Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told the AF were selecting individuals before they got their acceptance letters this year. They fill up the slots for the class of 2020 and canceled the boards in march until further notice.
Regarding the 3 year or 4 year? Or both?

Members don't see this ad.

I was told for the 4-year but it could possibly be both.

I was told the AF were selecting individuals before they got their acceptance letters this year. They fill up the slots for the class of 2020 and canceled the boards in march until further notice.

@lanzo do you know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you don't need an acceptance from dental school before being offered the scholarship this year. The Air Force is doing it the same way the other branches were doing it now...

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you don't need an acceptance from dental school before being offered the scholarship this year. The Air Force is doing it the same way the other branches were doing it now...
But don't you need a DAT of 22 or greater for this??

So are there really no 3 year AF HPSP awards left already?

But don't you need a DAT of 22 or greater for this??

A Navy recruiter told me you need the 22 DAT to board without the acceptance letter. Not sure about other branches, but I have worked with the Army and they said nothing about boarding early this way.

A Navy recruiter told me you need the 22 DAT to board without the acceptance letter. Not sure about other branches, but I have worked with the Army and they said nothing about boarding early this way.

Army u need 19 DAT and 3.5+ GPA for early consideration (no acceptance letter is needed) for october board before this year, however, this year you need the same but the first review board is in December, at that time, if you meet the requirement above, you can still be boarded and reviewed without an acceptance letter.

Army u need 19 DAT and 3.5+ GPA for early consideration (no acceptance letter is needed) for october board before this year, however, this year you need the same but the first review board is in December, at that time, if you meet the requirement above, you can still be boarded and reviewed without an acceptance letter.
Oh okay great. Well hopefully by December I'll have an acceptance letter!!

Members don't see this ad :)

For what it's worth, one of my friends has already received an Air Force scholarship for the class of 2020. He will sign the forms as soon as he gets accepted into dental school. I do not know if all slots have been assigned yet though.

Not true. You either need A) a 22 or higher DAT to get board reviewed prior to a letter of acceptance (Navy) or B) for the Army, you can have a 19+ DAT but need something like a 3.5 or better GPA or something like that in order to boarded before having a letter of acceptance. Otherwise, without either A or B satisfied, you're stuck boarding in Dec/Jan with the rest of us (assuming you get a letter of acceptance in early December - and, I think the cutoff for the Navy board is December 1st, so you'd need your letter of acceptance by that day in order to get board reviewed in December <-- that's what my recruiter told me, anyway).

Does anybody have specific board dates for the Navy for December as well as for the Army in December? How about January board dates for those that don't make a December board?

I just did MEPS two weeks ago - it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. It wasn't as interrogative as I had built it up to be. It was certainly a long, boring, ****ty day, but you can guarantee that uniformly. Just got my medical green light last night, no waivers.

Not true. You either need A) a 22 or higher DAT to get board reviewed prior to a letter of acceptance (Navy) or B) for the Army, you can have a 19+ DAT but need something like a 3.5 or better GPA or something like that in order to boarded before having a letter of acceptance. Otherwise, without either A or B satisfied, you're stuck boarding in Dec/Jan with the rest of us (assuming you get a letter of acceptance in early December - and, I think the cutoff for the Navy board is December 1st, so you'd need your letter of acceptance by that day in order to get board reviewed in December <-- that's what my recruiter told me, anyway).

Does anybody have specific board dates for the Navy for December as well as for the Army in December? How about January board dates for those that don't make a December board?

I just did MEPS two weeks ago - it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be. It wasn't as interrogative as I had built it up to be. It was certainly a long, boring, ****ty day, but you can guarantee that uniformly. Just got my medical green light last night, no waivers.

army first board ever (even for early decision) is dec 19th. idk about board date in January since I met the early decision's requirement for army. I was told letter of acceptance is not required if u meet the early decision's requirement.

My recruiter just told me that there is only one board for the army hpsp. Apparently they have all the ppl from last year that were on the waitlist the 3yr ones..

The only thing consistency about these information about boards and the selection process is that you can count on it to be inconsistent.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol that's exactly what I'm gathering... I don't think anyone really had a clue.

Just heard from my Navy recruiter that deadline for packet submission to be considered for the December board is Nov. 25; in other words, unless you meet the Navy's requirement for early board (22+ DAT), then you won't board until January (since the earliest you can get a dental school acceptance is Dec. 1 - 5 days after the cutoff).

As for Army, I also heard that they aren't doing early boards and that the first board would be in December. Not sure if they still have that same Nov. 25 cutoff or not, though.

My recruiter just told me that there is only one board for the army hpsp. Apparently they have all the ppl from last year that were on the waitlist the 3yr ones..

i dont think one board is enough to handle all the applicants. you are sure this is 4 year?? the army HPSP has a very active 3 year (most applicants were waitlist for 4 year the previous year) that may only need one board

Just heard from my Navy recruiter that deadline for packet submission to be considered for the December board is Nov. 25; in other words, unless you meet the Navy's requirement for early board (22+ DAT), then you won't board until January (since the earliest you can get a dental school acceptance is Dec. 1 - 5 days after the cutoff).

As for Army, I also heard that they aren't doing early boards and that the first board would be in December. Not sure if they still have that same Nov. 25 cutoff or not, though.

Not sure I could get all my stuff done in 20 days. The interviews will be the only thing that could hold me back I believe. Guess I'll try my best.

My recruiter just informed me that the Army board has been moved to January 26th...
..............I am BEYOND frustrated.......................

guess Army only has 1 board after all UGH.

Last edited:
Yepp, that's what I was told too

Do you know the # of scholarships the Army will give out this year? and few thread back you said Jan 26th will be the only board this year for Army? no feb or march? how about 3 year?

My recruiter told me all the 3yr scholarships were given to those ppl that got put on the waitlist from last year's applications. So apparently he said there will only be 1 board for the 4 yrs. That's pretty much all I know. He wants me to have all my stuff in by thanksgiving.

okay cool. Yes, my recruiter told me the same too (apparently if you dont get the 4 year scholarship, and you get put on the waitlist, you will get the 3 year scholarship next year).

Anyways, I choose the Army because i was told it had the earliest board. Now it turns out it has the latest board. I guess karma eats me raw.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah that's good news if you get on the waitlist then! Lol but yeah I am just eager to get my stuff done and board up so I can find out if I got it.

Do you know the # of scholarships the Army will give out this year? and few thread back you said Jan 26th will be the only board this year for Army? no feb or march? how about 3 year?
Our mutual recruiter told me there about 60-70 four year scholarships for this one board on January 26th. If they don't get enough applicants to fill those slots, they will create more boards. Regardless, he is convinced we have nothing to worry about.

Yeah that's good news if you get on the waitlist then! Lol but yeah I am just eager to get my stuff done and board up so I can find out if I got it.

tell me about eager to get stuff done, i got my stuff done back in August.

Our mutual recruiter told me there about 60-70 four year scholarships for this one board on January 26th. If they don't get enough applicants to fill those slots, they will create more boards. Regardless, he is convinced we have nothing to worry about.

LOL, yes we have EVERYTHING to worry about. LOL

who wants to bet with me the Army will move their board to February, then March, then May, then July until we are officially in dental school LOL

okay cool. Yes, my recruiter told me the same too (apparently if you dont get the 4 year scholarship, and you get put on the waitlist, you will get the 3 year scholarship next year).

Anyways, I choose the Army because i was told it had the earliest board. Now it turns out it has the latest board. I guess karma eats me raw.
When you go to boards, few things happen
1. acceptance
2. get on order of merit list (as it implies, ranked waitlist)
3. rejection

When the board convenes for three year, they look at the people on the OML and people who submitted new kit (this year, they shut down new submission). They look at their resources for that year and decide how many scholarships they want to give out.

When you go to boards, few things happen
1. acceptance
2. get on order of merit list (as it implies, ranked waitlist)
3. rejection

When the board convenes for three year, they look at the people on the OML and people who submitted new kit (this year, they shut down new submission). They look at their resources for that year and decide how many scholarships they want to give out.

if you dont get 4 year, do you have to do anything to update your application for 3 year? and how long you have to wait for 3 year scholarship or is it an automatic thing?

do you think the army will shut down new submission for new apps soon? like for 3 year?

if you dont get 4 year, do you have to do anything to update your application for 3 year?
probably

and how long you have to wait for 3 year scholarship or is it an automatic thing?
about end of first semester of their first year in dental school. it might even be the same board as the 4 year scholarships for c/o 2020

do you think the army will shut down new submission for new apps soon? like for 3 year?
idk i am not a recruiter.
i just know they werent accepting application from first year dental students for the board held to review 3 year scholarships for c/o 2019

on the side notes, there is no Navy board yet? how come I don't see anyone posting any acceptances to Navy.

on the side notes, there is no Navy board yet? how come I don't see anyone posting any acceptances to Navy.
The Navy boards have been ongoing the first of every month since October. But yes, that's weird that we haven't heard anything from applicants in the other branches yet.

Must be no one wants to live on a boat for 6 months lol

I am still waiting to hear back. I submitted my application for the November board.

Do you know if that board includes 3 year applications? I'm a D1 and finishing my kit now for the Navy. I wonder how many 3 year scholarships they give out.
I'm pretty sure the board is for anyone that has submitted a packet. So I think it should include 3yrs as wells.... But don't quote me on that.

I wish there were some concrete statistics for the percentage of people who apply and actually receive the scholarship. Anyone?

They don't release any stats.. It's basically based on your recruiter and what they tell you..

Is the recent news affecting anyone decision to enter the armed forces?

No, I'll be working on teeth.

Is the recent news affecting anyone decision to enter the armed forces?

I believe that we may see an increase in military deployment lengths, but no, this is not affecting my decision to apply for the HPSP, and if accepted, to take the scholarship and become a military dentist.

Reactions: 1 users