Class of 2015 (Application cycle 2010-2011)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I'm applying this cycle as well and I am excited but so nervous as well. I hope that all of us get the dream school we are after.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, sorry for the probably overasked question but I've been in hibernation studying for the mcat and haven't been able to follow the forum for a while. I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for so I'm asking here.

How many DO schools require a letter of rec from a DO in order to apply? I have plenty (~8) of the usual stuff - mentors, professors, etc - but haven't been able to find a DO that's willing to let me shadow them in my area (LA/Redondo Beach). Also if you know can you also tell me of a good way to find one (ie if theres a website or something). I've just been searching through faculty of nearby hospitals and it hasn't worked out too well so far.

Hey guys, sorry for the probably overasked question but I've been in hibernation studying for the mcat and haven't been able to follow the forum for a while. I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for so I'm asking here.

How many DO schools require a letter of rec from a DO in order to apply? I have plenty (~8) of the usual stuff - mentors, professors, etc - but haven't been able to find a DO that's willing to let me shadow them in my area (LA/Redondo Beach). Also if you know can you also tell me of a good way to find one (ie if theres a website or something). I've just been searching through faculty of nearby hospitals and it hasn't worked out too well so far.

I got this from Chocolate's links.....:)

Hey!

I have a question about transcripts...can we send our official transcripts to AACOMAS now? Or do we have to wait until the application online opens up?

Thanks!

I used this site to find my D.O. and she is awesome! You just put in the zip code/city and it'll bring up a list. Some numbers weren't working but most are. Good luck!

http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

Hey guys, quick question.

I plan on retaking a physics class that I got a C- in, this summer. I want to avoid taking it at my university to save some money, so I think I may sign up for a similar class at a local CC. Will AACOMAS replace that class, or do I have to take it at my University?

edit:

The university class:
https://summer.uci.edu/courses/sectiondetail.aspx?serialid=47150&session=S2

The CC class:
http://www1.socccd.cc.ca.us/eservices/ClassDetail.asp?sectionID=61060&termid=20102

An answer would be appreciated :D

Thanks

Try emailing one of the counselors over at Western U.

I'm currently shadowing a DO that I was put into contact with thanks to WUCOMP :thumbup:

I can tell ur a lazy person already, find out yourself! Can't handle UCI's rigor?? well good luck trying to get into IVC this summer, classes like physics I/II gets filled out real damn fast! not to mention you are not even a full time student there...

Hey guys, quick question.

I plan on retaking a physics class that I got a C- in, this summer. I want to avoid taking it at my university to save some money, so I think I may sign up for a similar class at a local CC. Will AACOMAS replace that class, or do I have to take it at my University?

edit:

The university class:
https://summer.uci.edu/courses/sectiondetail.aspx?serialid=47150&session=S2

The CC class:
http://www1.socccd.cc.ca.us/eservices/ClassDetail.asp?sectionID=61060&termid=20102

I can tell ur a lazy person already, find out yourself! Can't handle UCI's rigor?? well good luck trying to get into IVC this summer, classes like physics I/II gets filled out real damn fast! not to mention you are not even a full time student there...

Lazy? I've already emailed AACOMAS and a couple schools, but I thought getting some advice from SDN couldn't hurt.

Can't handle UCI's rigor? Don't make me laugh, I graduated from UCI with my B.S. in bio. I would just like to pay $26 per unit instead of $286. But thanks for you input :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
things are usually pretty kosher on the pre-osteo forum

LOL wow

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into exploring one of these options..

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into exploring one of these options..

Dont forget to keep in mind that the negative feedback on SDN usually comes from people who are upset with life because they either know they dont have much of a chance at medicine or they got rejected already. Dont give up hope:) be positive:thumbup:

If I retake organic chem 1 and 2 during the school year, how would I list that on the application?

If I retake organic chem 1 and 2 during the school year, how would I list that on the application?

I think you could list it as "Repeat/To be completed" I was fooling around with the course work list and remember seeing that option on the application. :luck:

hello folks

I wanted to know if you would put down shadowing and research experiences as extracurriculars?

Also, I am getting research for the entire summer. 40 hrs/wk for 4 months. Should i put that on the app when it opens up or wait till secondaries come in and let the schools know that this is what i have been doing for the summer.

thanks in advance peeps :)

hello folks

I wanted to know if you would put down shadowing and research experiences as extracurriculars?

Also, I am getting research for the entire summer. 40 hrs/wk for 4 months. Should i put that on the app when it opens up or wait till secondaries come in and let the schools know that this is what i have been doing for the summer.

hopefully, someone who has been through process can answer this question. Jagger? CB? elftown? anyone?

hello folks

Absolutely; put your shadowing and research down in Extracurriculars. Although, if you haven't yet done your research yet, I wouldn't put it down. In other words, in the summer, if you're submitting your application while you're doing your research project, put it down. If you're submitting your application before your research project, don't put it down.

Absolutely; put your shadowing and research down in Extracurriculars. Although, if you haven't yet done your research yet, I wouldn't put it down. In other words, in the summer, if you're submitting your application while you're doing your research project, put it down. If you're submitting your application before your research project, don't put it down.

thanks for the reply. I'll be doing the research while submitting the app so I might as well put it down.

So vcom-south carolina will matriculate its first class in 2011. I'd like to apply to both but i was reading the CIB and it said otherwise

"Applicants should first select Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine on the AACOMAS application. Then, a drop down box will appear
and applicants may apply to either the VCOM Virginia Campus or VCOM-Carolinas Campus. Applicants who select VCOM–VC will not be able to submit an AACOMAS application to the VCOM–CC. However, applicants will be eligible for review on both campuses."

So can we only apply into one or the other but not both; or does this mean that you'll only choose to apply to one but your app will be considered at both places????

Hi All,
I'm applying this cycle too. Taking the MCAT 6/17. Looking forward to keeping eachother's spirits up through this process! :)

Last edited:
Lazy? I've already emailed AACOMAS and a couple schools, but I thought getting some advice from SDN couldn't hurt.

Can't handle UCI's rigor? Don't make me laugh, I graduated from UCI with my B.S. in bio. I would just like to pay $26 per unit instead of $286. But thanks for you input :rolleyes:
Don't listen to that jerk, man. I don't see the problem. If it's the same material (which it is) and the same amount of classes (which it is) I think you're good to go.

So vcom-south carolina will matriculate its first class in 2011. I'd like to apply to both but i was reading the CIB and it said otherwise

"Applicants should first select Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine on the AACOMAS application. Then, a drop down box will appear
and applicants may apply to either the VCOM Virginia Campus or VCOM-Carolinas Campus. Applicants who select VCOM–VC will not be able to submit an AACOMAS application to the VCOM–CC. However, applicants will be eligible for review on both campuses."

So can we only apply into one or the other but not both; or does this mean that you'll only choose to apply to one but your app will be considered at both places????
whattttttttt? i don't like that.

whattttttttt? i don't like that.

me neither man. I've been really impressed with vcom from what i have seen and would love to go there. Being a canadian my chances are pretty low but there is no harm in trying. that school looks awesome but this application policy is :boom:

i would go to either campus, but would much rather go to the VA campus.

Hey!

I have a question about transcripts...can we send our official transcripts to AACOMAS now? Or do we have to wait until the application online opens up?

I would not until they open up in May or June.

Cool, thanks :)

I want to let you know that retaking the class at CC is not going to impress the admission committee. Since you already took it at the UCI (i know how rigorous curriculum is in UCI...crazy many pre-med students...weeding out students... blah blah), I think it will be better to take it at the UCI even though the you have to pay more tuition fee. YOu do not want to make the admission commitee think that you could not handle the course @ UCI.

I think the best way is to call the admission advisors @ med schools you want to attend and ask their opinions on it. People on SDN can be helpful but you do not want to make a decision based on it alone. Most advisors are friendly so don't hesitate and give them a call.

G'luck

what are we supposed to do???? i love the virginia campus, but the newer one i might have like a 0.1% better chance of getting in if its newer right?? maybe? noooo!!!!

Hey Guys just a point of advice... Most of the time it really matters when you get your applications in... the earlier the better, you'll have better chances the earlier its in. That goes for the secondaries as well, as soon as they have a complete file they will begin reviewing, but not before your file is complete, you want them to offer you an interview earlier rather than later, or you might get wait-listed. This goes for every Medical School...

I used this site to find my D.O. and she is awesome! You just put in the zip code/city and it'll bring up a list. Some numbers weren't working but most are. Good luck!

http://www.osteopathic.org/directory.cfm

So you just contacted them and told them you were interested in DO and wanted to set up a meeting/shadow? Because I am having trouble finding a DO to shadow as well.

So you just contacted them and told them you were interested in DO and wanted to set up a meeting/shadow? Because I am having trouble finding a DO to shadow as well.
I had the same problem last year. If there is an osteopathic med school around your area, call their alumni office and see if they can hook you up with one of their own.

I had the same problem last year. If there is an osteopathic med school around your area, call their alumni office and see if they can hook you up with one of their own.

WOW! You just saved my life, turns out the osteopathic medical school in my town has a mentoring program through their alumni office. Thank you!!!

Exactly. It wasn't too hard there was one doc who had no idea why I wanted to shadow him haha (talk about an awkward conversation!)

Someone in another thread also posted another website to find D.O. mentor, I'll see if I can find it around here.

:luck:

I will also be applying this cycle. Good to have a group to suffer with.

I want to let you know that retaking the class at CC is not going to impress the admission committee. Since you already took it at the UCI (i know how rigorous curriculum is in UCI...crazy many pre-med students...weeding out students... blah blah), I think it will be better to take it at the UCI even though the you have to pay more tuition fee. YOu do not want to make the admission commitee think that you could not handle the course @ UCI.

I think the best way is to call the admission advisors @ med schools you want to attend and ask their opinions on it. People on SDN can be helpful but you do not want to make a decision based on it alone. Most advisors are friendly so don't hesitate and give them a call.

G'luck

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

I've received a response from a few admissions counselors and so far they're all saying that they're perfectly fine with me taking the class at a CC, and that I won't be at a disadvantage for not taking it at UCI. :)

OMG this is IT. This is the point of NO RETURN! haha
I'm taking my MCAT on May 1st so... it's about to get CRAZYYYYYY these next few months!

Good luck everyone; it's nice to know there's a place/ thread to vent. :laugh:

I got a C+/B- in Organic Chem 1 and 2, and I know I can do better so I am retaking them. However, should I retake them in the summer while I am also working 40 hrs/wk, or should I just retake them in the fall and spring? What would be the better idea as I apply? Will they put my application on hold until they get the new grades?

Also, I'm taking the MCAT on May 27, but if I had to retake it after finding out my score, I wouldn't be able to retake until July, which means I'd get a score in August. Would that be too late at that point? I know getting the application and materials out early is super important to the process.

Hey Everyone,

I look forward to competing against you all for admission. Good Luck!

NPH

I got a C+/B- in Organic Chem 1 and 2, and I know I can do better so I am retaking them. However, should I retake them in the summer while I am also working 40 hrs/wk, or should I just retake them in the fall and spring? What would be the better idea as I apply? Will they put my application on hold until they get the new grades?

Also, I'm taking the MCAT on May 27, but if I had to retake it after finding out my score, I wouldn't be able to retake until July, which means I'd get a score in August. Would that be too late at that point? I know getting the application and materials out early is super important to the process.
1. Do whatever you think will get you a better grade in those classes. For something as vital as those two classes, you want to do as well as you can in them. (not sure what they do about the grades)

2. I didn't submit my application until the very last day of July, yet I still received two invites in Oct. and offers of acceptance weeks later. August isn't "late" per se; my rule of thumb would be May-July is early, August-Nov. is normal, anything after is late (feel free to take this with a pinch of salt). The point is, I don't think freaking out about hitting the "early" period is fruitful. Make your app as strong as you can before submitting it, even if it means waiting for August to submit.