Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonkatruck

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I thought I would start a thread for those of us that will be graduating medical school in '13. It will be a lucky year for sure!

Tonka!

Members don't see this ad.

you'll probably the the only member of this club :D :p

(LOL, I'm sure there are a number of us starting MD/PhD programs this year fearing that we will become part of that club, but desperately hoping not... ;) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Poor kid. :) I found SDN too when I was a junior in hs and three years later have been described by some as the "worst premed" they ever met. :( I'm really a nice girl though. :)

Originally posted by crystal18mc
I'm really a nice girl though. :)

that's all that counts!:D

I decided to start a thread for people who are applying in June for Class of 2013 because it is almost our time. Just to start talking to people, toss ideas around, pump each other up, encouraging words, you know, all that good stuff. God bless! :D

MCAT in April, app in June, med school- here i come!

Looks like a May MCAT for me, sign up for classes for the fall, and apply to med school this June with all that new stuff on there. Yay...I guess?

Yep, I'm also planning on submitting ASAP, by early June.. hoping to get some serious love from schools. I still have to narrow down my list, though- if you'd like to comment, check out my mdapps and make suggestions. GL everyone.

currently deciding whether or not to take the MCAT on May 27th or June 13th. that extra two weeks shoudn't really make that much of a difference for my app, right? and it could do wonders for my MCAT score b/c of that extra month w/ no school, as opposed to taking late may where i only have like 2 weeks after finals.

what do you guys think? i figure if i take it in june i could be complete by early-mid july.....and thats still considered applying early right?!?

its so exciting knowing that med school is coming up so fast.....it seems like yesterday i was applying for college!?

its kind of overwhelming with all of the schools. i dont even know where to start. i do know that i will be applying to almost every school in CA b/c thats where I will stay if i have the choice. I grew up in San Diego so have been spoiled with amazing weather and a great city all year round. i dont see how i can leave if given the opportunity to stay (UCSD).

that being said, i know all the california schools are top in the nation and i will need to be realistic and broaden my scope.......where to begin?

Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 2013 here we come!!! Full steam ahead. Hey ryserr21, I am nobody to talk about MCAT because my score isn't pretty at all but I say shoot for that may date and don't give yourself the option of the later date. If you really feel like you need the extra time then change. That's what I say but I know what I say will be taken with a grain of salt, maybe a half of a grain. I plan on submitting my app June 1st. Hopefully I will get some HUCM love. God bless you all.

I have MCAT on May 10 and then Apply right away in June...

this is getting exciting!

I will be applying in June as well. Bring out the heavy artillery! lol jk Good luck everybody!

what % of applicants apply as early as june and july? i would assume not that high and that a rush comes in like august/september maybe?

what % of applicants apply as early as june and july? i would assume not that high and that a rush comes in like august/september maybe?

Personally, my application was in May 31. I got all 2nd week or 3rd week interviews. I do have friends that applied in July/August and they still got in too. So, I'd advice to submit as early as you can. First come first serve :p

wow it's unbelievable that a new application cycle is (almost) upon us!

I just want to take this opportunity to wish you all the BEST OF LUCK...and remember to stay calm and have fun throughout this long process as much as possible!

Keep up your positive energy!!! :):luck:

Personally, my application was in May 31. I got all 2nd week or 3rd week interviews. I do have friends that applied in July/August and they still got in too. So, I'd advice to submit as early as you can. First come first serve :p

when is a 2nd week/3rd week interview...as far as what month.

you get asked to an interview after completion of AMCAS and completion of the next step...which are called the secondaries and are specific to each school...is that right?

I'm planning on taking the May 31st MCAT. I have to wait for my dad to finish taxes so I can do the FAP.

I'm really looking forward to applying, I'm just very nervous and very stressed. I'm not sure it gets any worse than the course load I currently have.

Good luck to everyone!

Class of 2013 has a nice ring to it. My MCAT is April 5 +apply June +graduate undergrad in Spring 09 = med school 2009-2013. I can hardly contain myself as I head off to my physics II class.

I decided to start a thread for people who are applying in June for Class of 2013 because it is almost our time. Just to start talking to people, toss ideas around, pump each other up, encouraging words, you know, all that good stuff. God bless! :D

I may do the MD/MBA joint program, thus 2013.

Good luck to you guys! The whole process goes by quicker than you'd think. Seems like I was just revising my personal statement for the 1000th time the other day.

(Get ready to write lots of essays!)

I am applying in June also, and I guess I am sticking with the MCAT score I got in sept. Good luck to all, but be sure to leave me atleast one acceptance:D!!!!

bumb. Wanna see if we have any other members of C/o 2013 out there.

Right here (I know I said in another thread I was going to bed)! Comment the MDapps, I need all the advice I can get.

I cannot believe that four years have gone by since applying to undergrad. Hopefully I can get everything in June 1st. I need to be the early bird.

Hopefully I'll be in there. I don't know whether or not I should take a year off after graduating though.

suggestions for future topics, in chronological order:
1. how early can i submit amcas
2. secondary prompts
3. secondary photo advice
4. what color tie is appropriate. ladies - bring flats to the tour?
5. i think i bombed my interview
6. what to do about waitlists
7. how do i decide between hopkins and washu?

i highly doubt you guys will have anything to rival our "stewart university" thread though...

Since I've gotten all of my application materials together from this year, I'll be submitting the day that AMCAS is open. I know exactly where I'm applying next year, and I've got each section of my app written into MS word.
I'm going to have my app out 1-2 hours after AMCAS opens. :p

Since I've gotten all of my application materials together from this year, I'll be submitting the day that AMCAS is open. I know exactly where I'm applying next year, and I've got each section of my app written into MS word.
I'm going to have my app out 1-2 hours after AMCAS opens. :p
THere will be no need when you get that first acceptance this year though:D

I'm applying this cycle, too. MCAT is on April 18, not worrying about Spring grades, and hopefully have AMCAS finished in the first couple days it opens.

how long should it take to be complete with AMCAS? its just puttin in classes and info and all that right?

how long should it take to be complete with AMCAS? its just puttin in classes and info and all that right?
It opens in may and you cant submit till june so you have time. You have to put in classes, bio info, PS, ECs and descriptions, if you have ever had an IA, etc.

AMCAS also has areas to put info about awards, activities, research, etc. that need to be filled out, along with your personal statement.

It opens in may and you cant submit till june so you have time. You have to put in classes, bio info, PS, ECs and descriptions, if you have ever had an IA, etc.

so realistically how long does that take? it doesnt seem that time consuming.

I get the impression that the personal statement takes a long time to "mature." Everyone I know has it prepared in advance.

The grades is supposed to be a hassle, because it's from every school you ever attended, including which semester.

The big lag time is typically due to AMCAS taking a while to process your transcripts and "veryfiy" you (they make sure what you entered is exactly the same as the transcripts). It can take up to several weeks, but during June it can be as little as a couple days. Late June it starts to get backed up from all the apps coming in and it takes like a month to get verified.

so realistically how long does that take? it doesnt seem that time consuming.
If you dont include the description of the ECs or the PS, it would probably only take 2-3 hours to enter everything in.

i started my personal statement last weekend.

i think i hate myself.

yes. yes, i DO hate myself.

Wassup everybody. Just stoppin by to checc in with all of my future classmates of 2013! I am a re-applicant so it shouldn't be too bad. Just praying that the Lord will make a way like He always does. I have a couple of more months in my postbacc and then it's GAME TIME! God bless yall.

Does AMCAS let you import information from previous years?

They do. I was going to apply again this cycle and when I was going to start, all of my info was still there. You just have to update things like grades, ec's, ps, and whatever else. It makes it easy for people who are re-applying, like myself. God bless.

Hello,

I will be taking the MCAT May 31st and will submit everything to amcas as soon as it opens up. Then only have to wait to get MCAT scores to be complete.

Won't be long now.

Jason

As one of the OP said you can start filling out your AAMCS NOW....You have to enroll and get a password for the 2008 year....but if you look at the FAQ section it states that the information you input will carry over to the next year if you don't apply in 2008..... I have most of my stuff inputed already just waiting for the 13JUN MCAT.....

GOOD LUCK ALL HERE WE COME CLASS OF 2013

So how are the re-applicants doing with their personal statements? I know I need to update it to include what I've done in the past year, but I'm not sure how much total change that should be. I got a couple of compliments on my PS at interviews, so I don't want to lose that magic. At the same time, I don't want to submit the same thing they saw last year. Is everyone doing a complete revamp or just minor tweaking?

I know for me and m ps, I am just going to do a little bit of fine tuning but keep the same idea. No big changes at all. God bless.

yup just fine tuning my application from last year (updating clinical exp, ecs, etc) and studying my butt off for a new and improved mcat score.

dang, you're THE MAN for applying with a 23 mcat.

seriously though, good luck this time around :luck: