Choosing Between Two Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply. Please let us know when you hear back. I would strongly favor Michigan, but certainly if the final tuition difference is much beyond 100k I would reconsider.

Members don't see this ad.

So Michigan increased my scholarship to almost match the one I received from University of Chicago. In the end with increased costs at University of Chicago, it would only be about $15,000 over 4 years less expensive to attend University of Chicago-Pritzker than University of Michigan. Also, I was a bit concerned about not having exposure to trauma at a Level 1 Trauma center. I did speak with a few Pritzker students. While they were able to work out experiences to work with trauma patients, it was something they had to get aligned by themselves and wasn't necessarily very easy for them to work out. Also, University of Michigan has a better rating for Internal Medicine and Pediatrics. Also, I think I meshed better with University of Michigan students.

Needless to say today I decided to attend University of Michigan.... Go BLUE !!

Reactions: 7 users
I am not only interested in knife and gun shot victims. I would like to see trauma care from car wrecks and other accidents as well. Also, ambulances with trauma victims don't go to Pritzker. This doesn't just change what you see in year 3 and 4 in the ED, but also what trauma internal medicine patients are on the floor and in the intensive care unit and what surgeries you see in the OR. I had Pritzker students tell me that they had reduced exposure to trauma patients overall. My information is coming from what current students have told me.

They also said that they could go to sister hospitals to see more trauma; however, it was not a large part of the 3/4 years. This was in stark contrast from the involvement I heard from current University of Michigan students about being involved in caring for trauma patients, though this may just be because of the students I have spoke with.

Like you said though this was just one part of my decision.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In that case I amend my previous recommendation and say go to pritzker

Smaller class size makes a big difference, plus location.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel that a smaller class size is an important factor?

Thanks!

I would like to see trauma care from car wrecks and other accidents as well (especially the neurosurgery implications). Also, ambulances with trauma victims don't go to Pritzker.

Well if there's one thing Michigan has no shortage of...

and FWIW, as true as @SouthernSurgeon 's points are about UMich, UofC indeed doesn't have a trauma center at all...* (they also don't have a psych ward either, which I think is important for any student's education regardless of what they ultimately go into). The perception of UofC from the people I know there is that they're very good at a number of things but are really iffy at others. Michigan on the other hand seems to be solid across the board.

Small class size is important (see my rants about my own former school), but it's not like either place is 250 per class. As much as it pains me to give a school that employs Jim Harbaugh credit, if costs are similar, Michigan is the way to go.

*honestly I think the bigger issue is that the lack of a TC is a big middle finger to the South Side community than it is a problem for medical student education.

Needless to say today I decided to attend University of Michigan

Congratulations! I'm happy to hear that the financial aid package made this an easy decision for you. Of course, you made the right decision.
Enjoy!

Those are both great schools, so this really is a no-brainer: choose the cheaper school!!

73K is a big difference, especially at the high interest rate you will be paying (after interest during med school and residency the difference will be greater than that). Also, your interest payments will be much higher if you go to Michigan, meaning your payments as a resident and attending will be paying the principle down at a slower rate.

Notice point number one:
http://www.theherocomplex.com/top-8-financial-moves-to-make-as-a-pre-med-or-medical-student/

I agree with this statement. At the end of it all you will be doing the same job, and still be called a doctor. Choose the cheaper school, especially in this situation because it sounds like both those schools offer you basically the same opportunities. That 73k will balloon to well over 100k by the time you are paying it back. Go with the cheaper one.

I agree with this statement. At the end of it all you will be doing the same job, and still be called a doctor. Choose the cheaper school, especially in this situation because it sounds like both those schools offer you basically the same opportunities. That 73k will balloon to well over 100k by the time you are paying it back. Go with the cheaper one.

Unfortunately it's not always that simple, particularly for someone who wants to pursue a competitive specialty in a certain region. Going to the cheapest school is not always the best decision, but this has already been discussed ad nauseam in this thread (see bc65 and NickNaylor's comments on the previous page for another perspective).

OOPs, didn't notice this was a necrobump from a year ago. Ignore

Last edited: