Class of 2020 - HPSP Scholarship Applicants (Navy/Army/Air Force)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no cuz of our same location so that makes sense. Yes, Hoefer is awesome. Very nice guy. So you are the "other" dental applicant thats boarding he's telling me about LOL.

hope we hear smth good in Oct and nov time.
Yes, he has been very helpful and dedicated throughout the whole process. Hahaha yep, that's me lol! :p
I hope so too, now we wait...

Members don't see this ad.

If you are not ready to board right on October 1st can you still submit your application during October?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you pass MEPS for the Navy, do you have to redo the physical for the army?

army recruiter just told me for EARLY acceptance (aka 19+ DAT and 3.6+ GPA) can be submitted in Oct but won't be reviewed until Dec 19th.

I am very disappointed.

anyone has similar experience, please share!!

army recruiter just told me for EARLY acceptance (aka 19+ DAT and 3.6+ GPA) can be submitted in Oct but won't be reviewed until Dec 19th.

I am very disappointed.

anyone has similar experience, please share!!
Since you and I have the same recruiter, I just heard this news yesterday too. I'm not fully sure what this means, but they said it doesn't really hurt our chances of receiving a scholarship. However, it doesn't benefit us for having our packets in early unfortunately.

If you pass MEPS for the Navy, do you have to redo the physical for the army?
No, your army recruiter should be able to get his/her hands on your medical paperwork from MEPS. Just know that your army recruiter will become aware that you are applying for the Navy HPSP, and vice versa. Most of the time they will have you commit to one branch before proceeding with the application. At least that is what happened with me and all the people I know applying for HPSP.

Since you and I have the same recruiter, I just heard this news yesterday too. I'm not fully sure what this means, but they said it doesn't really hurt our chances of receiving a scholarship. However, it doesn't benefit us for having our packets in early unfortunately.

wait, I thought when they review it in Dec, they will go in the order of submission, aka applications that are submitted earlier get reviewed first? correct?

wait, I thought when they review it in Dec, they will go in the order of submission, aka applications that are submitted earlier get reviewed first? correct?
They only go in order in the sense that Dec board applicants will be reviewed before Jan board applicants. If they are reviewing oct,november,dec board applicants in the same board, then they are being reviewed together. Unless you think that doesn't make sense

They only go in order in the sense that Dec board applicants will be reviewed before Jan board applicants. If they are reviewing oct,november,dec board applicants in the same board, then they are being reviewed together. Unless you think that doesn't make sense

that makes sense thank you. sigh. I am so disappointed the army didn't do things like last year. But anyways, what I can do now except waiting.

are you applying to hpsp too? wat branch?

Can the navy still give you an early acceptance?
Only if you have a 22+ AA. If not, you can't go up for review until you have a dental school acceptance letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know. I finished and boarded up my application today. Good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Been really quiet in here. Not many applying this year?

I just started considering applying- when does it become "too late" to apply?
Depending on the branch you are looking into, I don't think you're "too late". It's getting a little late for Air Force because of how competitive it is, but I believe if you can get going quickly with the application process, you will be okay for Navy and Army.

Has anyone that boarded in October heard from the navy?

Last edited:
So I have had my MEPS cancelled twice already, so now I am waiting until next week to hear back from my recruiter. anyone else experience this??

So I have had my MEPS cancelled twice already, so now I am waiting until next week to hear back from my recruiter. anyone else experience this??

hello there,

according to what I know, your recruiter has full authority to schedule u (an AMEDD applicant) into the system 72 hours (3 days) ahead of time. there is no reason the MEPS is cancelled for u unless the recruiter wants so specifically (wait for background checks and other stuff to be done)

I heard each MEPS for each applicant cost on average 300-500$. sending an applicant thru meps just to find out other stuff disqualify is a waste of money (so I heard). Though my recruiter scheduled my MEPS 1 week after I met him.

u wont go thru MEPS with just AMEDD applicants but will also with the enlisting people. they basically have MEPS every single day at where I live in CA

good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Also from Cali,

The first cancellation was because they messed up my paperwork, the second one was because apparently now fridays are reserved for girls doing MEPS. They promised me a date next week, so I am just hoping it goes through. Any advice other than bringing a book? Also if I have a bit of a sore throat on the day of MEPS would that be a problem?

and good luck to you too!

Last edited:
Also from Cali,

The first cancellation was because they messed up my paperwork, the second one was because apparently now fridays are reserved for girls doing MEPS. They promised me a date next week, so I am just hoping it goes through. Any advice other than bringing a book? Also if I have a bit of a sore throat on the day of MEPS would that be a problem?

and good luck to you too!
I brought a book but I didn't read a single page of it. There was so much going on that I didn't have time to do anything else haha! As for the sore throat, there is no way they will know as long as it doesn't affect your voice. Not that it matters.

Good luck!

I brought a book, but they wouldn't even let me take it in. Was a drag just sitting there, but of course you can converse with some of the others there.

My MEPS was just cleared and I should be sent to the first boards soon! :)

If you do army and navy would you have to do a MEPS medical examination screening for both or would one work for both??

If you do army and navy would you have to do a MEPS medical examination screening for both or would one work for both??

One works for both. I was anxious because the Army was furious when he heard I was thinking about the Navy as well. But my new Navy recruiter said he has paperwork that gets sent to MEPS and the Army won't even know about it.

Dang okay awesome. Cuz I def don't wanna do another one of those lol

Does anyone know if the Navy HPSP has already had an October board? Also, when will the next board be?

Was it that bad?
Just long and stupid.. Lol and your there with mostly enlisted ppl straight outta high school. Takes forever with what could be done on like 1.5hrs.

Reactions: 2 users
Navy has already had the first board. The next board is sometime in the first week of November from what I understand. My recruiter already sent my application off for the next board

Navy has already had the first board. The next board is sometime in the first week of November from what I understand. My recruiter already sent my application off for the next board
For the Navy, were you required to have an interview before your application was sent for the next board? How did that interview process go? Thanks!

Dang man, this sucks so bad. My recruiter went MIA for 2 months. I left countless voicemails, texts, e-mails. Even called other recruiters in his station to try to help me get ahold of him and none helped. Finally got lucky with a new recruiter that just came to the station that got me in touch with another Navy Officer healthcare recruiter. I guess at least I am moving forward in the process now, but hearing that I will probably be in the third board makes me anxious all over again

Finally had my MEPS and I passed! Now I am waiting for the lab results and then I am in the clear, anyone how many business days those take?

Finally had my MEPS and I passed! Now I am waiting for the lab results and then I am in the clear, anyone how many business days those take?
Not sure how long if you don't need any waivers, but I needed a waiver and I did mine on Aug 30th. they still haven't got back to me.. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Not sure how long if you don't need any waivers, but I needed a waiver and I did mine on Aug 30th. they still haven't got back to me.. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

my recruiter used to tell me it takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on the types of waivers u need.

my waiver got approved within 2 weeks. just myopia nearsighted waiver.

my recruiter used to tell me it takes anywhere from 3-6 weeks depending on the types of waivers u need.

Hmmm, okay mine is for high freq hearing loss. So hopefully it's all good..

I did not need any waivers, would you happen to know how it would be then?

I did not need any waivers, would you happen to know how it would be then?

then you are good to go. you are done with MEPS and now it is up to your recruiter to complete the application. probably another 2-3 weeks depending on how eager he/she wants to do it.

For the Navy, were you required to have an interview before your application was sent for the next board? How did that interview process go? Thanks!
Yes I did have to have an interview. My recruiter scheduled it the same day as my physical, but the dentist had to cancel. He called me latter that week and we had a phone interview. I sent him a resume, CV, personal statements and why I wanted the HPSP.

As far as waivers go, I had to get one for my high blood pressure. If you are proactive and insist you want to jump on the scholarship to board up they will expedite the process. My waiver took 3 days to approve. I would just be vocal about your desire to get the process completed. It worked for me at least.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello there,

So I am very interested in applying for a Navy scholarship. I started talking to a recruiter in August. We were working on my application, but then in September he stopped responding to my e-mails. I tried to contact him multiple times with no luck so I therefore decided to contact a different Navy recruiter. Again, we started working on my application, but the communication is not very regular. I am worried that I am missing the timeline for application despite trying to be proactive about the whole process. Has this happened to anyone? Is e-mail not the best form of communication to stay in touch with a recruiter? I don't want to constantly annoy the recruiter with constant e-mails, but at the same time I am trying to expedite this as much as possible. Just a bit frustrated....Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello there,

So I am very interested in applying for a Navy scholarship. I started talking to a recruiter in August. We were working on my application, but then in September he stopped responding to my e-mails. I tried to contact him multiple times with no luck so I therefore decided to contact a different Navy recruiter. Again, we started working on my application, but the communication is not very regular. I am worried that I am missing the timeline for application despite trying to be proactive about the whole process. Has this happened to anyone? Is e-mail not the best form of communication to stay in touch with a recruiter? I don't want to constantly annoy the recruiter with constant e-mails, but at the same time I am trying to expedite this as much as possible. Just a bit frustrated....Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

you should have had your recruiter's phone number the first time you met so calling is the best way to go.

some recruiters are just bad. are you interested in the Army? or just the navy? try to look for another recruiter I think.

Hello,

I am applying for the Air Force scholarship. However, I just got told recently by my recuriter that the AF 4-year scholarship slots for the class of 2020 is filled up, can anyone else confirm this?

Hello,

I am applying for the Air Force scholarship. However, I just got told recently by my recuriter that the AF 4-year scholarship slots for the class of 2020 is filled up, can anyone else confirm this?

Wow, that is crazy. I did hear from another student that his friend received the scholarship, but I honestly didn't believe him.

Hello there,

Same thing happened to me. Old recruiter lost all of my documents too so I have to start brand new now. At least my army app is completed already.

Hello,

Considering that the boards for that scholarship isn't until March 2016 I don't exactly know what he could be referring to. They don't cap how many people can apply for the scholarship, they want a competitive application pool -- better applicants for them ultimately. My recruiter told me that the AF scholarship application process doesn't even start until Nov/Dec and everything needs to be completed by mid Feb... and then they grant acceptances in March.

Yeah AF hasn't even started... Army in December and Naby had boards every month.

I was told the AF were selecting individuals before they got their acceptance letters this year. They fill up the slots for the class of 2020 and canceled the boards in march until further notice.