Chances of Rads Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mp2067

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on applying to Radiology, but I feel my scores are too low. I've talked to some residents and they say it's more about how you fit into the program, but still I'm nervous. How can I improve my application? Step 1: 226, Clerkships: just passes so far. have 2 clerkships left. I haven't done any rads specific research, but I do have a few publications in other things. I'm planning on writing step 2 early and hopefully get over 240.
Another obstacle is that I'm not an american citizen, I'm from Singapore but I've done undergrad in the US, and I go to a medical school in the midwest on a student visa, so I would need a visa during residency.

What can I do to improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

If this years match is any indication- you're going to have a steep uphill battle. Low Step 1 + poor clinical grades + FMG status = ingredients for SOAP. Radiology average Step 2 is ~250 so I would recommend scoring at least >250-255. Would also recommend having a backup if you choose to apply rads.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I'm planning on applying to Radiology, but I feel my scores are too low. I've talked to some residents and they say it's more about how you fit into the program, but still I'm nervous. How can I improve my application? Step 1: 226, Clerkships: just passes so far. have 2 clerkships left. I haven't done any rads specific research, but I do have a few publications in other things. I'm planning on writing step 2 early and hopefully get over 240.
Another obstacle is that I'm not an american citizen, I'm from Singapore but I've done undergrad in the US, and I go to a medical school in the midwest on a student visa, so I would need a visa during residency.

Not only will you have difficulty getting Radiology position, but also prelim IM. You have 3 strikes against you:

1) Step 1 nearly 20 pts below specialty average
2) Below average clinical grades
3) Requiring Visa sponsorship

If you are dead set on DR - I suggest you take a research year to get a >260 Step2CK and pump out at least 3 first author manuscripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
He’ll match DR. He’s NOT a FMG. He’s an american grad that happens to need a VISA

Reactions: 3 users

The Step 1 is on the lower side, but it does not shut you out, however it will be very challenging for top programs. You will have to apply broadly. Improving on Step 2 CK will be helpful. Aim to achieve honors on your remaining MS3 rotations.

You will not be treated as an FMG since you will be a US MD grad. I applied for residency as a US MD on a student visa.

You have to call and email programs to see which ones offer an H1 visa; this will require some work on your part. I noticed some hospitals offered H1 visas to US grads in specific specialties and not in others. For example, I recall BIDMC offered the H1 visa to US grads in IM, but not radiology. At NYU, it was a GME office policy to offer H1 visas to US grads in all specialties. Frieda listed Stanford as offering the H1 visa, however the hospital only offers J1. Policies change from year to year, so verify policies when it's time to apply.

Some programs also require you pass Step 3 before you get the H1. As such, F1 visa students tend to use the OPT option as PGY1's, and complete Step 3 early enough to facilitate early H1 application for the PGY2 year (see Pitt).

You can't moonlight on a J1. Also consider that, if applying for fellowship, some programs may ask you to give up your H1 since they only sponsor J1's.

The H1 visa is superior, however the J1 is not a death sentence. Where I did my prelim program, a lot of the J1 IMG residents got nice hospitalist job offers and are using the J1 waiver program.

Crap I should have read better- didn't realize they completed medical school in the US. That changes a lot.

He’ll match DR. He’s NOT a FMG. He’s an american grad that happens to need a VISA

Can you explain the difference? In term of affecting competitiveness.

It hurts a little, but I believe it is negligible in the big picture. US MD needing a visa is much better status than that of a US citizen who is a Caribbean grad.

If this years match is any indication- you're going to have a steep uphill battle. Low Step 1 + poor clinical grades + FMG status = ingredients for SOAP. Radiology average Step 2 is ~250 so I would recommend scoring at least >250-255. Would also recommend having a backup if you choose to apply rads.

I was afraid of that. But I will be an American grad. I was thinking of doing a few research projects and get them published or at least close to it before applications are due. I'm planning on studying hard and getting honors in my next 2 clerkships, and doing a lot of electives with my school's program to get to know the department really well. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm going to start studying for step 2 soon and take it in July. Should I do away rotations?

Also for the Visa situation, F1 opt> H1B > J1 is my preferance. Quite a few programs offer F1 and H1b to my surprise. But also about 35% of the people who matched this year were FMGs, and they probably have above average scores to match I'm guessing.

I was afraid of that. But I will be an American grad. I was thinking of doing a few research projects and get them published or at least close to it before applications are due. I'm planning on studying hard and getting honors in my next 2 clerkships, and doing a lot of electives with my school's program to get to know the department really well. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm going to start studying for step 2 soon and take it in July. Should I do away rotations?

Also for the Visa situation, F1 opt> H1B > J1 is my preferance. Quite a few programs offer F1 and H1b to my surprise. But also about 35% of the people who matched this year were FMGs, and they probably have above average scores to match I'm guessing.
You were an american medical student. This gives you better chances compared to FMGs who are graduates from abroad.

Not only will you have difficulty getting Radiology position, but also prelim IM. You have 3 strikes against you:

1) Step 1 nearly 20 pts below specialty average
2) Below average clinical grades
3) Requiring Visa sponsorship

If you are dead set on DR - I suggest you take a research year to get a >260 Step2CK and pump out at least 3 first author manuscripts.

Is there anything I can do within this year that won't force me to take a year off? Besides doing well on step 2, and doing some research projects?

Is there anything I can do within this year that won't force me to take a year off? Besides doing well on step 2, and doing some research projects?
That’s all you need to do. Whoever told you that you need a year off or multiple first author papers is wrong. This is from a senior rad resident who participate in selection.

FWIW, I've heard from a recent rads grad that the competition has been decreasing in the field and step 1 scores are coming back down to earth

I don't know how the visa thing will affect your chances... Someone in my class matched in NY (not a big name program) with 215 step1 and 230+ step2... He has some research background and good clerkship grades...

That’s all you need to do. Whoever told you that you need a year off or multiple first author papers is wrong. This is from a senior rad resident who participate in selection.

Wow this is encouraging to read, thank you!

What type of programs can I apply for with my score, I know it has to mid-low tier programs, but I can't really find any rankings. Can only find top 30 programs. Not the bottom 30 haha but regardless I would proabably have to apply broadly.

Also, how much do curren residents contribute to the selection process?

I don't know how the visa thing will affect your chances... Someone in my class matched in NY (not a big name program) with 215 step1 and 230+ step2... He has some research background and good clerkship grades...

Wow that's great for them! Hopefully I don't have to take a year off.

FWIW, I've heard from a recent rads grad that the competition has been decreasing in the field and step 1 scores are coming back down to earth

On the contrary, this year was more competitive compared to the previous one. The 2015 match was a buyer's market, relatively speaking.

Last edited:

You definitely need to do very well on Step 2 CK, shoot for 250+. Best thing you can do is to do an observership or rotation at a DR program that accepts IMGs and try to impress then and have them get to know you. Being a good fit is very important to program directors. If you can score high on your Step 2 and get along well with a program, you would have a better chance. But to be honest, I don't want to discourage you from what you want to pursue, but you would be wise to apply to IM as backup. Worst case scenario, do one year in an IM program, work very hard and do well, and try to transfer into a PGY2 radiology position at another program if there is an opening. Best of luck.

You definitely need to do very well on Step 2 CK, shoot for 250+. Best thing you can do is to do an observership or rotation at a DR program that accepts IMGs and try to impress then and have them get to know you. Being a good fit is very important to program directors. If you can score high on your Step 2 and get along well with a program, you would have a better chance. But to be honest, I don't want to discourage you from what you want to pursue, but you would be wise to apply to IM as backup. Worst case scenario, do one year in an IM program, work very hard and do well, and try to transfer into a PGY2 radiology position at another program if there is an opening. Best of luck.

He’s not an IMG/FMG...he shouldnt have any trouble matching from a USMD school. Needing a visa makes things a bit more tricky, but it’s not even close to being as tough as matching as a IMG/FMG. Top programs are out of the picture but matching somewhere is doable.