All Branch Topic (ABT) Class of 2014 Military Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any info on how the AF Peds match went this year? Im an AF HPSP MS-1 interested in Peds and I heard the competitiveness of this field varies greatly from year to year. Thanks!

An AF classmate of mine matched to his first choice peds program, but that's just an anecdote. If you were army I'd say wait for the GME slideshow to come out. I don't think they release analogous statistics for AF.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to find out if certain spots went unfilled in the air force match?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if psych or family med filled all their spots. Do those typically get filled in the AF?

I dont know about psych but FM tends to be popular in the AF and have significantly more applicants than spots. I know several people who applied FM this year and were civ deferred for a pgy1 spot
Wow. I would not have expected that.

Did anyone who matched in the Army get that acknowledgement letter that we were supposed to get via snail mail yet?

Did anyone who matched in the Army get that acknowledgement letter that we were supposed to get via snail mail yet?
from who? i got one from the PD today saying "woohoo!! congrats!! way to go!! here is some contact info and other stuff that will be coming your way, etc" is there another one thats supposed to be coming?

My acknowledgment letter from the Army came via email today.

Hmm, not sure if you are trying to tell me I didnt just receive a separate email from Norman with a 3 page Selection Letter and Acknowledgment Form Due Feb 17?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, not sure if you are trying to tell me I didnt just receive a separate email from Norman with a 3 page Selection Letter and Acknowledgment Form Due Feb 17?

My mistake. I thought you were just talking about the report date email that explicitly mentioned we'd be receiving something in the mail.

Last edited:
Did anyone/know of anyone who matched straight through EM in Navy?

I'm basically resigning myself to a GMO tour, but I'm wondering if there's any chance..

Three intern classmates of mine (USN) matched straight through one year at the same location; how that happened I have no idea. I would still say it's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

Wow. Bet that doesn't happen often.

Thanks

Wow. Bet that doesn't happen often.

Thanks
The rumor mill says that EM is trying to switch their training model from transitional year -> GMO -> EM residency to EM Intern year -> straight through Residency. I don't know if that is more or less true than the average military rumor.

The rumor mill says that EM is trying to switch their training model from transitional year -> GMO -> EM residency to EM Intern year -> straight through Residency. I don't know if that is more or less true than the average military rumor.

upload_2014-2-10_7-27-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-2-10_7-27-10.png
    upload_2014-2-10_7-27-10.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if any DO's matched in the Navy EM residencies?

Three intern classmates of mine (USN) matched straight through one year at the same location; how that happened I have no idea. I would still say it's unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

Actually, all 4 EM interns at Portsmouth matched straight through. My sources ("souvenirs, novelties, parrrty tricks...") tell me two elected to go the GMO route. The same thing did NOT happen at San Diego. That's what happens when the Navy lets the Army be in charge, I guess....

FWIW, the Navy is taking 6 EM interns next year at each site with the goal of 8-10 per year from 2015 onward. I would say if you want to go straight through, apply to Portsmouth because their PD is Army. Traditionally, SD has been favored by GME2+ applicants by about a 60/40 ratio.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, all 4 EM interns at Portsmouth matched straight through. My sources ("souvenirs, novelties, parrrty tricks...") tell me two elected to go the GMO route. The same thing did NOT happen at San Diego. That's what happens when the Navy lets the Army be in charge, I guess....

FWIW, the Navy is taking 6 EM interns next year at each site with the goal of 8-10 per year from 2015 onward. I would say if you want to go straight through, apply to Portsmouth because their PD is Army. Traditionally, SD has been favored by GME2+ applicants by about a 60/40 ratio.

Quality information, thank you.

Thanks for the info!! Would you happen to know anything similar about other specialties too?

Somebody had previously enquired about match results for the AF. I'm not sure if this document is what they are looking for or if it's useful in any way. I got it as an email from AFIT about the JSGME.

P.S.
There's a key at the bottom to help interpret what all the acronyms mean for locations and whatnot.

Somebody had previously enquired about match results for the AF. I'm not sure if this document is what they are looking for or if it's useful in any way. I got it as an email from AFIT about the JSGME.

These are not match results. The AF has stated that it will never release those numbers publicly. The document you posted lists the available number of spots at each location, which is somewhat useful info, but tells nothing about the competitiveness of the different specialties.

These are not match results. The AF has stated that it will never release those numbers publicly. The document you posted lists the available number of spots at each location, which is somewhat useful info, but tells nothing about the competitiveness of the different specialties.
True enough, but at the very least you can see how many spots they have open and where.

True enough, but at the very least you can see how many spots they have open and where.

But that's not quite reality either as the services fluctuate the numbers quite frequently so don't use it as hard and fast numbers, but it gives a general overview.

First off, Congrats to everyone who matched!

I was wondering, if you don't match and fall through to a pgy1 internship, are you GUARANTEED a chance to reapply the following year? Or can you be pushed into gmo/fs land without a second chance?

And if so, can you apply for any categorical spot? Or just pgy2 spots?

Thanks.

Ps-I'm USAF HPSP.

I was wondering, if you don't match and fall through to a pgy1 internship, are you GUARANTEED a chance to reapply the following year?

You can reapply,* but that doesn't mean that you'll get it.

Or can you be pushed into gmo/fs land without a second chance?

*However, in 2008 the AF did come out with a policy that required all non-matched applicants to enter FS.

And if so, can you apply for any categorical spot? Or just pgy2 spots?

Apply for whatever you want.

You can reapply,* but that doesn't mean that you'll get it.

*However, in 2008 the AF did come out with a policy that required all non-matched applicants to enter FS.

Apply for whatever you want.

Thank you sir

I don't plan to do such but I've had a few non military people ask me a hypothetical and I'm curious--
For those given TY deferment, what if they went ahead with the civilian match and matched into a program of their desired specialty? How would the military handle that situation?

I wouldn't do this without a civilian lawyer and your area defense council already being on-board. This is deadly serious -- they can throw your ass in military jail and have already done so. There is case law that preceeds you on this one... Failure to go, AWOL, dereliction...

In all honesty, you'd prob end up getting the boot and be on the line for ALL of the money plus interest plus the interest on the (private) new loans you'd need to pay the gov't. You'd also possibly (not likely) get a discharge other than honorable which will mess with your employability.

These aren't options they will tell you about. And it isn't for the faint of heart.

The feds own you (or the other person) contractually. It wouldn't be easy at all to break that contract nor should it be.

I just wanted to comment here that as a person that has matched TY year (non select) Army and destined for GMO most likely, the Army/AF seems to certainly pay more attention to other things apart from the regular board scores, interview, research etc. All of these things are important, but the younger you are, I have noticed a trend that the less likely you are to match into a competitive residency. If you are under 27, single, and applied for Derm, Ophtho, Rads, or Anesthesia and aren't the supremely stellar applicant, but had your stuff together, the Army/AF will chose the equally qualified 29+ year old applicant who is married and has kids. I'm not saying this for sure, but amongst the applicants that I know who were middle of the road applicants for all of these specialties, and only applied for military residencies, we all got nonselect TY year. This may be an retention strategy, or something else at play- just my observation.

An APD here. We specifically cannot choose based on age sex race etc.

this is army specific. the email is as follows:

"All,

Due to the fact that several students scheduled interviews based on a document noting a release date of 11 December 2013, we will send out emails at 12:00 pm, EST today to those students (five total) who did not match to Army programs and will be deferred to civilian programs. If you do not receive an email, it means that you matched to an Army program and will not have to go through the national match. It does not necessarily mean that you matched to your specialty of choice as some will have matched to a transitional year program. It does mean that you can cancel any scheduled interviews with civilian programs. The complete match results will be released at midnight, the morning of 18 December 2013. To access your results, log onto the Medical Education website, go to the FYGME section and the results will be under the Match tab."

Where do you find that email? Should I have had received the text above?