chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro-cocks

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a 4th year at a U.S. med school applying to neurology currently. i have an approximate gpa of 3.4 or so and 221 step 1. obviously there are people on here who ask what their chances of matching into neurology are. i have intentions of going to residency in the southeast or approximate area. i have looked at about all the 20 programs down here. i was wondering what people thought of my chances of matching somewhere. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i am a 4th year at a U.S. med school applying to neurology currently. i have an approximate gpa of 3.4 or so and 221 step 1. obviously there are people on here who ask what their chances of matching into neurology are. i have intentions of going to residency in the southeast or approximate area. i have looked at about all the 20 programs down here. i was wondering what people thought of my chances of matching somewhere. thanks.

I think that like 93% of US Seniors match. So I guess your chance of not matching would be 5-7% (very, very slim!). But with a good enough step1 and gpa and assuming a good enough personality, the chances of not matching are probably slim to none.

Good luck!

for neuro with step 1 around a 220 you will be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
how about a step 1 score of 211?:confused:

Ok I need an honest opinon. I got my PhD in neuroscience, published 10 articles in different journal (7 as 1st author), taught undergraduate anatomy and physiology for 3 years, Attended a Carribean medical school and got a 3.91 GPA with 2 B's total (one in biochem and one in Peds). I got 219/89% on Step 1 and then the kicker, had a difficult step 2 (mostly Ob/Gyn and Peds) and got a 185/76% :( . Did I just kill all my chances of getting into a Neuro residency program. Anyone who has any experience your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok I need an honest opinon. I got my PhD in neuroscience, published 10 articles in different journal (7 as 1st author), taught undergraduate anatomy and physiology for 3 years, Attended a Carribean medical school and got a 3.91 GPA with 2 B's total (one in biochem and one in Peds). I got 219/89% on Step 1 and then the kicker, had a difficult step 2 (mostly Ob/Gyn and Peds) and got a 185/76% :( . Did I just kill all my chances of getting into a Neuro residency program. Anyone who has any experience your advice would be greatly appreciated.

You've got to be joking! Just apply! No one can tell you your chances

As mentioned already, no one can tell you your chances, but they seem pretty good to me. I'm mainly commenting to clarify that the two digit score on the USMLE does not correspond to percentile. They don't report percentiles anymore because those are not valid for comparisons amongst applicants who took the tests in different years, whereas the scores themselves apparently are. I've never understood why they persist with two scales of scoring.

As mentioned already, no one can tell you your chances, but they seem pretty good to me. I'm mainly commenting to clarify that the two digit score on the USMLE does not correspond to percentile. They don't report percentiles anymore because those are not valid for comparisons amongst applicants who took the tests in different years, whereas the scores themselves apparently are. I've never understood why they persist with two scales of scoring.

My understanding is that some states require a 2 digit score while others require a 3 digit score. I got the general feeling as I was interviewing that most programs focus on the 2 digit score rather than the 3. Not sure why.

My understanding is that some states require a 2 digit score while others require a 3 digit score. I got the general feeling as I was interviewing that most programs focus on the 2 digit score rather than the 3. Not sure why.

Lets say that in 2001 you took step 2 and scored 200 and the total test takers was 25000. In 2002 someone else took step 2 and scored 200 and the total test takers was 26000. Is the score of a 200 in 2001 the same as the score of 200 in 2002? Nope. So if a PD gets two applicants, one scored 200 in 2001 and one scored a 200 in 2002... are they the same level? Nope... you look at the two digit score and it tells you the real level because its adjusted for population of takers.

The PDs like the two digit score to equivilant someone taking the exam in in 2003 and someone in 2004 and someone in 2005..etc.

That's what I am told.. I am not a PD obviously.

The mistake that a lot of people still do is think that the two digit score is a percentage.

Lets say that in 2001 you took step 2 and scored 200 and the total test takers was 25000. In 2002 someone else took step 2 and scored 200 and the total test takers was 26000. Is the score of a 200 in 2001 the same as the score of 200 in 2002? Nope. So if a PD gets two applicants, one scored 200 in 2001 and one scored a 200 in 2002... are they the same level? Nope... you look at the two digit score and it tells you the real level because its adjusted for population of takers.

The PDs like the two digit score to equivilant someone taking the exam in in 2003 and someone in 2004 and someone in 2005..etc.

That's what I am told.. I am not a PD obviously.

The mistake that a lot of people still do is think that the two digit score is a percentage.
My handle on statistics is tenuous at best, but I don't think your explanation is correct. According to this the two-digit score and the three-digit score are essentially equivalent measures using different scales. I don't think that the number of test-takers would influence either score, and certainly not one more than the other.

My handle on statistics is tenuous at best, but I don't think your explanation is correct. According to this the two-digit score and the three-digit score are essentially equivalent measures using different scales. I don't think that the number of test-takers would influence either score, and certainly not one more than the other.

After reading it... I think you are correct... and that makes the two digit score mostly useless despite the fact that they seem to prefer it.

But...

The minimum passing grade has been known to change (from 180 to 183 for example) then the score to which 75 (the minimum passing grade on the two digit scale) changes. So it is still a way of equivilanting someone who took the exam when the passing was 183 and someone who took the exam when the passing was 180 etc.