at Iowa State and have been wanting to join the HPSP program from the get go. I have been very confused about where to start and after talking to many recruiters was still very confused. I have a few contacts that were previous army veterinarians and really want to join the program and serve. How do I apply at this point? Is it already too late?

Hello, I was just accepted into veterinary school at Iowa State and have been wanting to join the HPSP program from the get go. I have been very confused about where to start and after talking to many recruiters was still very confused. I have a few contacts that were previous army veterinarians and really want to join the program and serve. How do I apply at this point? Is it already too late?

Sent you a private message with my contact info!

Hello,
I’ll be starting vet school this fall and I would love to get some more details about the program. Should I be looking for a recruiter near my school, or near where I am now?

Hi there,

I just started the application process with a recruiter. Can you explain what the training look like, especially Basic Officer Leadership Training. In addition, do students in the Vet Corp ever get deployed? Please PM me if that is more comfortable

Hello,
I’ll be starting vet school this fall and I would love to get some more details about the program. Should I be looking for a recruiter near my school, or near where I am now?
I don't think it really matters but from my personal experience, I'd recommend contacting your vet school and seeing who students normally work with. When I applied, I worked with a recruiter by my school, even though I was halfway across the country. They seemed to really know what they were doing, having done the process before. Recruiters from locations without vet schools may be less familiar with the process.

Hi there,

I just started the application process with a recruiter. Can you explain what the training look like, especially Basic Officer Leadership Training. In addition, do students in the Vet Corp ever get deployed? Please PM me if that is more comfortable
There are two trainings you are expected to attend during two separate summers in vet school. Unless your school goes through the summer, you will be required to do these trainings, regardless if you'd rather be doing externships. The direct commission course is a 4 week course with a combination of class work and physical training. The basic officers leadership course is a 6 week course. I'm admittedly less familiar with BOLC, but I'm pretty sure it's a similar concept to DCC (class work and physical training). Unfortunately the summer dates for DCC and BOLC overlap, so as a vet student you will be unable to take them back to back. DCC and BOLC are not nearly as rigorous as the basic training that enlisted soldiers go through. You should be in good physical shape before going, or it will be especially challenging though. You can look up the current physical requirements based on your age and gender here: https://usarmybasic.com/army-physical-fitness/apft-standards You need a minimum of 60 points in each category. However, the Army is set to roll out a new fitness test soon, Army Combat Fitness Test .

Yes, you absolutely can be deployed as an Army veterinarian. It is not likely right now, but who knows where we'll be five years from now. You will not be deployed as a vet student, even if we go to war. The Army would have you finish school before you can be deployed.

Hello,

It does not matter which location your recruiter is from. Just find one that knows that they were doing and has been doing it for awhile. The recruiter associated with my school had absolutely no idea what he was doing so I contacted the recruiter for my region and he was able to get me through the process as smoothly as possible. Start the process now though. It is a very long process and you want to make sure you are not rushed while you are doing it to avoid any mistakes. I started the whole process in April last year and it took me til the beginning of August to get everything submitted and approved.

In addition, do students in the Vet Corp ever get deployed? Please PM me if that is more comfortable

I know an HPSP recipient that is currently serving her active time that was placed in what she called a deployable unit and is currently deployed right now.

From how she described it to me you can be placed in a deployable unit but will typically do more non-clinical work like the public health and leadership side of the position rather than working in a clinic. This might not be indicative of all deployable units but it's how she described her current position to me.

As a question for everyone else: Can I do MEPS in a state other than where my recruiter is? For example, I will be in Washington over the summer and I want to get as much of the work done as possible, preferably including MEPS so I won't have to miss school. I was told by a recruiter in Washington that they don't think they can help me in risk of "poaching" a recruit from the Colorado AMEDD office (I will be attending CSU). This makes me think I need to start the process with the CO AMEDD office, but also, the recruiter in CO told me back in February that they won't start helping me until October. I'm kind of confused on which recruiter I should actually try working with.

I know an HPSP recipient that is currently serving her active time that was placed in what she called a deployable unit and is currently deployed right now.

From how she described it to me you can be placed in a deployable unit but will typically do more non-clinical work like the public health and leadership side of the position rather than working in a clinic. This might not be indicative of all deployable units but it's how she described her current position to me.

As a question for everyone else: Can I do MEPS in a state other than where my recruiter is? For example, I will be in Washington over the summer and I want to get as much of the work done as possible, preferably including MEPS so I won't have to miss school. I was told by a recruiter in Washington that they don't think they can help me in risk of "poaching" a recruit from the Colorado AMEDD office (I will be attending CSU). This makes me think I need to start the process with the CO AMEDD office, but also, the recruiter in CO told me back in February that they won't start helping me until October. I'm kind of confused on which recruiter I should actually try working with.
Yes. I did MEPS in Pennsylvania while my recruiter was in Florida. I had pretty much finished my entire application while in a different state from my recruiter.

Yes you can and do not wait til October! The application is due in beginning November if they keep the same deadline as last time (which the moved back from the original deadline of August). I did my MEPS in Florida and my recruiter was in New York. It is a bit more of a process on the recruiters part but it can be done