Chiropractors and PT script

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can chiropractors bill insurances for modalities such as e-stim and "neuromuscular education"? I sent a patient with for physical therapy (with a script) who took it to a chiropractor. I got a note back stating that "she presented with a physical therapy script" and that she received the therapies listed above.

1) Why did they comment that they presented with a physical therapy script? Is that so that for the insurance companies to see?

2) Do insurances routinely cover e-stim and manipulation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can chiropractors bill insurances for modalities such as e-stim and "neuromuscular education"? I sent a patient with for physical therapy (with a script) who took it to a chiropractor. I got a note back stating that "she presented with a physical therapy script" and that she received the therapies listed above.

1) Why did they comment that they presented with a physical therapy script? Is that so that for the insurance companies to see?

Thanks!

Fozzy,

I believe that the only typical "rehab" codes that a chiropractor they couldn't bill for would be PT evaluation and PT Re-evaluation. And, the vast majority of insurance companies cover e-stim and manual therapy (which would include manipulation). So, given the fact that DC's have direct access, as long as the patient's insurance covers chiropractic, they shouldn't get stuck with an astronomical bill - as long as they don't get sold on the traditional "maintenance" chiropractic scam.

Thanks!

In short, yes, chiros perform, bill and get reimbursed for the various modalities like e-stim, ultrasound, etc. Of course, there is some variability based on the particular insurance plan a patient may have, but by and large these are covered services when performed by a chiro. Medicare is one large exception, as Medicare only pays DCs to perform spinal manipulation (98940, 98941 or 98942) and nothing else.

Over the years, I've only had a few patients present to my office with a PT script from an MD/DO. Most of these people had been established patients in my office previously, knew me, and trusted me. In all cases, the patient clearly understood that they were not in a PT office; in other words, they didn't mistakenly present to my office. If the order was for treatments I render, and the patient specifically wanted me to treat them, I would take them. If it was for something a PT office could handle better, I'd explain that to the patient and refer them to the right place. One example I recall off the top of my head was for a guy who wanted me to rehab his knee after a total knee replacement; I told him a PT office should handle his case and sent him on his way.

As to the DC in your example, I see no particular reason he mentioned "she presented with a physical therapy script". To my knowledge, this statement wouldn't benefit him from an insurance reimbursement standpoint. That patient's insurance either covers chiropractic services or it doesn't.