What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2020hopeful

MD student at the University of Sydney
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Finally applied/applying for medical school in Australia.

I recently completed my Master of Science degree (2 courses + research and thesis) in medicine and am anxious to hear back from Australian schools as the Canadian cycle was heartbreaking for me this year.

I have applied to UQ and Griffith and will be applying to UWA and Sydney. What are my chances of getting interviews and accepted hopefully?

undergrad GPA: 3.11 (chose the wrong major..)
master's GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 507 (123/130/127/127)

Pretty nervous about hearing back so would love to hear some feedback.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has the application cycle opened? It's only Feb.....

I think most schools require you to get at least 125 in each section. Your c/p score seems to be a bit lower.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools require you to get at least 125 in each section. Your c/p score seems to be a bit lower.

This is false. Griffith requires a minimum 123 in each section. Sydney wants an overall minimum of 500 total with no sub section minimum. These scores have not changed in years. UQ now requires a 504 minimum total but no sub section minimum.

This is false. Griffith requires a minimum 123 in each section. Sydney wants an overall minimum of 500 total with no sub section minimum. These scores have not changed in years. UQ now requires a 504 minimum total but no sub section minimum.
Thanks for the correction!

Yeah, the schools I'm applying to don't have a 125 minimum on each section requirement.

Mcat_taker: Do you have an idea on my chances? Think I will receive an interview from some/all schools?

Yeah, the schools I'm applying to don't have a 125 minimum on each section requirement.

Mcat_taker: Do you have an idea on my chances? Think I will receive an interview from some/all schools?

You'll be fine. It's not hard to get in as an international (because they are in no obligation to train you after you graduate and need your tuition dollars) although getting harder in recent years as I can see from UQ's upward MCAT trend from 496-504 (first come first serve so get apps in early). 507 mcat is well above their cut offs. Thats all they really care about. They usually weigh your last GPA more heavily or only use that one so your 4.0 masters GPA will help.

Don't stress too much you'll do fine and likely get in somewhere. Maybe throw in an app to Flinders. UQ, Sydney, Griffith, Flinders are the big 4 in terms of where I've seen internationals attend the most frequently. Don't know anything about UWA.