Choosing between USUHS (Navy) and Jefferson HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inhcas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I apologize if this is considered double-posting; if so, feel free to delete this thread.

I posted over in 'Help Me Decide: School X vs Y' but thought maybe I should post here for visibility from more people with relevant backgrounds. I really appreciate any help you can provide; I feel like this is such a big decision because my life could go in very different directions depending on whether I go civilian or military. But in the end, regardless of what I decide, I know I'll think I made the right choice.

I'm deciding between USUHS (Navy) and Jefferson HPSP (or just Jefferson without military obligation, or Jefferson with FAP later down the line). I did see this very similar thread in this forum; OP ended up going with another school.

I've read through the stickied posts, most of which are from the 2000s, but there were a couple posts from 2015 that said military med hadn't change much. So should I assume that people would still express more cons and pros about their military med experiences?

Anyway, my situation (copied from my thread with slight edits):

I'm female, will be 30 this summer. No family, don't really like kids, but could change my mind. I'll be 44 by the end of the USUHS obligation, 41 by the end of Jeff HPSP.

Maybe I should hold off and do FAP if I still have the itch to do military med? I don't want to miss out on becoming part of the culture (by going through USUHS or HPSP); I wonder if FAP people are seen as outsiders, or is this not an issue?

I'm someone who's fine with being part of the military. I've never served or have family who has, but I attended USMC OCS before, so I have an interest in it. And I think my goals (see bottom) align well with such a life. The idea of being able to say "my sailors" or "my Marines" really appeals to me -> that camaraderie aspect. I'm not **100%** sure about the military, but I think that's just because one is never truly sure about anything; I'd say I'm sure enough. I adapt well to circumstances anyway and can find things anywhere to make life more enjoyable. I'm currently interested in EM (a generalist specialty), though that can change. I'm into sports and training, so I'd also like to look into ortho, PMR, or sports med.

So since both of my choices include me spending a stint in the military, the differences between the two are:

USUHS
- 7-year commitment after residency
- paid ~$60K/year during school
- I would have already spent 4 years becoming part of the military culture, so I'd feel more a part of it
- live in DMV (I prefer Philly because it's smaller and better for biking, but I've been to DC a lot and it's fine. Might be useful to be near government organizations)
- can network with instructors, who have connections to all sorts of things in the military
- have to drive to climbing gym (~30 minutes) - this is more inconvenient than in Philly

Jeff
- 4-year commitment after residency
- paid ~$25K/year during school
- live in Philly
- I still think their students were the warmest, most loving group I met among the 12 schools I interviewed at, though I could see myself among USUHS students as well. I'm sure both schools' students are great.
- can bike to climbing gym (~15 minutes)

Career goals:
To have a varied career, including: clinical practice (military and civilian), deploying to combat zones, working with astronauts/people traveling to extreme environments, working at research stations in Antarctica or other cold/remote places or at Everest base camp (aerospace or wilderness med), doing consultant-type work (changing projects every few months, or minutes as in my current specialty interest of EM, seems to fit my personality), working with MSF/International Red Cross/humanitarian missions, working with athletes, or doing something related to technology/innovation/entrepreneurship.

--

One thing that I really want to prioritize and get better at is people/social skills, emotional intelligence, being engaging, and earning strangers' trust, which is so important for doctors. I think I can improve at this no matter which school I go to, as long as I make a concerted effort?

Something I admire about people in the military, and also many doctors I've met, is their self-confidence and self-assurance. I love that and want to be around those kinds of people. Not everyone who is in the military is like that of course (it's such a big organization, you can't generalize everyone like that), but I feel like I can find people like that. Especially Marines, just based on personal experiences; I admire every single one I've met - they have that aura about them, and that stereotype is pretty true.

Related to developing confidence: In addition to learning to practice medicine, my goal through med school/in life is to develop the personal aspect: personality, emotional and social intelligence, social/people skills. Docs have to be able to connect with strangers and gain their trust immediately in order to help their patients. That's not my strength, but I'm sick of not having better people skills, so I'm determined to seek out opportunities to work on this whether I go to Jefferson or USUHS, or any other school.

Members don't see this ad.

I may be bias since I'm going to be an MS1 at USU, but I'll throw in my two cents.

Even looking at your pro/con list between USU and Jefferson, it seems like you like Jefferson more. As a side note, there are plenty of biking trails in the Bethesda area.

But I think your career goals align with military medicine, and from what I know about USU, there are lots of opportunities during school that would allow for exploration of your goals.

I think that your first question needs to be if you want to do military medicine or civilian, which is a decision only you can make. I based on my experiences at USU and with the students, faculty, and alum, I think USU is the best place for you if you want to practice military medicine.

Yes, I think you can improve your people skills no matter what school you go to. I don't know as much about Jefferson. Remember at least for USU, and military in general, you are not only a physician...you are also a military officer which comes with leadership responsibilities. This will definitely help with self-confidence and self-assurance.

Make sure to ask your USU sponsor plenty of questions, and see if they can connect you with someone who was in a similar situation.

Reactions: 1 user
I may be bias since I'm going to be an MS1 at USU, but I'll throw in my two cents.

Even looking at your pro/con list between USU and Jefferson, it seems like you like Jefferson more. As a side note, there are plenty of biking trails in the Bethesda area.

But I think your career goals align with military medicine, and from what I know about USU, there are lots of opportunities during school that would allow for exploration of your goals.

I think that your first question needs to be if you want to do military medicine or civilian, which is a decision only you can make. I based on my experiences at USU and with the students, faculty, and alum, I think USU is the best place for you if you want to practice military medicine.

Yes, I think you can improve your people skills no matter what school you go to. I don't know as much about Jefferson. Remember at least for USU, and military in general, you are not only a physician...you are also a military officer which comes with leadership responsibilities. This will definitely help with self-confidence and self-assurance.

Make sure to ask your USU sponsor plenty of questions, and see if they can connect you with someone who was in a similar situation.
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I guess I should clarify that I mainly bike for commuting purposes, not as a sport. So a smaller city is better in that regard. I'll also try to live close to school if I go to USU. But not an important point, it was just a side note anyway - thanks for sharing it!

So I'm pretty sure that I want to practice military medicine. Comparing the difference between a 4-year commitment and a 7-year commitment -> it's a matter of 3 extra years. Although I want to experience military med, those 3 years may make a difference if I end up not liking it...

I guess it's the uncertainty that gets me. But uncertainty is just a part of life, and we have to make decisions based on incomplete information.

At times (like right now, when I'm feeling inspired after reading the LinkedIn profile of Ross Kotwal, which I found from this slideshow - the subject matter interests me), I lean towards USU. But then I don't want to give up the experience of Jeff...just, the lovely people that I met, and Center City is great...but I can do only one.

I can't go wrong with any decision...but I still gotta decide!

I do value what you said about being a military officer, having leadership responsibilities, and developing self-confidence. That's super important to me as a personal development/life goal.

[Writing things out helps me process things.]

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: figure out if you want to be in the military for the next decade with everything that entails.
If yes, then choose between Jeff and USU.
If no, then Jeff.

Choosing USU is choosing to join the military and then its choosing a med school.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're not sure about being in the military...the answer is simple.

I think you also have to consider your age. You're 30 and unmarried and without children. Though you sound a bit ambivalent now...you probably don't want to close doors to the option. And the decision to have children of your own may be greatly impaired or at least deterred by your decision to join the military. Being a medical professional as a woman is tough enough...also being in the military, even tougher.

I went into Med school thinking there was no way I'd be married and have children anytime soon. I left internship with a wife and two children. Life can change pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm pretty sure that I want to practice military medicine. Comparing the difference between a 4-year commitment and a 7-year commitment -> it's a matter of 3 extra years. Although I want to experience military med, those 3 years may make a difference if I end up not liking it...
This...I'm HPSP. Finishing mil residency, aside from a few goofballs, you can't differentiate who went to USU or sense any extra military indoctrination.
3 years is a big deal...I'm happy with my decision and only having 4 years to pay back and thus far have had a good time, matched top choice residency, matched into top choice fellowship (civilian). I'm pretty sure I'll get out but either way I'll have the option. If I want to stay, I sign for retention bonuses sooner, more bargaining power for that next PCS or career move.if I'm unhappy, I'm not stuck another 3 years

Reactions: 1 users
This...I'm HPSP. Finishing mil residency, aside from a few goofballs, you can't differentiate who went to USU or sense any extra military indoctrination.
3 years is a big deal...I'm happy with my decision and only having 4 years to pay back and thus far have had a good time, matched top choice residency, matched into top choice fellowship (civilian). I'm pretty sure I'll get out but either way I'll have the option. If I want to stay, I sign for retention bonuses sooner, more bargaining power for that next PCS or career move.if I'm unhappy, I'm not stuck another 3 years
Did you match into a Civilian residency or Military? My concern with Mil Med is the quality of the residency programs.