Charles R. Drew University (CDU) Master of Science in Biomedical Science(MBS) 2019 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCcalistud18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone been accepted or applied this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Yes I have applied, and I plan to attend. I haven't found a ton of information on the program, to be honest, so would be great to speak to some other prospective students!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, that is awesome. I was accepted as well and plan on attending. I have heard a couple of things about it. For the most part people have told me it really prepares you for the first year of medical school. They have also mentioned that classes take place at night between the hours of 5 and 9 pm. I believe you have Fridays off. There are no formal/informal linkages to Drew or Geffen. I think they have some linkages to the Western DO program as well as Ross SOM. Although there are no linkages, some students have been able to matriculate into Drew, UCD, UCR, and other medical schools. Former students have mentioned that the staff is great and the professors really care about the students. Also, you have the option of completing a 2nd year and receiving an MPH degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, that is awesome. I was accepted as well and plan on attending. I have heard a couple of things about it. For the most part people have told me it really prepares you for the first year of medical school. They have also mentioned that classes take place at night between the hours of 5 and 9 pm. I believe you have Fridays off. There are no formal/informal linkages to Drew or Geffen. I think they have some linkages to the Western DO program as well as Ross SOM. Although there are no linkages, some students have been able to matriculate into Drew, UCD, UCR, and other medical schools. Former students have mentioned that the staff is great and the professors really care about the students. Also, you have the option of completing a 2nd year and receiving an MPH degree.
Class of 2019 CDU SMP-er here. All the above is true.

Past students who got an 3.7+ GPA got into MD programs even with mediocre MCAT scores (500-505).

Schedule is pretty nice. It lets you have time to do research and study. Jobs are HEAVILY not recommended during the program.

Three semester long, research thesis based program.

Fall schedule: Mon (4-7pm), Tue (4-7pm), Wed (3-5pm, 6-8pm), Thurs (4-7pm)
Spring schedule: Mon (4-7pm), Tue (3-6pm), Wed (3-5pm, 6-9pm), Thurs (4-7pm)
Summer schedule: Wed (3-5pm), Thurs (3-6pm)

Reactions: 1 users

Past students who got an 3.7+ GPA got into MD programs even with mediocre MCAT scores (500-505).

Schedule is pretty nice. It lets you have time to do research and study. Jobs are HEAVILY not recommended during the program.

Are you a former student?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what the acceptance rate for the CDU SMP was. I haven't been able to find any statistics about the program online and was hoping any of you guys had any luck. I'm applying right now and getting pretty anxious during this last grind.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering what the acceptance rate for the CDU SMP was. I haven't been able to find any statistics about the program online and was hoping any of you guys had any luck. I'm applying right now and getting pretty anxious during this last grind.
Hi, I'm not sure. It is pretty difficult to find any statistics. I asked during my interview but was told not to focus on any numbers. I recall applying and receiving an interview within one week. Waiting another week and being accepted. That's all I have.

Hi everyone!

We have about 500 applicants for 25 fixed slots every year, so about a 7% acceptance rate. They might expand the number admitted this year to 30. Also we use rolling based admissions. To my knowledge, they keep a few slots open for applicants later in the cycle. However, don't freak out. You are competitive as long as you have a 3.0 overall and a 498 MCAT/ 300 GRE/ 18 DAT/ 70 PCAT/ 300 OAT or above.

Hi, I'm not sure. It is pretty difficult to find any statistics. I asked during my interview but was told not to focus on any numbers. I recall applying and receiving an interview within one week. Waiting another week and being accepted. That's all I have.
Yeah, I agree. Thanks for the reply though! Congrats on the interview and I hope you hear back soon!

We have about 500 applicants for 25 fixed slots every year, so about a 7% acceptance rate. They might expand the number admitted this year to 30. Also we use rolling based admissions. To my knowledge, they keep a few slots open for applicants later in the cycle. However, don't freak out. You are competitive as long as you have a 3.0 overall and a 498 MCAT/ 300 GRE/ 18 DAT/ 70 PCAT/ 300 OAT or above.
Ahhh thank you so much! This is really helpful just so I know what to expect.

Are the times for classes set and stone? Were class times the same for everyone in the program? Thanks.

Are the times for classes set and stone? Were class times the same for everyone in the program? Thanks.
Yes, classes are M-Th in the PM usually starting around 3-4 and ending from 7-9 depending on the day. But I don’t know how or if it’s modified because of it going into online sessions.

Just wondering, are there any accepted students for 2020-2021 that are out of state and looking for a roommate?

For anyone who applied for the Biomedical Science Masters for this upcoming year, about how long did it take for CDU to reach out after submitting the app?

Are there any groupme’s for students accepted for 2020 program? I would love to join and connect

Hello! I've been accepted to the program for this upcoming year and I can't find any other current information on the MBS program. If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience with the program. Was the program as rigorous as you expected it to be? I am still trying to make a final decision and I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences before committing. Thank you in advance! :)

Hello! I've been accepted to the program for this upcoming year and I can't find any other current information on the MBS program. If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience with the program. Was the program as rigorous as you expected it to be? I am still trying to make a final decision and I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences before committing. Thank you in advance! :)
Did you receive an interview? if so, what kind of questions did they ask?