Chem I help needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemc2000

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is way beyond most of you, but I would appreciate your help. As I have said in previous posts, I took Chem I 22 years ago. I am retaking it in January. I really need to get an A in this class. Do you have any suggestions of what/how I should study it to be prepared? I emailed the instructor but she just said "take the intro course first, and study pre-algebra". Well algebra is not a problem for me.

Anyway, I have the Chem textbook and I am working on the first chapter which is all about SI, sig figs, sp.gr., density, etc. I plan on making flash cards with all the basic formulas so I can review them on our trip up north next week. Then I am going to work on re-learning what info is on the periodic table.

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Chem I is pretty basic. Understand bonds, electronegativity and phases of matter. Practice stoichiometry, gas law problems, Hess's law problems. I think that's about it for Chem I.

acid/base, k values, Ksp values, common ion effect and buffering (really important for pharm school).
It's actually amenable to a few weeks of hard core studying. I took the MCAT, and didn't remember squat before and crammed it all before august, and that section (physical sciences was my best score: 13

I would take the weeks before school begins and really try and hit it hard. It's not gonna be fun, but it's a great way to ensure that 'A' and, in my opinion, is critical for pharm school. I know i am not of one accord with several members of this board when it comes to that, but w.e. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took Chem I this past semester and contrary of what other people told me, it's not that bad. I got an A+ in the class. I think doing your hw will help alot. Also, study the stuff as you go along, don't wait until the final, and try to study everything. There's alot of stuff to be cover in Chem I. I don't know about other classes, buy my class actually went into a little bit of organic at the end of the year.

Although gen chem builds upon previous knowledge to a certain degree, it isn't necessary to memorize everything from chem I to do well in chem 2. Here is my advice for chem 2. (These things helped me get A's in honors college chem)
1)Read (or briefly skim) the text before class, so you know what will be covered.
2)Take as detailed notes as you can during class. Something that doesn't seem important now, could turn up on the test later.
3)Recopy your notes as soon after class as possible. Organize the material in a neater, more organized way. Try to fill in any gaps in your notes by looking at other's notes, consulting the text, or asking your teachers. You want a blueprint for studying!
4)Reread the text as necessary to reinforce the material. Don't be passive about it. Do the in text sample problems as you read to make sure you understand. This reinforces what you read and gives you breaks in your reading.
5) (MOST IMPORTANT) Do LOTS of problems. Not just easy ones...medium ones, hard ones, all of them if you can. Definitely know how to do all of the assigned problems...they are definitely fair game for the test. Ask your prof for help if you have trouble with them.
6)For each test, in addition to your recopied notes, make a study page with condensed info. Put all formulas and important definitions on it. Kind of a outline of your notes. Keep this with you the week of the test, and look at it often to help you remember. If you know the formulas and have practiced enough problems, you should be fine.
*Another thing I've found essential is having a solutions manual to accompany your text. If you don't have one in your school book store, check amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com to buy one. If you can't check your answers to your work, you have no idea whether or not you're on the right track. Always attempt the problem first before looking up the answer. This is the only way you can truly learn.

Best of luck to you. These are just ideas...do what works for you...but I'd thought I'd share what has worked for me.

sorry, I thought you were taking chem 2. My mistake. I think the same info applies to chem I though. Best of luck. You should be fine, since you're starting from the beginning. Good luck.

Like MedSchoolOrBust has already stated, I also cannot stress enough how important it is to do ALL the relevent problems in your textbook. Sometimes, it will really benefit you to go over and beyond the ones that are assigned. Learning chemisty---whether it be general or organic--- is all about the problems. If I were you I would spend more time on solving these rather than putting your efforts and time to memorizing formulas and concepts from flashcards. The more problems you do, the better you will understand the concepts and more importantly, the more proficient you'll be at solving them on the exams. Chem is always evaluated in some problem-based way; you're not going to have to 'define' or 'compare and contrast' such-and-such concept. It doesn't hurt to also repeat some of the problems that you've already solved in the past (you'll be surprised how easy it gets the more and more you do).

Most of all, if you can get your hands on a practice test from the year before, DO IT!!!!! Do them before you even open your book to study for the exam. You'll be a lot more effective and efficient when you have some direction as to not only what's important, but also how to approach the material. (At least you can see how your professor thinks, in some round about way). Do it again after you're done.

Listen to me and I'll put A's in your teeth.:)

Most of all, if you can get your hands on a practice test from the year before, DO IT!!!!! Do them before you even open your book to study for the exam. You'll be a lot more effective and efficient when you have some direction as to not only what's important, but also how to approach the material. (At least you can see how your professor thinks, in some round about way). Do it again after you're done.

I think this is wisdom, beyond any that will ever be bestowed. Old exams tell you everything about a course, the exams, and the professor.

I have to agree with Triangulation. I always did the old exams before the exams in Chem I, the old exams basically will tell you what kind of questions you can expect on the exams.

Just had to relate a murphy's law kind of thing.

Throughout the christmas break, even on our vacation to NC, I was working on the 1st chapter in my chem book. Got it down pat. I did all the problems twice. Figured if I stay a chapter ahead I should get the A I need. Had my first Chem class last night. Received my syllabus. The teacher is starting with Chapter 7. Then 8 and 9. Then she will go back to chapter 1. :rolleyes:

I am not sure how you guys studied Chem I+II vs. Organic Chem. However, for me, studying Chem I+II is really a JOKE comparing to Organic Chemistry. I remember that for a typical test in Chem I+II, I just spent like 5-6 hours and got A+. As of Organic Chemistry, it didn't work that way. I studied with the habit in Chem II+II and get a B- at the first exam. OChem is NOT a joke.

ANyway, how to study for Chem I+II? I don't know know how it works for you. For me, I just attended lecture, do the problems right at the lecture while the teacher was explaining on the board. Homework? Pretty much formulated, unlike Organic Chemistry...you really have to know what you are doing.

That's the problem with studying ahead of time. I tried to do that before fall semester and it didn't work at all. Nothing that I read was covered in class. They all seemed to start in the middle of the book and then jump around randomly.

However, for me, studying Chem I+II is really a JOKE comparing to Organic Chemistry.

Yup. this indeed is true.