Cis/Carbo shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radonc 2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a feel for how bad the Cisplatin/Carboplatin shortage is for different practice settings/regions. Here in a small metro, community hospital setting, the med oncs just started referring new patients out that need Cis/Carbo 1st line for curative treatment to an academic center nearby. I'm going to guess the larger systems have more leverage to obtain more stable supply? How is everybody else doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If no more chemo, does that make us the “oncologist” now?

Reactions: 4 users
Must be a location thing. In my area, med oncs cannot keep up hanging the bags and then getting the bag!

Reactions: 1 user
1685295099728.png

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
stolen from the SBRT memes Twitter some time ago I think
EAF922B9-664B-45C8-8D39-EDFA85E61A8D.png

49145947-1157-4516-901B-BF8721C8A015.png

Reactions: 2 users
Makes me wonder if this is just a temporary blip or something that we will be dealing with on and off long term due to systematic changes in investments in drug manufacturing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hearing same thing locally. Med onc thinks the bigger players esp at larger academic centers may be less affected but this definitely is sounding like a national problem and it's not just affecting chemo.

I’m at a good sized academic center and it’s crushing us. I’ve been too preoccupied to look into it deeply but it’s mind blowing to me that we could have a shortage on such fundamental drugs. Where the big academic centers differ…industry partners will give us IO for everything. It’s practically in our water. No chemo? That’s ok, pembro is “probably” better anyway.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users