Class of 2009 University of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all those already accepted to University of Colorado and for those who'd like more information about it, let's start chatting! I for one would love to hear opinions on the curriculum, the new Fitzsimmons campus, and the overall desirability of going to UCHSC. And maybe make some skiing buddies while I'm at it!

Is anyone planning on going to the April get together for students to meet? I'd like to go!

Members don't see this ad.

DianaLynne said:
For all those already accepted to University of Colorado and for those who'd like more information about it, let's start chatting! I for one would love to hear opinions on the curriculum, the new Fitzsimmons campus, and the overall desirability of going to UCHSC. And maybe make some skiing buddies while I'm at it!

Is anyone planning on going to the April get together for students to meet? I'd like to go!

Hey! I am heading to CO in the fall and can't wait to get back :)

I might go to the April pre-orientation, although I live in Boston, so I haven't decided. So, what do you know about the new curriculum? I interviewed last year (deferred) and they weren't saying too much about it at that point, was it emphasized in your interview this year?

I remember they were talking about being ready to get it going, but I'll be darned if I can remember anything specific. It did seem to be more progressive, the whole cooperative, PBL kinda thing. I'd like to go to the April get together just to refresh my memory and find out how the new campus is coming along.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do know that the new campus is not really coming along (at least the med student classroom building)...apparently, it will not be ready until 2007, at which point we will no longer be in classrooms! Our class will have all basic science classes at the old 9th avenue campus...

I was watching the news and they said that the they realized they won't have enough space for the new Fitzsimmons campus they're building...they said that they'll need like 2-3 times more space? So now they're thinking about building it somewhere else. Just what I heard on a Denver news channel.

Angeliqua said:
I do know that the new campus is not really coming along (at least the med student classroom building)...apparently, it will not be ready until 2007, at which point we will no longer be in classrooms! Our class will have all basic science classes at the old 9th avenue campus...

I wish I'd paid more attention during the tour now! I'm definetly going to the April thing. I didn't even look seriously at the 9th Ave stuff, I didn't think I'd be there.

Any news on the Colorado front?

how long after interview did you hear their decision?

DL & Angeliqua...

Is the April get together info buried in your acceptance stuff? I gotta admit I haven't looked at it since I signed my "I accept the offer" letter and sent it in with my "Hold my spot in the class of 2009" deposit check. Hmmm, guess I should look more closely. Or maybe they're ignoring me until my transcripts arrive or some ticky tack detail. I'm in OR so if I get into OHSU I'll likely go there, but if I don't, I'm heading back to CO to enjoy the sunshine again (went to undergrad in Boulder).

About the curriculum... One of the big things I remember is that they're moving up the start of 3rd year clinical rotations so that you're able to get in an extra "meaningul" (ie before match list has to be in) clinical rotation. Then you make bit of "Elective science material" you lost at the end of year two by doing an elective at the end of year four.

Also, they're going to be doing a mixture of lecture and small group that should be cool.

The new campus....
Angeliqula is right, we won't get to take classes out on the new campus, but we'll be doing a lot of our clinical stuff out there.

And to internet...
I interviewed on Dec. 9 and got my acceptance on Dec 23.

anyone still waiting to hear from CU? i interviewed early january.

Does anyone know if Colorado is still offering interviews? Thanks

I am still waiting to hear and I interviewed early December

lis79 said:
Does anyone know if Colorado is still offering interviews? Thanks

They told us that they send out the final decisions in March, which means they probably don't interview past february

Members don't see this ad :)
internet said:
They told us that they send out the final decisions in March, which means they probably don't interview past february

Do you know when in March we will hear?

When are we supposed to send in our transcripts?

Oh, and they've moved the April get together to Apr 22. Maybe I'll see some of you cats there!

DianaLynne said:
When are we supposed to send in our transcripts?

Oh, and they've moved the April get together to Apr 22. Maybe I'll see some of you cats there!

DL - I already had my transcripts sent (had to do it twice actually because CU-Boulder didn't send them the first time). However, they still haven't cashed my deposit check yet so I doubt they're in any hurry (especially sincel most of the class will find out in March).

Good Luck to folks waitin' to hear!!!!!

gaitdoc said:
Do you know when in March we will hear?

the administrative guy at the interview (Sean?) said the 15th, but that's probably tentative

Hey there,

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from CU ... March 15 isn't too far away yet!

I received an acceptance to CU late last week, almost two weeks after my interview. I'm really excited about the acceptance, and will likely attend (although there are two other schools that I still haven't heard back from yet post-interview.) I look forward to meeting everyone at the April get-together, or later this summer!

anyone write a LOI to colorado? do yall know the committee's routine? do they make decisions after each interview day, or do they wait for interview season to close and then go over all of them? I don't mean the top guns that got in already, I mean us joe schmoes

internet said:
anyone write a LOI to colorado? do yall know the committee's routine? do they make decisions after each interview day, or do they wait for interview season to close and then go over all of them? I don't mean the top guns that got in already, I mean us joe schmoes

don't waste ur time w/ a post-interview loi (interest or intent). if you've interviewed already, a "score" has been attributed to you which is pretty much set in stone; that is, updates, transcripts, addn lor's will not help you.

this applies to CU only; most other schools welcome updates, etc.

:thumbup:

The more I fill out financial aid stuff, the better CU looks. Plus, weekend skiing trips...

Is there any additional financial aid stuff we need to do at this point? I did FAFSA, but don't seem to be able to find a CU form.

I haven't checked in with this thread for awhile! Good luck to everyone interviewing and waiting to hear :)

My guess is that they are done sending out invites this year...but I could be wrong.

I don't think there is anything else we need to do for financial aid at this point, my FAFSA is complete, so I guess I will just sit around and wait.

I don't know yet if I will go to the pre-orientation since I don't live in CO right now...I can always come up with multiple excuses to visit though! Anyone know where you're living yet? I think I may stay a bit outside of Denver - for slightly lower rents - maybe Thornton/Westminster.

daisymay said:
Hey there,

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from CU ... March 15 isn't too far away yet!

I received an acceptance to CU late last week, almost two weeks after my interview. I'm really excited about the acceptance, and will likely attend (although there are two other schools that I still haven't heard back from yet post-interview.) I look forward to meeting everyone at the April get-together, or later this summer!

Congrats on your acceptance! :D I too am still waiting to hear news from other schools, but CU would certainly work! I'll be there on the 22nd, though I wish they hadn't changed the date. Now it interferes with UM's 2nd Look Weekend. Hmph.

anyone know the acceptance rate? I think they said they accept half those interviewed, but does anyone know the number for in-state? I would think it must be more, since they get more out of state applications.

Now, the word on the street is that the Fitzsimmons campus is going to be up and running in 2007. Just in time for the class of 2009 to be the first class to do our rotations there.

Has anyone done their financial aid package? I guess I better get to work!

Hey there,

That would be great if the Fitzsimmon's campus was indeed up and running for us med students by 2007!

Speaking of progress at CU ... what do you think about Hoffman's resignation and all the negative press about CU? I think it's very unfortunate that many incidents have been blown out of proportion, perhaps largely due to political agendas. Anyway, I just hope that the University finds a new president who will continue to support the Health Sciences center and research as much (if not more) than Hoffman has, and that most faculty are not too disturbed the current situation.

In regards to financial aid, I mailed in my packet to the Financial Aid office last week. I guess that I really need to start looking around at scholarships and such, though ...

I spoke with a woman today who went to Harvard and Hopkins med, and she spoke very, very highly of CU. The positive feedback is always encouraging and exciting!

Ok, well, talk with y'all soon.

For those of you that have been accepted already, did you find out by e-mail or snail mail? I'm waiting to hear from them after the 15th...

Also, did anyone hear that there were problems with the building of the Fitzsimmons campus? I think there was some lack of space issue, any input on that? Thanks.

CaliforniaBear said:
For those of you that have been accepted already, did you find out by e-mail or snail mail? I'm waiting to hear from them after the 15th...

Also, did anyone hear that there were problems with the building of the Fitzsimmons campus? I think there was some lack of space issue, any input on that? Thanks.

C-Bear,

They send you a notice via email, then follow up with a snail mail package later in the week. Hope you get the happy news.

I haven't heard anything on the fitzsimmons campus.

Good Luck,
BT

Yeah, I think Hoffman resigning is a bad thing. I don't know how closely you've been following the whole Ward Churchill thing, but I think there's no reason for that to be causation or the football team. The football scandal actually took place before Hoffman was even hired, and it's such a no-brainer that a professor should be able to write whatever cockamamie tripe that crosses his mind. It doesn't mean anyone has to like it, that's what free speech is all about. What I've been hearing lately is that Hoffman has been getting seriously pressured by the conservative right wing.

I just hope whatever new leadership comes in has the ability to be a positive presence in a university with more controversy than it deserves. And be able to wrestle with the state legislature for funding.

That's my 1/50 of a dollar...

anyone hear anything today?

Last year we heard around the 21st. I forget the exact date.

A friend received her rejection by email today. I haven't gotten anything yet. Is this good or bad for me? Does it mean they are still in deliberation over some of the applicants, i.e. they eliminate a few every day till they have their class?

Inet, is your friend made up? :laugh:

Internet,
Was the rejection pre or post interview? CU has always sent out their acceptances, waitlists, and rejections on the same day for everyone post interview. Well, except for a few people who are accepted right away after their interview.

hi everyone

Good luck on your acceptances. Remember, do not give up - you can get in off the wait list until the very last minute (i.e. after orientation starts).

a few updates:
- financial aid - they will send you out a packet with all the info. There are forms online that need to be filled out, but you can wait on these until you get the packet. In about April/May they will send you info on the scholarships that are available. These are mostly in the $500-$5000 range, and there aren't many. Deadlines will be end-May or so. You will probably not hear back about financial aid before you make your school decision. There is a Colorado grant of $700/quarter max for students in maximum financial need, which you do not have to apply for; you automatically get it. (Next year we will be on semester system, so maybe it'll be $1000/semester.)
- pre-orientation day - this is worth coming to, so you can meet fun and exciting med students as well as your future MS1 colleagues. Plan to take a little drive around the neighborhoods and think about where you might live.
- housing - you can find fairly cheap housing very close to campus; the rental market is wide open and there are tons of places to live. You could show up in August and find a place close by, no problem. The financial advantage of living in e.g. Thornton may be wiped out by the misery of the hwy 36 commute (as much as 1 hour if you want to make it to 8 a.m. class) and the financial cost of commuting. Depends how much you like to drive.
- re Fitz - you will be at 9th Ave for classes during first 2 years, so no sweat. Your rotations will be done at a variety of hospitals and clinics around Colorado anyway. This is not a big deal for current MS1-2 students, and I doubt it will be a big deal for you.

enjoy your last months of happy freedom!

I meant made up only if it is a post interview rejection.

mcjay said:
I meant made up only if it is a post interview rejection.

she is very real, and I hope her notification is also. otherwise, if wire is right about all applicants hearing on the same day, then someone lost my file because I didn't get word today

internet said:
she is very real, and I hope her notification is also. otherwise, if wire is right about all applicants hearing on the same day, then someone lost my file because I didn't get word today

Was it post interiview or was it pre interview?

mcjay said:
Was it post interiview or was it pre interview?

post - she interviewed last week, which I think was the final interview day. I interviewed early January. maybe they regress?

internet said:
post - she interviewed last week, which I think was the final interview day. I interviewed early January. maybe they regress?

Thanks. Sorry to dog you.

Internet - I interviewed also. Do not worry, they haven't sent anything out yet. I find it strange your friend got a rejection, but it's probably a positive thing for us if we didn't hear.

wire said:
Internet - I interviewed also. Do not worry, they haven't sent anything out yet. I find it strange your friend got a rejection, but it's probably a positive thing for us if we didn't hear.

i too haven't heard from CU...

and i've been waiting sooooo long post-interview :thumbdown:

notice from CU today:

Just a brief e-mail to inform you that the final results of your
application to the University of Colorado School of Medicine is not
known at this time. We are still sending out all levels of
communication and on a worst case scenario you should hear about your
application to the School of Medicine no later than March 22. This
notification will be sent via e-mail.

Okay well, who heard something today? I was placed on the top third of the waitlist. Any current students know the stats of those accepted from the top third? I know Sean told people at the interview that they usually go through the top third, but who knows since this year is so competitive. Also, are they going to increase their class size or is it staying the same?

I've got a real quick question for you all. My cousin is applying to entering c/o 2006, she's a Colorado resident and despite all of my pleading, she's decided not to apply University of Colorado because she thinks she can't get in for being too young (she'll be 21 as an applicant, ridiculous eh?). I guess she looked at either MSAR or Princeton Review and saw that they accept a lot of non-trads, making their average age a little higher. In the interest of getting her to apply to her state school (seeing as how many peops only get into their state school)would you mind giving me an idea of how many of you only got into CU or maybe give me some ideas on how to get her to apply? I really feel she's shooting herself in the foot on this one.

wire said:
Okay well, who heard something today? I was placed on the top third of the waitlist. Any current students know the stats of those accepted from the top third? I know Sean told people at the interview that they usually go through the top third, but who knows since this year is so competitive. Also, are they going to increase their class size or is it staying the same?

no word today, wire. dunno if that's good news or bad. I think you're in good shape; sean said the top third always gets in. And I think Sondheimer said they are expanding to 144 this year. THat will probably get even bigger with the move to fitz. COngrats on the waitlist, anyway

No word for me as well. :thumbup:

dopaminophile said:
I've got a real quick question for you all. My cousin is applying to entering c/o 2006, she's a Colorado resident and despite all of my pleading, she's decided not to apply University of Colorado because she thinks she can't get in for being too young (she'll be 21 as an applicant, ridiculous eh?). I guess she looked at either MSAR or Princeton Review and saw that they accept a lot of non-trads, making their average age a little higher. In the interest of getting her to apply to her state school (seeing as how many peops only get into their state school)would you mind giving me an idea of how many of you only got into CU or maybe give me some ideas on how to get her to apply? I really feel she's shooting herself in the foot on this one.

She is shooting herself in the head, not the foot. Rule #1 is ALWAYS apply to your state school if you have any kind of chance of getting in there.

The current MS1 class ranges in age from 20 to 42 (the 20 yo was 19 when s/he started school). They do accept a lot of non-trads, but they also accept a lot of fresh-out-of-undergrad students. The age range gives a good balance and means that no matter who you are, there will be someone to hang out and have fun with.

As an in-state student, she will automatically be more competitive. The secondary is relatively easy, travel to the interview will be cheaper, etc..

im an mstp applicant.
i got a call from the md/phd folks a couple of weeks ago that said i was "high" on their alternates list. then i got an email from sean spellman telling me that i was in the "top priority" for the med school (*which i guess is independent of the mst program) i dont know what "third" that is, does anyone?