Chances of scores being voided?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YeaYea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here's what happened. I was finished with my natural sciences and pat sections and just coming back from my break when I forgot I still had my cell phone in my pocket. I hadn't started the next section yet, and sat down for like 30 seconds before I realized, and got up and gave the phone to the proctors. The thing is there are these old bio notes on my phone that I totally forgot about, and they had to write me up for that situation. Now what do you think are the chances of my scores being voided? If they inspect the video, they will see that I hadn't even ended my break, was certainly done with the science section, and didn't even look at my phone before giving it back. It was an honest mistake and I tried to do the right thing by giving it back. Has anyone heard of a situation like this and what happened?

Never heard of anything like that happening...I think they only video tape you in the testing room though, so it might be hard for you to prove to them that you didn't go check your phone in the bathroom or something...did the proctor know you have bio notes on your phone, or just that you had your phone? Maybe they won't find out about...I don't know, could be a sticky situation. Good luck, and hopefully it works out!

oh no, they knew about the bio notes, that's why they wrote me up. but i didn't know there was a rule about us checking notes during our break, I thought we were allowed to look at anything we wanted as long as it wasn't in the test room (although looking at bio notes after I had already finished the sciences section wouldn't make sense anyway). I thought the most important thing was that we don't look at anything while in the test room, and I didn't.

Yeah that's true...well I don't see how looking at bio notes after the sciences would be considered cheating...they will probably just look into it and confirm the same thing themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
one question.
do the proctors believe that you didn't have ur phone during your sci/pat section?
i think that answering this question is critical in your case.
good luck

Why did you tell them you had bio notes on your phone to begin with?

They would never know.

You should have just told them you had your phone in your pocket and you forgot about it. They can see on the video that you did not look at your phone during the science section right? They have enough cameras...

Plus, you went to the bathroom during your break..which was AFTER the science section anyway..so assuming thats the only time you left the testing center I am sure you will be fine.

:\ I knew you weren't allowed to have any notes or cellphone with u .. even during the break. I heard a story where a person was just going to his locker.. and a piece of note fell out from lit.. he got written up.. so.. cellphone with u period was a bad idea. I don't think it's a matter of if u looked into your cellphone for the bio notes.. it's the idea that u had it with u at all! :scared: Best of luck to u tho :(.

no i didn't have my phone with me during the science section or pat, they can confirm that on the video and the proctor wrote that on the explanation. i didn't tell them i had bio notes on it, they have to check the pictures, it's standard procedure. in fact i didn't even remember i had those notes on it till after the test when they informed me. but yeah honestly if they review the video and everything they will see i did nothing wrong, other than an honest mistake that I didn't benefit from.

i really hope the ADA will be reasonable about this. anyone using common sense will see I tried to do the right thing and I didn't benefit from anything I did wrong. and also, i thought u were allowed to look at notes during your break, don't some people look over math notes, etc, during their break?

Not true.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=646994

Yikes!

You had bio notes on your phone? Why? I believe you, but everything you've described sounds really suspicious, you finishing sciences, you giving your phone, them seeing bio notes on your phone...
Goodluck with this situation. Its gonna take some repercusions, but you've gotta stay strong and show them that you can still do it. Take the DAT asap if you can?

Here's what happened. I was finished with my natural sciences and pat sections and just coming back from my break when I forgot I still had my cell phone in my pocket. I hadn't started the next section yet, and sat down for like 30 seconds before I realized, and got up and gave the phone to the proctors. The thing is there are these old bio notes on my phone that I totally forgot about, and they had to write me up for that situation. Now what do you think are the chances of my scores being voided? If they inspect the video, they will see that I hadn't even ended my break, was certainly done with the science section, and didn't even look at my phone before giving it back. It was an honest mistake and I tried to do the right thing by giving it back. Has anyone heard of a situation like this and what happened?
I believe that you made an honest mistake!
However, I think there might be a good chance that your scores will be voided, because:

-First, they are very strict and clear about what you can and cannot take into the exam. So, you clearly knew the rules and you still broke them (intentionally or unintentionally).
-Second, you had notes on your phone. So, you didn't really forget to turn in your "Phone;" you forgot to turn in your "cheat-sheet."
-Third, you turned in your phone after you were done with the science section, which interestingly enough includes the questions on biology, and your phone contained notes on exactly that subject.

They'll probably check the tape, but I don't think that's enough to get you off the hook. If they decide they want to give you a hard time, they can easily do so! I mean, they don't even let you take off your jacket if in the middle of the exam, and here you are turning a cellphone containing biology notes in?! What exactly were you thinking?

Anyways, I hope they give you a break on this one; otherwise, voiding your scores would be the least of you worries, as this might ruin your future chances of retaking the exam.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
my question is, how did you get your phone during your break in the first place?? you have to lock everything you brought into a locker, and they don't let you in it during your bathroom break.

I think the crappy testing center should be blamed b/c they didn't follow their own rules. When I finished the first section I went out on the break and asked if I could have my locker key so I could go call my wife. The guy first had to go check the DAT rules to see if that was allowed...after about 8minutes of my break were gone he told me that not only could I not use my phone but that accessing my locker was not allowed. Also, upon entering the test room both times I was required to turn all my pockets inside-out.
All in all, you should have known the rules... Ignorance is never a good excuse. Ultimately, the testing center should be held accountable for not doin their part. Best of luck.

that's odd.....i called ADA to make sure what I could do during the break, and they told me that I could pretty much do anything including using the restroom, have a snack, look at notes, prepare my dry erase board for the following sections, or even call a friend. Although i do believe this is a completely honest mistake, I'm not sure if the ADA is going to take this lightly. They're very wary of test-takers writing down DAT questions and leaving the center with them, thus why they implemented the horrible dry erase paper system. Good luck with your situation, be sure to keep us posted. How did your scores turn out if you dont mind me asking?

I wasn't aware of such a rule

It's in the ADA DAT guide, which you have to check that you have read and understood it before you can sign up to take the DAT

I think that because Prometric offers hundreds of different tests, they place the onus of responsibility on you for knowing the DAT rules

I hope it turns out ok for you.

I know that. I wasn't saying that to make an excuse, but to explain why I did what I did. Yes, I made a mistake, but I hope that there is some room for consideration of each particular situation in ADA's book.

I would hope so too, if you weren't in fact cheating. I'm sure you weren't. Ignorance may be tough to claim since you agreed to knowing the rules when you signed up, is what I was trying to say.

The worst part is having to wait to find out. I can't imagine how agonizing that must be.

I really think it was the testing center's mistake too! When I went in to take my DAT they asked for my cell phone. I said I left it in my car, and they called it to make sure I don't even put in my locker. The guy explained to me that I cannot check any notes during the break whatsoever. I also had to reverse all of my six pockets. They must remind test takers of the conditions. In you defense you could say that you were not reminded of the conditions. good luck!!

I really think it was the testing center's mistake too! When I went in to take my DAT they asked for my cell phone. I said I left it in my car, and they called it to make sure I don't even put in my locker. The guy explained to me that I cannot check any notes during the break whatsoever. I also had to reverse all of my six pockets. They must remind test takers of the conditions. In you defense you could say that you were not reminded of the conditions. good luck!!

You can plead ignorance as your defense? Doesn't sound like a very strong defense...

In my opinion, in a fair and logical world, they would take the time to check the tapes and see that you were in fact not cheating and that would be that.

But in this world, they probably won't even take the time to thoroughly view the tapes and will just void ur score and label you as a cheater. In their defense, they would say that they expected you to have known the rules and they shouldn't have to baby you through the process since you are applying to professional schools.