Choosing schools to apply to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poke

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a situation I'd like your opinions on...

I have a few years yet before I'll even be applying to vet school. I'm currently in my sophomore year of undergrad, but will be taking a year off before my junior year so that I may establish residency here (WI). I'm interested in doing zoological medicine and would love to go to a school that has plenty of opportunities in that area.. However.. at the end of this year, I will already be up to my neck in student loans (approx $50K). I have dual Canadian/American citizenship, and have been interested in moving back to Canada. Of the locations available, I would love to move to Ontario when I finish my undergrad and go to Guelph. Of course, I would have to establish residency before I'm even able to apply. The good news is, I'm sure I'd be happy overall there, and it would be the cheapest option for me. (Yes, I know it isn't about the money, but at the rate I'm going, I wouldn't be able to survive on salary vs loan payment.)

Here are my questions..
* I haven't heard anything about zoological medicine at Guelph, which is understandable. Let's say I'm an outstanding student.. will the choice of school limit me at all in my desired field later on? I know this has been discussed before, and that typically the internship is done in small or large animal medicine.
* If I do move to Ontario and establish residency, do I only apply to Guelph? If that's my number one choice, do I just wait it for for them to accept me, or do I apply to multiple schools and take the chance that another school may accept me while OVC not?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I'm currently doing my undergrad at Guelph - great school! I love it here :) Highly recommend coming here - if you are taking a year off, move to Ontario!

While I haven't heard much about zoological medicine here at Guelph, I wouldn't think that coming here will limit your options for internships, etc (of course, the fact that I haven't heard much about it doesn't mean there isn't anything here!!). Guelph is very well-reputed, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Also: just searched 'zoological medicine' on OVC's website, this came up in terms of faculty research interests: http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/pathobio/faculty/smith.shtm

As far as applying to schools, I believe it is difficult to apply to other schools at the same time as OVC. They accept applications in May for September entry, and they interview in July, and you are accepted in August. That causes problems for other schools that require a decision before OVC's application is even due. Though they are moving that deadline somewhat forward, staring in 2009...but I doubt that will help all that much.