Charles R. Drew University Master of Science in Biomedical Science 2018 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackStar90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought I would make this thread in case anyone had questions about this program. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm currently completing the application for this program and can't seem to find many people talking about it here on SDN. I'd love to hear some reviews or insight on the program from those who have been in this program.

Hey!

I'll copy and paste my answer to some questions I was asked in another thread and if you have any more specific questions let me know:

1. Can you work during the time while doing the program?
2. How much is the total overall cost?
3. How difficult was the program?

1. You have to do around a min of 15 hrs of research per week and min 20 for summer. So no I would advise you not to work. It's not feasible unless you do work study, and possibly get work study for research.
2. For grad school it's $924 per unit hour and is 36 credit hours so that plus other fees comes to around 33 K. Which is actually on the cheap side especially for an acclerated thesis program. And the amount of stuff you are exposed to and opportunities it's really a gem.
3. Very difficult but do able. Your professors want to see you do well but require a lot from you. I would say since some of the professors teach the PA students, MNP students etc expect the level of difficulty to be that of PA school or Masters level Nursing school. It is alot. And even more challenging with research. But again, so worth it!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'll copy and paste my answer to some questions I was asked in another thread and if you have any more specific questions let me know:

1. You have to do around a min of 15 hrs of research per week and min 20 for summer. So no I would advise you not to work. It's not feasible unless you do work study, and possibly get work study for research.
2. For grad school it's $924 per unit hour and is 36 credit hours so that plus other fees comes to around 33 K. Which is actually on the cheap side especially for an acclerated thesis program. And the amount of stuff you are exposed to and opportunities it's really a gem.
3. Very difficult but do able. Your professors want to see you do well but require a lot from you. I would say since some of the professors teach the PA students, MNP students etc expect the level of difficulty to be that of PA school or Masters level Nursing school. It is alot. And even more challenging with research. But again, so worth it!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for your reply! I recently discovered this program after completing other SMP applications, but I'm extremely appealed by the mission of this program for its dedication to underserved communities locally and the inclusion of global medicine. The website doesn't have a lot of information in regards to this, but could you elaborate on the opportunities for community service or clinical volunteering that available to MBS program students? I'd really like to stay involved and take advantage of these opportunities if accepted.

Thank you so much for your reply! I recently discovered this program after completing other SMP applications, but I'm extremely appealed by the mission of this program for its dedication to underserved communities locally and the inclusion of global medicine. The website doesn't have a lot of information in regards to this, but could you elaborate on the opportunities for community service or clinical volunteering that available to MBS program students? I'd really like to stay involved and take advantage of these opportunities if accepted.

Absolutely! So as you already know the whole university is committed to serving the underserved. There are really endless opportunities to serve in the city. to be honest. The university is unique in that there are many medically related programs and they tailor them all to address the drastic needs in the area. There are also student organizations that are always serving in the city in some manner. For the program specifically, you have the opportunity to do some border trips through one of the classes. And class happened to be my favorite class!

Reactions: 1 user
hey I know this is an old post. However I just got accepted to this masters program and would love to know more about it. Especially there is not really that much information for those who are thinking of going to dental school.

hey I know this is an old post. However I just got accepted to this masters program and would love to know more about it. Especially there is not really that much information for those who are thinking of going to dental school.
Congrats! Feel free to PM me with your questions.

I also just got accepted, would you be comfortable answering more questions?

Hey! I was very pleased with the program, and I am attending my dream school (Columbia), and I also had multiple acceptances. The program was tailored toward advancing the education of minorities and giving us a presence in health care. I highly recommend. :)
Right. We have people getting into all kinds of programs from the West coast time the East coast. Best decision I made for grad school was coming to Drew.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!

1. I worked full time, it was stressful, but it all worked out.
2. I believe about 15k
3. The program was intense, some people were not holding up. Overall if you accept the challenge that it is a rigorous program conditioning you for an even more intense professional school course load, you will rise to the occasion. In addition, you prove to your prospective professional program that you can handle a science-based fully loaded program. It's all about proving/reinventing/enhancing yourself.

1. I worked full time, it was stressful, but it all worked out.
2. I believe about 15k
3. The program was intense, some people were not holding up. Overall if you accept the challenge that it is a rigorous program conditioning you for an even more intense professional school course load, you will rise to the occasion. In addition, you prove to your prospective professional program that you can handle a science-based fully loaded program. It's all about proving/reinventing/enhancing yourself.
The BMS is ~32 K for full cost of attendance.