MD Checking my chances again...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gabyoh23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously posted on here asking what my chances would be towards the beginning of this cycle, and it seemed generally positive, but I kind of wanted some more input now that we've gone through roughly 1/4th-1/3rd of this cycle.

Here's my stats/ECs briefly:
- 3.50 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA, 30 MCAT (8PS/10V/12BS); my freshman year isn't great, but there's a very strong upward trend for the following 3 years
- 2 summers' worth of shadowing a physician and acting as a nursing assistant in a family practice clinic
- fairly extensive research in neuroendocrinology, which was supported by a competitive grant that I was awarded through my undergrad (no publications or presentations, however)
- worked for a few months full-time as a medical screener with a plasma donation facility where I counseled many individuals of lower socioeconomic standing about health concerns (I address this in interviews/secondaries since patient education is my main reason for wanting to be a doc)
- vice president of undergrad's women in science club for one year and had an internship with a national non-profit that allowed me to learn more about the underrepresentation of women in science fields (something that I emphasize in interviews/secondaries, as well)
- stepped up as fundraising committee chair of my undergrad's pre-medical society and planned a fundraiser in just 2 weeks that raised money to purchase mosquito nets for families in Africa

I've been rejected from 3 schools so far (Meharry, Rosalind Franklin, and Tulane), and they all came about a month after my secondaries for the respective schools were completed. Not sure what the quick rejections mean if anyone could shed some light on that.

However, I've luckily had 2 interviews so far. I had an interview early September with VCU that I thought went okay. They changed my interviewer at the last second, so I spent much of my time reiterating stuff from my file that the interviewer hadn't had a chance to read. I have yet to hear back from VCU and have been placed on a post-interview hold. The other interview was with EVMS in late October, and I've been waitlisted there and am in the middle third of the waitlist. I'm in-state for both of these schools. I also have an interview invite from Albany and will be interviewing there in January.

So, taking into account the 2 interviews (presumably 3), can I get an update on my chances for this cycle? Thanks so much for reading all this!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're not URM, the rejection from Meharry is kind of obvious. I would have expected bit more love from Rosy F though. The problems I see are below avg GPAs and MCAT, although these aren't lethal. What concerns me is the lack of patient contact experience. I suspect and worry that your interviews may end up in wait listing only.

Basically, you need to show more evidence that you want to spend the next 40 years being around sick people, and like it.

I previously posted on here asking what my chances would be towards the beginning of this cycle, and it seemed generally positive, but I kind of wanted some more input now that we've gone through roughly 1/4th-1/3rd of this cycle.

Here's my stats/ECs briefly:
- 3.50 cGPA, 3.40 sGPA, 30 MCAT (8PS/10V/12BS); my freshman year isn't great, but there's a very strong upward trend for the following 3 years
- 2 summers' worth of shadowing a physician and acting as a nursing assistant in a family practice clinic
- fairly extensive research in neuroendocrinology, which was supported by a competitive grant that I was awarded through my undergrad (no publications or presentations, however)
- worked for a few months full-time as a medical screener with a plasma donation facility where I counseled many individuals of lower socioeconomic standing about health concerns (I address this in interviews/secondaries since patient education is my main reason for wanting to be a doc)
- vice president of undergrad's women in science club for one year and had an internship with a national non-profit that allowed me to learn more about the underrepresentation of women in science fields (something that I emphasize in interviews/secondaries, as well)
- stepped up as fundraising committee chair of my undergrad's pre-medical society and planned a fundraiser in just 2 weeks that raised money to purchase mosquito nets for families in Africa

I've been rejected from 3 schools so far (Meharry, Rosalind Franklin, and Tulane), and they all came about a month after my secondaries for the respective schools were completed. Not sure what the quick rejections mean if anyone could shed some light on that.

However, I've luckily had 2 interviews so far. I had an interview early September with VCU that I thought went okay. They changed my interviewer at the last second, so I spent much of my time reiterating stuff from my file that the interviewer hadn't had a chance to read. I have yet to hear back from VCU and have been placed on a post-interview hold. The other interview was with EVMS in late October, and I've been waitlisted there and am in the middle third of the waitlist. I'm in-state for both of these schools. I also have an interview invite from Albany and will be interviewing there in January.

So, taking into account the 2 interviews (presumably 3), can I get an update on my chances for this cycle? Thanks so much for reading all this!