What are my chances of matching radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grundleplith_MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current M4, graduatingg this may 2022. went unmatched after applying ortho. Step 1 238 step 2 239, 2nd quartile of my class. Mostly HP 3rd year grades, 2 Hs peds and psych. 1 P FM. 3 ortho pubs. 4 projects. Multiple posters, 2 podiums. Plans of doing a research year, not set on where or in what specialty.
Late in 4th year I became super interested in radiology but unfortunately it was too little too late. Hoping to match next year in Radiology. What are my chances? Any help would be appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

Would that be a better decision than doing a research year? It's an option for sure, what could I do for a year?

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest question you need to address in your PS (and apps): Why Radiology?
Also, a research year in radiology may be beneficial to form connections and obtain strong LoRs. However, dont burn any bridges with your previous LoR writers, as radiology values clinical LoRs more.

Reactions: 1 user
You will match with your stats but I agree it's better to delay graduation and apply as a med student. This way you would still have the resources for med students available to you and you would be able to do radiology/IR rotations more easily.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest question you need to address in your PS (and apps): Why Radiology?
Also, a research year in radiology may be beneficial to form connections and obtain strong LoRs. However, dont burn any bridges with your previous LoR writers, as radiology values clinical LoRs more.
I will address those in my personal statement, thank you. The biggest reason is during my 3rd project this year, much of the work was centered around interpretation of advanced imaging. I worked with the radiologist assisting that project and became fascinated with their work. I'm a person who loves details and could see myself extremely happy in a radiology position.

I am keeping all of my ties and have strong ortho LORs. I know those will be invaluable reapplying. I have 2 more blocks as a 4th year and will use one of those in radiology. I emailed the PD this week to discuss. Thank you for your reply.

You will match with your stats but I agree it's better to delay graduation and apply as a med student. This way you would still have the resources for med students available to you and you would be able to do radiology/IR rotations more easily.
Thank you. I will also use my 2 remaining rotations available to me this year for radiology blocks. I'll explain my intent and hopefully get a strong letter of rec.

Current M4, graduatingg this may 2022. went unmatched after applying ortho. Step 1 238 step 2 239, 2nd quartile of my class. Mostly HP 3rd year grades, 2 Hs peds and psych. 1 P FM. 3 ortho pubs. 4 projects. Multiple posters, 2 podiums. Plans of doing a research year, not set on where or in what specialty.
Late in 4th year I became super interested in radiology but unfortunately it was too little too late. Hoping to match next year in Radiology. What are my chances? Any help would be appreciated?
Why don’t you scramble into prelim medicine or surgery and look for PGY-2 radiology spot the following year?

Why don’t you scramble into prelim medicine or surgery and look for PGY-2 radiology spot the following year?
How likely is it that I would find a R1 spot? From my understanding they are few and far between especially if you do a prelim year at a non academic center?

How likely is it that I would find a R1 spot? From my understanding they are few and far between especially if you do a prelim year at a non academic center?

There are some “R” or physician only spots. Most likely you’d land an “A” spot which IS an R1 position but the appointment will begin the year after the match results (so you’d have a gap year).

Would that be a better decision than doing a research year? It's an option for sure, what could I do for a year?

I'm not in the Radiology areas so I can't answer the title question.

An important point not addressed yet is I believe there's some programs that screen for "fresh US grads" and if you do the research year as opposed to the extension of graduation, your name will get filtered. The issue is most programs have filters before they start review and this one may be a common one applied. When you're worried about matching vs not-matching, this is one of the first road-blocks to tackle. While having connections to your program is a factor, if you keep in contact with those contacts (so long as they're not just admins responsible for all 100+ grads) they will still likely write you the letter then.

From third hand experience, I don't think radiology residency puts a particularly weightage on scholarly activity as opposed to something you're transitioning from like Orthopedics. It's not that it's a small plus, but outside of that and maybe it demonstrating you're serious about rads, there's better things to do to demonstrate an interest in Radiology. As above, clinical experience and comments of radiology clinical experience mean more probably.

Your stats are average for matched US MD applicants to radiology so you have a decent chance, although a notch is deducted for applying as a graduate (your future) and/or if your school is unranked, DO, or IMG (you did not specify).

If you're hoping to match next year in radiology, then obviously doing your research year in radiology rather than another specialty would be most advantageous. Finding a paid position at a prestigious institution with a well connected mentor is ideal. You will need your mentor to vouch for you or help get your foot in the door. Starting as soon as you can and working hard in the few months you have before ERAS is due will help strengthen that relationship.

If you cannot find a paid position, your alternative is to get a clinical internship. The advantage of this is you are also eligible for the smattering of physician (R) positions that would allow you to not lose time in training.

Your stats are average for matched US MD applicants to radiology so you have a decent chance, although a notch is deducted for applying as a graduate (your future) and/or if your school is unranked, DO, or IMG (you did not specify).

If you're hoping to match next year in radiology, then obviously doing your research year in radiology rather than another specialty would be most advantageous. Finding a paid position at a prestigious institution with a well connected mentor is ideal. You will need your mentor to vouch for you or help get your foot in the door. Starting as soon as you can and working hard in the few months you have before ERAS is due will help strengthen that relationship.

If you cannot find a paid position, your alternative is to get a clinical internship. The advantage of this is you are also eligible for the smattering of physician (R) positions that would allow you to not lose time in training.
I go to a public US state school in the south. I have applied to a couple research positions and will be meeting with the radiology department at my school this week to try and get their perspective and hopefully get some guidance. I wasn't aware that they filtered out graduates from the previous year, that is a bit concerning for sure. Ill have to discuss the possibility of delaying graduation.

I am not sure whether programs actually apply a filter against graduates, or whether that is just one factor considered among others in a holistic review. If the latter, being a med student in a research year vs. a graduate in a research year should not make a difference to them (unless you are successfully able to hide the fact that you did not match and doing the research year was in the plan all along), and to you it is a potentially significant difference in tuition/stipend.

In the last NRMP program director survey, half of the radiology PD respondents said they 'seldom' interviewed US MD grads, but it was not 'never' so I think they do *not* apply a filter up front.
1648509386999.png

I talked to my admins and delaying graduation is not offered at my school according to them.