Class of 2016....how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread up for the c/o 2016! Has everyone found housing yet? When do you guys start classes? What are you taking 1st semester? SOOOO EXCITED FOR AUGUST!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This scares me. It's not time yet. I NEED A BREAK. I NEED SUMMER BREAK.:eek::scared:

But, anyways, MSU's 1st semester courses are:

-Animal science (probably won't be taking this because I have a degree in animal science)
-Microbiology+Immunology:love:
-Neurology
-Anatomy (small animal) :scared::scared::scared:
-Histology
-Ethics
-Clinical Competencies :shrug:

Classes start the last week of August.

I hope the summer flies by - all I want to do is start vet school!

We made an offer on a house and they accepted - we have the inspection next week.

Classes start Aug 22 (Wednesday) and I'll be taking:

- Anatomy I
- Microscopic Anatomy I
- Physiology I
- Immunology
- Bacteriology/Mycology
- Clinical Correlations & Ethics
- Physical Diagnosis
- Application Based Learning Exercise I

Members don't see this ad :)
Oregon State doesn't start until September 26th, I believe! I just took my last final, so I've got a looooooong summer ahead of me :laugh:

It's also on the quarter system, which I'm not used to. So instead of having a fall/spring semester we'll go from Sept - Dec, Jan - March, March-June. My first quarter is:

Professional Orientation
Gross Anatomy
Microscopic Anatomy
Physiology
Intro to Animal Care
Veterinary Integrated Problem Solving

I can't wait to start! :love:

Geeze Kanderson, when will you get out for summer break?

I am really looking forward to orientation week. I love that stuff! Though everyone that I have talked to say it's awful. Do you guys have an orientation?
Schedule:

Research and Methods
Veterinary Immunology
Foundations of Veterinary Medicine
Functional Anatomy
Organ Systems: Anatomy & Physiology
Principles of Diagnostic Imaging

Geeze Kanderson, when will you get out for summer break?

I graduate tomorrow. So, 4 1/2 month summer it is! But don't worry, when you all get out for summer break next year I'll still be toiling for another month probably, so I'll get what's coming to me! :p

I forgot to mention: Oregon State also has an orientation! I think everyone does, though, right? I'm also really excited for it. But then, I love cheesy "getting to know you" activities :) I don't exactly know what all's involved yet, but I do know it culminates with the white coat ceremony.

I forgot to mention: Oregon State also has an orientation! I think everyone does, though, right? I'm also really excited for it. But then, I love cheesy "getting to know you" activities :) I don't exactly know what all's involved yet, but I do know it culminates with the white coat ceremony.
I was assuming that everybody had one. Ours is several days including overnight stays, which seems a little intense. I know rope courses are also involved. Sounds fun!

Ohio State CVM starts August 22nd as well. I can't wait and the time is already flying by now that we are fully into rehab season!

I am not sure what our first semester classes are since OSU is switching from quarters to semesters. I know we have anatomy and histology but not sure about what else.

Ohio State CVM starts August 22nd as well. I can't wait and the time is already flying by now that we are fully into rehab season!

I am not sure what our first semester classes are since OSU is switching from quarters to semesters. I know we have anatomy and histology but not sure about what else.

Here's our first semester classes, Squirrels:

(20 credits)
Veterinary Preventative Medicine 1: Introduction to Epidemiology and Population Systems

Gross Anatomy 1 (Dog, Cat, Pig)

Introduction to Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology

Comparative Structure and Function of Tissues

Structure and Function of Cells

Professional Development 1

Clinical Pathology

Introduction to Animal Behavior

I haven't been on SDN too much lately but thought I'd join in!! I'm super excited for August :love:.

We start August 15 (Orientation).. classes don't start until August 20th.

Classes (from the website.. we haven't been registered yet)
Gross Anatomy 1
Microscopic Anatomy 1
Clinical Correlates
Professional Development
Veterinary Immunology
Physiology 1

(20 credits)
Veterinary Preventative Medicine 1: Introduction to Epidemiology and Population Systems

Clinical Pathology

Thanks, where'd you find that?

Thanks, where'd you find that?

2 places: it's in our Why Ohio State booklet that we got at interviews, and it's also on the mycvm page under semester conversion links. Let me know if you can't find it ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
duh, should have checked the why OSU packet, I remember reading it in there now that you mention it.

(20 credits)

Clinical Pathology

Thanks for posting NStarz! I was talking to one of the current first years a while ago and she said that Clin Path used to be a 2nd year class, but with the semester change it became a first year class. So the class will be taught to one class and teleconferenced to the other. Eeep!

Thanks for posting NStarz! I was talking to one of the current first years a while ago and she said that Clin Path used to be a 2nd year class, but with the semester change it became a first year class. So the class will be taught to one class and teleconferenced to the other. Eeep!

That's really strange to have Clin Path before physiology... let me know how that goes, I'm curious. :)

I hope we're not the class that gets teleconferenced :( That would make me sad.

We have our orientation/team-building August 12-15th at the Lake of the Ozarks. :)

Classes start August 20th. In our first two blocks, we take:
Cell Bio
Physiology
Anatomy
Micro Anatomy

She said it would most likely be the 2nd years, and not us. :xf:

Oh good. I don't think they would teleconference the 1st years--too much stress. Haha. Welcome to vet school: here's a computer screen that will act as your professor.

Oh good. I don't think they would teleconference the 1st years--too much stress. Haha. Welcome to vet school: here's a computer screen that will act as your professor.
I would be super freaked out if that happened.

Also, I do not believe that there is a "physiology" course at OSU CVM. Everything is systems based learning, so I guess basic physiology gets taught in combination with the systems.

We start orientation August 2nd!!! And classes start August 8th! I'm SO excited, slightly nervous, but so pumped to begin vet school :)

I hope we don't get teleconfrenced, but if we do it isn't that bad. I had a class at a smaller branch of the community college I went to that was teleconfrenced from the main school and I was the only one that signed up for it at the smaller school, talk about weird :eek:. I always got a chuckle because the professor would say good morning Madison branch instead of just saying goodmorning to me :laugh:. Hopefully they'll teleconfrence the second years though, because they're at least used to everything there. And if we do get teleconfrenced I hope it isn't our first class, that would freak me out! It will be weird taking a class that the second years are also taking, they're gonna know so much more than us! We'll have something we can study with our big sibs though :laugh:

We start orientation August 2nd!!! And classes start August 8th! I'm SO excited, slightly nervous, but so pumped to begin vet school :)

Only 90 more days for you, that is super exciting! Have you found a place to live and when are you moving?

I've found an apartment and move August 1st :). Can't wait and hope we plan lots of get togethers in Columbus before orientation.

Illinois starts August 27th. It doesn't really clarify whether that is orientation or classes, but I think it's referring to classes since it's rather late into the month.

Since we now have the new curriculum, we're on a quarter system, so during our first 8 weeks we have Clinical Practice I where we actually get to rotate through a variety of clinics and do online learning modules and learn medical terms first.

The remaining 8 weeks we take
Gross Anatomy I
Veterinary Histology
Neurobiology
Physiology I

I'm getting so excited!!! Just need to find a place to live now.

Only 90 more days for you, that is super exciting! Have you found a place to live and when are you moving?

I've found an apartment and move August 1st :). Can't wait and hope we plan lots of get togethers in Columbus before orientation.

Ah I know, its so close! I'm moving sometime in June/July! My parents and I are in the process of buying a house :scared: so since Raleigh is only 30 minutes from me I haven't really decided when I want to start hauling all my junk! My last day of work is in one month, so probably sometime after that!

I hope our class does some fun get togethers this summer too!!! Yay for moving for school!!!

Ah I know, its so close! I'm moving sometime in June/July! My parents and I are in the process of buying a house :scared: so since Raleigh is only 30 minutes from me I haven't really decided when I want to start hauling all my junk! My last day of work is in one month, so probably sometime after that!

I hope our class does some fun get togethers this summer too!!! Yay for moving for school!!!

I'm waiting for the campus cinema to post their summer schedule, but I'll definitely be trying to put together some sort of fun get-togethers before orientation!

I'm so jealous of everyone starting in September, argh! Wish we started later on.

I am trying to not think about everything I still have to do.
The GEP at edinburgh starts on august 6th. It is coming up so quickly. I still need to get my passport, my student visa, my plane ticket, decide if I am staying on campus for the first 5 weeks or trying to find my own flat, then I need to get everything together to get my cat over.

The GEP at edinburgh starts on august 6th. It is coming up so quickly. I still need to get my passport, my student visa, my plane ticket, decide if I am staying on campus for the first 5 weeks or trying to find my own flat, then I need to get everything together to get my cat over.

Wow. That's so early for a UK school. Usually your first week of classes isn't until the last week of September but I guess they're starting you early since you have more to cram in this year. If you're not required to pay for the whole term of student housing, living on campus for 5 weeks might be a good idea since it might be a little less stressful and you can then get a better idea of where you might want to live in Edinburgh. Wishing you the best of luck in getting everything ready and let me know if you have any questions on things to pack, etc. I love helping out with anything UK related. And I'm still sad that I won't be going back :(

I'm waiting for the campus cinema to post their summer schedule, but I'll definitely be trying to put together some sort of fun get-togethers before orientation!

I'm so jealous of everyone starting in September, argh! Wish we started later on.

But just think how happy you'll be when we're done with finals before thanksgiving!!! AND fall break :)

I'm getting so excited!!! Just need to find a place to live now.

Me too!!

I am having panic attacks at night just thinking about all the things I have to do between now and then! I think at Illinois we have team building the week before we begin classes, so the week before August 27th. I am super excited, but at the same time having slight fears of being inadequate... anyone else having those feelings?

Wow, DVM and I am stressing about moving to Champaign :eek:
One thing I have learned, from military moves about animal transportation, is that it is best to do it in fall/winter months. Many airlines won't fly animals after it gets a certain temperature and then your pet is stranded at the airport. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Me too!!

I am having panic attacks at night just thinking about all the things I have to do between now and then! I think at Illinois we have team building the week before we begin classes, so the week before August 27th. I am super excited, but at the same time having slight fears of being inadequate... anyone else having those feelings?

Do you know where you're living yet??? I believe someone told me a lot of our class seems to be living in Savoy. I kind of like the Village apartments in that area but still kind of want to visit again to check the areas out. I think I'm coming for a visit over Memorial Day weekend since I have off and my mom is done working.

I still can't believe how early our orientation starts. It's only two months after I get married. I graduate undergrad next Saturday (only one final on Tuesday). Then I move back home to get ready for the wedding. Then I've got a week of relaxing before the honeymoon, then I have another week back home before I move. Our scheduled move in date is July 6th. I'm so happy we found a 2 bed/2.5 bath townhome so close to the school for not too much.

I am super excited, but at the same time having slight fears of being inadequate... anyone else having those feelings?

Yep. I think it's normal. I wish I knew what to tell you to make those fears go away.... but I don't. I'm here for moral support though!

I feel the same way, BB. It's like sometimes I've so super excited and other times I've so terrified that I will fail out and need to work at McDonalds for the rest of my life.

I was assuming that everybody had one. Ours is several days including overnight stays, which seems a little intense. I know rope courses are also involved. Sounds fun!

ROPES COURSES? What the heck. I know all about team building exercises...but really?! For an orientation?? Crazy stuff!!

Here's our schedule at LSU for the Fall:

Intro to Vet Med
Principles of Problem Solving
Diagnostic Imaging
Biochemistry, Nutrition, and Gastrointestinal Physiology
Veterinary Physiology I
Basic and Applied Anatomy I
Cell Biology and Histology
Histology and Developmental Anatomy

Our orientation is August 10-15th. Our Coating Ceremony (eek!) is on August 15th.... and classes start on the 16th! :D:D

I feel the same way, BB. It's like sometimes I've so super excited and other times I've so terrified that I will fail out and need to work at McDonalds for the rest of my life.

FYI - the feeling never goes away :D

Aahh me too! It's like bipolar excitement/fear for what's coming. Currently I'm in the "manic" of THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING!

Wow, DVM and I am stressing about moving to Champaign :eek:
One thing I have learned, from military moves about animal transportation, is that it is best to do it in fall/winter months. Many airlines won't fly animals after it gets a certain temperature and then your pet is stranded at the airport. Just a thought to keep in mind.

Thanks, bb. I will be sure to check with the airline then before I try to travel with her. I really want her there when I move in but if it isn't possible then I will find a way to get her over at a later time.

I am so nervous about vet school/moving I haven't even hit the excited phase yet. I hope I start to get excited once I have everything planned out and I am not worrying about all the things that need to be done and what could go wrong between now and then.

I am super excited, but at the same time having slight fears of being inadequate... anyone else having those feelings?

I also have those feelings. I just have to breathe and remind myself that everyone else probably feels that way, too!

Do you know where you're living yet??? I believe someone told me a lot of our class seems to be living in Savoy. I kind of like the Village apartments in that area but still kind of want to visit again to check the areas out. I think I'm coming for a visit over Memorial Day weekend since I have off and my mom is done working.

No, I haven't looked, and I don't know where I am living :oops: I was thinking Savoy too. I heard its a quieter community. I am hoping to make it up there soon after I graduate.

Well I am glad the feeling is mutual, however, I wish there was a cure. I haven't really been able to sleep good at night lately. :(

ROPES COURSES? What the heck. I know all about team building exercises...but really?! For an orientation??

So does Davis. :) It isn't mandatory, though.

I think it's normal to have freak out moments where you're like :eek: I am actually starting vet school in a few months, just don't let it become the only thought you have. For me I'm excited and confident about 90% of the time and 10% of the time I get that :eek: feeling, mostly mine is about moving out, but a little that I'll be behind where everyone else since my experience is mostly wildlife rehab. I think I'm better prepared to be handed an emergency situation and deal with it than most of my classmates will be, especially a puppy or kitten (I was shocked at how little people knew about puppies and kittens at the emergency clinic, the one vet actually told me I knew way more than them and could I go in and talk to the client :eek:) because I can tube feed, place a catheter (both urinary and IV), and from all my experience with sickly wildlife, I can get a pretty good feel for what needs to be done. My issue is why I'm doing that and all the tests to confirm that you're doing the right thing. Also, all the common diseases among domestics I am not too familiar with.

I think it's normal to have freak out moments where you're like :eek: I am actually starting vet school in a few months, just don't let it become the only thought you have. For me I'm excited and confident about 90% of the time and 10% of the time I get that :eek: feeling, mostly mine is about moving out, but a little that I'll be behind where everyone else since my experience is mostly wildlife rehab. I think I'm better prepared to be handed an emergency situation and deal with it than most of my classmates will be, especially a puppy or kitten (I was shocked at how little people knew about puppies and kittens at the emergency clinic, the one vet actually told me I knew way more than them and could I go in and talk to the client :eek:) because I can tube feed, place a catheter (both urinary and IV), and from all my experience with sickly wildlife, I can get a pretty good feel for what needs to be done. My issue is why I'm doing that and all the tests to confirm that you're doing the right thing. Also, all the common diseases among domestics I am not too familiar with.

Impressive Squirrels! I think we all have strengths and weaknesses. I have had limited emergency experience, but I can explain cell signaling processes like the back of my hand. I think that's the benefit of having such diverse classes is that everyone can (and will, hopefully?) help each other :idea:

I *think* this is our schedule for this fall! Yikes :scared:

Careers in Veterinary Medicine
Veterinary Anatomy I
Veterinary Physiology I
Histology and Cytology
Introduction to Clinical Problem Solving in Veterinary Practice
Veterinary Pathogenic Bacteriology and Mycology
Health Maintenance and Animal Production I

oh god.

Since we now have the new curriculum, we're on a quarter system, so during our first 8 weeks we have Clinical Practice I where we actually get to rotate through a variety of clinics and do online learning modules and learn medical terms first.

This sounds so cool!!! What a fun way to dive into vet school!