Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in the same boat as vihsadas. I'm even requesting my new lors in april, signed and sealed and back to my possession, so that I can turn around secondaries COMPLETE days after I get them. I'm being totally proactive this year.
mcat: will improve in april
GPA: up from 3.71 (and 4 of my sciences) to 3. 86+ (have one more trimester and two more grades to add in there) and a full year of sciences, including all prereqs
experience: community science (school volunteering), more shadowing hrs, starting at hospital volunteering/tech job in april/may.
check my mdapps for the rest of my stats.

I'm very excited about June 1 this year! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
First time applicant, MCAT already done, will be submitting June 1st. I even started my MDApps :)

I have a question: How long should you allow for schools to process the AMCAS transcript request form?

I'm applying in early June as well.

Good luck everyone!!!

wow. I've been haunting these forums since the start of the last cycle. It's crazy that it will soon be our turn :). Good luck all around

I'm applying too!!! Hopefully, I'll get the MCAT over with on May 10th and sending my stuff first week of June!...hopefully, while I'm in a summer research program [crosses fingers]

Just giving a bump.

Yo guys...

I'm also gonna be in the Class of 2013....except..uh...I already got accepted lol. I applied through this early assurance where I don't have to take the MCAT. But anyways good luck to everyone applying and hopefully you all get into your top choices!

what % of applicants apply as early as june and july? i would assume not that high and that a rush comes in like august/september maybe?

Do not wait!!! There is a rush in August/September, but as a result, those people are not verified until September/October. Applying early gets you faster processing times, which means earlier secondary application submission. And as a further caution, DO NOT WAIT TO GET THE RESULT OF THE MCAT TO SUBMIT YOUR AMCAS APPLICATION!!!

Or else you will end up like me, all MCATed up but nowhere to go (yet).

I'm also 2013.
Thankfully I already have the MCAT out of the way and I'm just going to coast through this semester.

Is it sad that I really want the AMCAS (and TMSDAS) app to open??? My personal statement is in a weird phase where I am in love with it, but I have yet to let anyone look at it because my last attempt was rejected for being too narrow in focus by one of my advisors... Haha.

Oh yeah and my semester is much easier than normal so I have taken to surfing this site since I don't know what to do with myself. I guess taking P Chem and BioChem together makes anything else seem like literally a walk in the park.

Good Luck to you guys that need to take the MCAT still! My recommendation is just take it. Putting it off is more stressful to you than it's worth. You will be ready despite thinking that you will never be ready. Admittedly I got so bored with MCAT studying that the two weeks before the MCAT I studied probably a total of like 8 hours and just watched a lot of TV and read books (yeah I'm a great role-model) but somehow it didn't seem to really hurt my MCAT, you can check my MDApps.

2013 here...taking the beast april 18th. Hope to have AMCAS in order by may 12th so I can just hit submit the day that it's due since i'll be in europe may 13th through july 8th. Hopefully I'll have a draft of my PS done by the end of this month so I can begin having it reviewed/revised and I need to start getting my LORs in order as well. So much to do so little time. Good with the semester and such, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot from each other in the coming months ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Another 2013 hopeful here. Already filling out my AMCAS and taking the May 10 MCAT. Where are people planning on applying? I'll start things off...............

U. of Miami
U. of Florida
Medical College of Georgia (instate)
Emory (instate)
Mercer (instate)
Vanderbilt
George Washington
UPenn
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
UCLA
U. of Washington

Peace, Love, and Recycle -
Alex

You can probably leave out U. of Florida, UCLA, and UCSF unless you're easily breaking the 35+ barrier on your practice tests. Those schools show no love to out of state applicants.

Hi everyone, thanks for starting this thread. I am taking the MCAT July 18. A little later than I would like, but I want to have time to study after the spring semester ends. Of course I will have the AMCAS all filled out by May 2...my first choice is USUHS....don't know where else I'm applying yet. I've been reading this board and am addicted to it. It's weird to think that in another 8 months or so we will be the ones stressing about which interview date, etc. we have...

I get more and more excited as each day passes.

I'm taking the June 13th MCAT now to make sure I'm prepared enough. Planning on turning in my primary the first day possible, so hopefully I'm only delayed a week, if at all.

You can probably leave out U. of Florida, UCLA, and UCSF unless you're easily breaking the 35+ barrier on your practice tests. Those schools show no love to out of state applicants.

Seeing as cuba is also planning to apply to Harvard, UPenn and Hopkins he better be hoping for a 35+... Or be an awesome person!!!

I'm applying to Harvard, UPenn, Hopkins, UCSF (OOS), Wash U, etc... but I do already have my MCAT done with (potentially the best decision I ever made).

its almost hheeerrreee!!!!!!!!!!!
so exciting... hopefully we will all get great results this cycle... luck to all =)

I am looking forward to this. This is my second time applying but a lot changed so we will see. I have been praying that I get accepted to Howard for 3 years now so Lord willing, this will be my time to shine! God bless.

I was just looking at the list of schools that I'm applying to and realized that I definitely need to include more "safety" schools. As of right now, the list is................

U. of Miami
U. of Florida
Emory (instate)
Mercer (instate)
Vanderbilt
George Washington
UPenn
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
UCLA
U. of Washington

If anyone would look at my MDapplicants profile and maybe suggest some good schools to add I would be most appreciative. Take care.

Alex

me too! its my favorite part of the job! it'll be great, I've been with these doctors several times. endo/surg this am and clinic this afternoon. :)

I am taking my MCAT May 31st and applying just as soon as I can! Here is to hoping '13 is a lucky number for all of us! Wahooo!

God, my shadowing experience was AMAZING as usual. I'm really leaning towards pediatric GI these days...

In other news, another 4.0 trimester in the bag. VERY excited. My GPA is up from 3.71 to 3.92 for this new application cycle.

Back to MCAT studying. 64 days, and I'm determined to do well this time.

I was planning on doing Kaplan and taking the 7/18 MCAT. I've decided to study on my own and do the 6/13 MCAT instead. 4 months and counting...

I was just looking at the list of schools that I'm applying to and realized that I definitely need to include more "safety" schools. As of right now, the list is................

U. of Miami
U. of Florida
Emory (instate)
Mercer (instate)
Vanderbilt
George Washington
UPenn
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UCSF
UCLA
U. of Washington

If anyone would look at my MDapplicants profile and maybe suggest some good schools to add I would be most appreciative. Take care.

Alex

Hey, if you wanna aim high, don't forget to give some love to the chicago schools. We got Northwestern AND University of Chicago here, don't ya know?

Is there any such thing as a "safety" medical school? lol

Wassup everybody, that time is getting closer! God bless.

Howdy all. Will be applying this year as well. I'm a reapplicant in the middle of completing a post-bac. Everything has gone well since I last applied two years ago, let's just hope it makes enough of a difference to get me in somewhere. I've already made an MDapps as a way to keep track of the schools I'm considering applying to, so take a look if you please. Cheers

God, my shadowing experience was AMAZING as usual. I'm really leaning towards pediatric GI these days...

In other news, another 4.0 trimester in the bag. VERY excited. My GPA is up from 3.71 to 3.92 for this new application cycle.

Peds GI is pretty cool- I did Crohns and Colitis camp and learned some much last summer! This summer I think I am going to juvenile diabetes camp (type 1).

I want to do Peds Hem/Onc! I did 65 hours in that field and LOVED it!

thanks for sharing the news! if you think you are excited, you should see me right now! i'm VERY VERY excited.

anybody here planning on applying before MCAT score is released? i'm taking it at the end of May, but I don't want to wait to submit AMCAS stuff until end of june when the scores come out.

whats the consensus on applying with an MCAT score on the way?

future... I have peds hem/onc on my top two list as well :)

I applied last cycle before my second mcat scores were in, but I was disappointed with my score. its not awful... but ill be glad to get my scores back before htting submit this time :)

Class of 2013, here I come! I've been browsing these forums for the past 2 years, and now I'm finally close to applying. Sweet....

That would be great REL! Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

That would be great REL! Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

As you noted the time to begin to construct your application is near. AMCAS should open up sometime in the third week of May. As soon as you get your AMCAS ID, have original copies of all college transcripts sent to AMCAS so that when you complete your AMCAS app and SUBMIT, then they can begin to verify your application. They advertise that it will take 4-6 weeks to complete the verification process --- but it cant start until they have all of your transcripts.

What can you do before AMCAS opens?
1. Work with your premed advising office to ensure that you are on track to build a LOR package. If your school does a premed committee letter, that is great, often that takes the place of faculty letters and is really more desired than a packet of individual letters if available. If your school does not do premed committee letters, often the office will help to coordinate your package and provide instructions on how to get the package submitted. Most med programs will ask for 3 faculty letters, or 1 premed committee letter package, AND 2 character/peer letters. It is important that you get to your authors and ensure that they write letters (which you cant see) that include some substance, more than grades and "was present for class every day." It would be good to have some sentences which address "who" you were in class; how you worked with others, etc.
2. MCAT by the end of July
3. Remember that the interview season is Sep-March. Meeting a Nov 15 or Dec 1 deadline really means that you are late. Why? Because if you complete by Dec 1 you have already missed possible interview opportunities in Sep-Dec. Your app, completed by the deadline, really makes you available for interview Jan-Mar ---- and of course everyone has a completed app by then. Unless you have a primo app, your chances will be much less than a completed app in the Sep-Dec pool with less applicants in the sea.

So let's look at a SAMPLE general timeline:
- Begin AMCAS end May
- Submit AMCAS June 15
- AMCAS verified July 15
- Supplemental App (each program has one) complete July 30
- MCAT score available July 30
- School reviews complete package by Aug 15. (Makes decision to absolutely interview, possibly interview, do not interview)
- School begins pool review to create interview groups early Sep. (Often offering a date 2-3 weeks later)
- In the best case, you are in the absolutely interview. School offers you interview for initial interview group in 3rd or 4th weeks of Sep.
- School Admissions Committee meets 10 days after interview and tells you of decision. ((**AMCAS traffic rule says that programs cannot offer acceptances or tell you your acceptance status until Oct 15 at the earliest.))

Imagine where an applicant would be if they applied the above to those apps that met the Dec 1 deadline.

The above DOES NOT fit every school process, but I do believe it to be generally accurate for most programs. Hope it helps.

Hey Class of 2013!

MCAT (aka DDay) May 31st, finger on the button for June 1st, who's with me??

I'm just ready to be done with pre-reqs and start my life in med school already...I hate being a pre-med loser!

wow!!!! you guys should really chill.

Everyone is getting all worked up and excited already.

Tranquilo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I don even ssee why you guys are bothering to apply, imma get all the acceptances GEEZE

lol:p

Good luck everyone.

As you noted the time to begin to construct your application is near. AMCAS should open up sometime in the third week of May. As soon as you get your AMCAS ID, have original copies of all college transcripts sent to AMCAS so that when you complete your AMCAS app and SUBMIT, then they can begin to verify your application. They advertise that it will take 4-6 weeks to complete the verification process --- but it cant start until they have all of your transcripts.

What can you do before AMCAS opens?
1. Work with your premed advising office to ensure that you are on track to build a LOR package. If your school does a premed committee letter, that is great, often that takes the place of faculty letters and is really more desired than a packet of individual letters if available. If your school does not do premed committee letters, often the office will help to coordinate your package and provide instructions on how to get the package submitted. Most med programs will ask for 3 faculty letters, or 1 premed committee letter package, AND 2 character/peer letters. It is important that you get to your authors and ensure that they write letters (which you cant see) that include some substance, more than grades and "was present for class every day." It would be good to have some sentences which address "who" you were in class; how you worked with others, etc.
2. MCAT by the end of July
3. Remember that the interview season is Sep-March. Meeting a Nov 15 or Dec 1 deadline really means that you are late. Why? Because if you complete by Dec 1 you have already missed possible interview opportunities in Sep-Dec. Your app, completed by the deadline, really makes you available for interview Jan-Mar ---- and of course everyone has a completed app by then. Unless you have a primo app, your chances will be much less than a completed app in the Sep-Dec pool with less applicants in the sea.

So let's look at a SAMPLE general timeline:
- Begin AMCAS end May
- Submit AMCAS June 15
- AMCAS verified July 15
- Supplemental App (each program has one) complete July 30
- MCAT score available July 30
- School reviews complete package by Aug 15. (Makes decision to absolutely interview, possibly interview, do not interview)
- School begins pool review to create interview groups early Sep. (Often offering a date 2-3 weeks later)
- In the best case, you are in the absolutely interview. School offers you interview for initial interview group in 3rd or 4th weeks of Sep.
- School Admissions Committee meets 10 days after interview and tells you of decision. ((**AMCAS traffic rule says that programs cannot offer acceptances or tell you your acceptance status until Oct 15 at the earliest.))

Imagine where an applicant would be if they applied the above to those apps that met the Dec 1 deadline.

The above DOES NOT fit every school process, but I do believe it to be generally accurate for most programs. Hope it helps.

Hi REL! Thanks for the advice thus far. Hopefully you can send us some more words of wisdom in the future.