chances of matching in a top 5 program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pitbull

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that radiology is getting very competitive nowadays. I'll be applying for the 2004-2005 year and was wondering if anyone could give some feedback about my chances of matching at a top 5 program (like Hopkins, Harvard, Stanford, UCSF). I have low 240s board score, 1 first author publication and one more by next year, am from a top 10 medical school, but am non-AOA and probably will get slightly better than average clerkship evaluations. Radiology letters of rec. should be pretty strong.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have a tough time matching into the top 5 most competitive radiology residencies if you're clinical grades are not up to par with other candidates. I can tell you that there were about 200 AOA applicants last year according to what I heard from a PD. You do the math top 5 programs x 10-15 spots per program = 50-75 spots. Having said that i'm sure you will match a decent radiology residency. What may give you an edge or better shot at some of the better programs will be a commitment to research as there is an increasing interest among top academic programs to be placing much more emphasis on research. Best of luck to you. Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks voxel for your reply. Just curious, what do you think of my chances if I get mostly honors during the clinical years (I just started clinics), so it's still possible to get AOA as the pre-clinical years are not graded here. Would my boards still be too low?