Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itskittytime

Reaction score
Hi a Canadian applicant here.
I just wanted to know what stats are competive for Australian med school.

Would a GPA of 3.75 and MCAT of 504 be suffice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A resounding yes. You will make it if I did, and my stats are lower than yours.

Just be yourself at interviews, be chilllll baby

Reactions: 1 user
hey, whats the process in applying to australian med schools? for more context, im current pursuing my undergrad at a US institution, but im a foreign citizens (no US citizenship/no permanent residency) and just wanted to evaluate my options going into the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a GPA of 3.75 and MCAT of 504 be suffice?

Yes. Just do well with your application, i.e. CV Portfolio & Referee Reports plus the Interview process. In my experience, GPA >3 out of 4 and MCAT >500, is sufficient to be considered for application review and may be offered an interview.

hey, whats the process in applying to australian med schools? for more context, im current pursuing my undergrad at a US institution, but im a foreign citizens (no US citizenship/no permanent residency) and just wanted to evaluate my options going into the future.

Each university has differing preresequites and minimum requirements for medical school applications, and you apply to them directly. If you're applying later as a graduate entry student (i.e. someone who has already attained a degree), then generally & basically speaking you need: 1) GPA, 2) GAMSAT or MCAT, 3) CV Portfolio & Referee Report, 4) Interview, 5) English Language Competency, 6) Student Visa Elligibility, 7) Money to pay for the tuition fees and residence in Australia.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! I am above their GPA cutoff but i dont have an amazing 3.7-4.0 GPA. However, my EC's are good which i can talk about during the interview and MCAT score of 512.

The GPA & GAMSAT/MCAT score is just the minimum preresequite to be considered. Each medical school has their own algorithm that weighs each component differently. Some place more emphasis on the CV-Portfolio & Interview components, whereas some place more emphasis on the academic scores. If you didn't do as well in one aspect, probably good to make up for it in another aspect.

Thank you both for the insights. My school is notoriously hard for dishing out low GPA's which is why I worked hard for the MCAT as well as collectively gathered multiple clinical, work and volunteer experiences.

Hoping for UniMelb or USyd at the moment so let's see!