Cheapest overall DPT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aero SSX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I have been doing some research on some of the programs. I tried using this site: http://physical-therapy-schools.findthebest.com/ as well as apta.org. Should I use the PTCAS site instead?

But it seems the prices are off at times. I also go to the school's website and it can be difficult to find the tuition for out of state, and even when you find the tuition, it becomes hard to figure in other expenses like room and board, etc.

I live in Minnesota, and of the four programs we have, the cheapest seems to be the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. I think perhaps one or two in Wisconsin or Iowa may be doable. What are some cheap programs you know about? I'm open to anywhere in the country, though it seems it's more the midwest and south as far as cheap is concerned. Thanks.

Oh, and I should note that I'm not interested in any sort of military program such as Baylor. While I realize the program would be the best financially, I'm not interested in joining the military as it isn't something I value, so that's the one thing I'm not interested in.

Members don't see this ad.

Since you live in Minnesota, schools in Wisconsin are going to be very expensive because you'll pay OOS tuition. The least expensive program for you will be UM- Twin Cities, or whichever public program in Minnesota has the least expensive tuition. Every private school and ever OOS school will be more expensive. If you want to save money on tuition, your best option will be to endure the long harsh winters in Minnesota.

Kevin

Programs in Texas tend to be some of the most affordable in the country, even for out of state students. Some of them offer out-of-state tuition waivers as scholarships, too (though they don't say this on their websites, so you need to ask schools directly). Most Texas programs don't use PTCAS, so you need to look at their websites directly. Also, NAU can be a pretty affordable program for out-of-state students, and they also offer a small number of out-of-state tuition waivers. Keep in mind that any of the most affordable programs are also going to be among the most competitive, though. I was told that NAU had over 1200 applicants last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you live in Minnesota, schools in Wisconsin are going to be very expensive because you'll pay OOS tuition. The least expensive program for you will be UM- Twin Cities, or whichever public program in Minnesota has the least expensive tuition. Every private school and ever OOS school will be more expensive. If you want to save money on tuition, your best option will be to endure the long harsh winters in Minnesota.

Kevin

I mentioned some of the nearby states because some of the DPT programs there have special, reduced price out of state tuition for Minnesota residents. These are only for probably 3 or 4 programs though. Anyways thanks guys. I'll keep this in mind. I will probably do U of M if they accept me. It doesn't appear that they're crazy hard to get into, but not the easiest either. I'll plan on applying to 3-5 programs and getting the pre-reqs done for them.

Also, I'm thinking of just the U of M for Minnesota because St. Scholastica, the Mayo and St. Catherine are all quite pricey (25k+/yr) and they are very difficult to get into.

Idaho state is like 50k going 1 year out of state and 2 in state.... My opinion... Don't let tuition costs govern your decisions where you apply or go.. It has to be a part of the equation, yes, but shouldn't be the sole reason you go to a school. Find the school that is the best fit for you and make it work.