Citing an article accepted for publication (but not yet published)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babbitt4MVP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an author in an article that was recently accepted for publication. However, the date of publication is TBD right now. One of my secondaries asks for any updated info and I thought this would be a good one to add. Does anyone know how I can cite this accepted but unpublished article?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an author in an article that was recently accepted for publication. However, the date of publication is TBD right now. One of my secondaries asks for any updated info and I thought this would be a good one to add. Does anyone know how I can cite this accepted but unpublished article?
You can write " Name of article, Babbit4MPV et al., 2017, In press"

Reactions: 1 users
@Babbitt4MVP, here are some choices (depending on the required format and total number of authors). However, most individuals will "get the idea" if you cite the article, using a different format. Your secondary should be fine.

1. For AMA style (JAMA), with less than six authors, you can write:

Smith J. Introduction to emergency medicine. Emergency Medicine. In press.

2. For APA style, you can write:

Smith, J. B., Wilson, S. T., Johnson, T. C., & Pratt, G. T. (in press). Introduction to emergency medicine. Emergency Medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users