Navy HPSP Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s432000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a difficult time finding an answer for this regarding those who took Navy HPSP, but how many interviews did you end up doing for the scholarship? Also, do you have any advice regarding preparation for the interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I completed my Navy HPSP interviews just over a month ago and am now sitting at boards. Feel free to DM me if you have more questions.

I had 2 different interviews at separate times. One officer was in sicily, Italy serving his 4 year obligation and the other was in NC and decided to stay in the military after his obligation.

My biggest advice is know WHY you want to be 1. a military physician and 2. navy officer. The rest is like any other med interview where you can ask them questions and they get a feel for your motivations as a future physician.

Reactions: 2 users
@s432000 @SupDoc1998
Hi! How do you start the process? I want to apply and was accepted into medical school and have emailed my recruiter but not sure where to get an application.

Members don't see this ad :)
@s432000 @SupDoc1998
Hi! How do you start the process? I want to apply and was accepted into medical school and have emailed my recruiter but not sure where to get an application.
So the recruiter fills out the application on your behalf. However, there is a ton of paperwork that you need to sign / SF-86 form / DoDMERB MEPS / among other things. I would say make sure you're in contact with an HPSP recruiter for your desired branch, and they should be able to help you from there.

@SupDoc1998 Thank you! Do you think it would be possible for me to receive the scholarship before school starts in July? If School starts in July and I receive funding in September would I have to get loans to pay school fees or would the school wait for me. Sorry for the unorganized question.

I think you have plenty of time rn, but I would definitely get on it. Depending on the recruiter it can take some time. For example, I just sent mine to Boards (the approval process) and I started in September.

I do not know exactly how the payment works if it falls after the start of school. That would be a good question for your recruiter.

Reactions: 1 user
@SupDoc1998 Thank you! Do you think it would be possible for me to receive the scholarship before school starts in July? If School starts in July and I receive funding in September would I have to get loans to pay school fees or would the school wait for me. Sorry for the unorganized question.
To answer your question, apprise your school of the situation and they will provide lenience on paying tuition. How do I know? I just finished my first semester and have been $30k in the red the whole semester with no problems.

As far as the stipend/bonus money, I didn’t begin receiving pay until mid October so living expenses prior were on me. I’m AF, but I went through the app process with the navy. Luckily I got stuck with a fantastic recruiter (not really), so the process took much longer than it needed to. Get on it right away if you’ve got an acceptance in hand.

Also, my advice would be to be on your recruiter until things get complete. They will give you all kinds of crap about how unprofessional you are or how there’s nothing they can do. Don’t worry, that’s what recruiters do. Don’t mind it and keep your sights on yourself, because frankly, most of the recruiters don’t care what happens after you sign on the dotted line.

With that said, I love the fact that I don’t have to worry about loans and HPSP was 100% the way I wanted to go. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I just saw this as I don't go on SDN often. I was going to reach out to a recruiter by using the Navy website before the app cycle opened but they actually email me first. This was back in late March. The process definitely takes time from all the paperwork to rec letters to MEPS and interviews, so the earlier you can start, the better chances you have. My recruiter told me that last year, they had leftover scholarships available so I think you may still be ok.

I think you have plenty of time rn, but I would definitely get on it. Depending on the recruiter it can take some time. For example, I just sent mine to Boards (the approval process) and I started in September.

I do not know exactly how the payment works if it falls after the start of school. That would be a good question for your recruiter.
Out of curiosity, how were you able to get processed that quickly? I would say that around April was when I started the paperwork and the entire process took some time so my package is now at the boards but I don't think I had many delays in my app. Maybe two weeks due to MEPS delay and about three weeks for a third interview in my case.

Out of curiosity, how were you able to get processed that quickly? I would say that around April was when I started the paperwork and the entire process took some time so my package is now at the boards but I don't think I had many delays in my app. Maybe two weeks due to MEPS delay and about three weeks for a third interview in my case.
Great question. I really do not know. All I can say is my recruiter has been a star, and everything for me has been about a week turn around time. The only thing outside of boards that I am in the process of is security clearance, but you do not need that to go to boards.